JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Given the insanity of the time, instead of buying a few different AR's, or really just buying an AK, trying to find a harder hitting option than just 556. I know the 6.8 is decent enough for hunting, and the 6.5 Grendel as well. What about an upper in 7.62x39? I don't think I have ever seen one, and it would seem a better option, (ie readily available), than one of the more specialty rounds. Is it just as easy as new mags and an upper, or?
Thinking out loud as usual maybe..
Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Yes they make 7.62x39 uppers. Getting magazines that feed well has always seemed to be a problem. The big problem is the straight section in the mag well and the 7.62x39 needs lots of curve. There are/were a couple of companies making lower that took AK mags.

Here is the most complete list of AR calibers I have seen;

Pistol cal using standard size lowers:
.32 ACP
.357 Sig
9mm
.45 ACP
10mm
50 A&E

Rifle cal using standard lower:
.17 Remington
.20 Tactical
.22lr
.221 Fireball
.223/5.56
.223 WSSM
.243 WSSM
.25 WSSM
.30 carbine
.300 Whisper
.338 Whisper
.450 Bushmaster
.458 Socom
.499 LWR
5.45x39
5.7x28
6 MM PPC (JDJ)
6 MM Whisper
6mm x 45
6.5 MPC
6.5 MM PPC (JDJ)
6.5 MM Whisper
6.5 Grendal
6.8 SPC
7 MM TCU
7 MM Whisper
7.62x39
.50 Beowulf
.50 BMG (single shot upper)

Rifle cal using .308 lower
.22-250
.257 Roberts
.284 Win
.300 Savage
.300 Remington SAUM
.325 WSM
.338 Federal
.35 Rem
358 Win
6.5 Creedmoor
7mm-08
8mm
.338 Federal

So then probably not a good idea, unless I want to run 10-20 round mags in your opinion? I could always just get an AK. Just figuring on trying to gain some interchangeability out of the AR platform.

I have a 7.62x39 AR that now runs flawless using CMags, 10,20 or 30 round. The barrel had a rough chamber when I got it, and it took some polishing to get it to run 100% Ammo is relatively cheap, plentiful and available.

The .300 BLK is more promising if you want to run suppressed and subsonic.

I know nothing of the 6.8

I'd toss up between the 7.62 and 6.8 on penetration at closer distances...say under 75 yards. Anything beyond that is where the 6.8 really starts to shine. The round carry's a lot of energy out to 600-ish yards. I was thinking about a 7.62 upper for my AR since ammo is cheap, but I reload already so the cost savings would be almost nill over my 5.56. Going with a 6.8 to get some more punch at distance now.

The 300 blackout is worth it if running suppressed,otherwise the 7.62 performs or out performs the 300BL . Economy wise,no comparison.

I have the 7.62 AR upper and made it into a pistol.Ran fine with the mag I had. THEE mag being the key words here. I kept putting it off and now they are even harder to find.
"I" believe the AR barrels will out perform the AK/SKS barrels for accuracy,given the same ammo. YMMV

I just received my 6.8 upper today. All I can tell you is the 5.56 mag look like they will work perfectly. Just have to load them light as in 25 to a 30 round mag.
I will be taking my 5.56 AR apart to put this upper on it.Then when parts come available,I'll get the lower stamped with 6.8.
Can't wait to wring it out.

Now you get into the 45 cal uppers and you have a blaster for sure. Perfect for close in but expensive to feed. Check out some of the balistic gel vids for it

This will give you a comparison to the 454 casull. I believe the 50beowolf in this vid is about the same as the 454

I wonder how the .50 would have done with a TSX instead of the SGD. That 6.5 was a penetrating little sucker, though it seems the bullet liked to start tumbling midway though after hitting an object first. Thanks for that video.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 300 blackout is worth it if running suppressed,otherwise the 7.62 performs or out performs the 300BL . Economy wise,no comparison.

I have the 7.62 AR upper and made it into a pistol.Ran fine with the mag I had. THEE mag being the key words here. I kept putting it off and now they are even harder to find.
"I" believe the AR barrels will out perform the AK/SKS barrels for accuracy,given the same ammo. YMMV

I just received my 6.8 upper today. All I can tell you is the 5.56 mag look like they will work perfectly. Just have to load them light as in 25 to a 30 round mag.
I will be taking my 5.56 AR apart to put this upper on it.Then when parts come available,I'll get the lower stamped with 6.8.

Can't wait to wring it out.

Now you get into the 45 cal uppers and you have a blaster for sure. Perfect for close in but expensive to feed. Check out some of the balistic gel vids for it

You will need to buy 6.8 mags. The 5.56 will bow and jam.

But the lower works on many calibers, 6.8 and 5.56 require different uppers/barrels, of course and different magazines. Others have claimed that the 6.8 might require a different buffer to tame the recoil increase.

Just because Stag makes a lower stamped 6.8 and it keeps it safer.Nobody loads the gun with the wrong mag.
It will take both mags ya know

Oh,no I won't stamp it

I'm going to do something similar, just with colors. 556 is FDE and whatever else I get will be ODG or black

You will need to buy 6.8 mags. The 5.56 will bow and jam.

But the lower works on many calibers, 6.8 and 5.56 require different uppers/barrels, of course and different magazines. Others have claimed that the 6.8 might require a different buffer to tame the recoil increase.

Can you just gut USGI mags and replace followers and springs?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads