JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What to Look for When You Purchase an AR-15

What to Look for When You Purchase an AR-15 - The Truth About Guns

Not exhaustive, but some good points to be aware of when buying an AR15.

Some interesting information in the comments as well.

DISCLAIMER: As with all things on the Internet, don't let one article be your sole source of information before making a serious investment.

Edited to correct link. Thanks Medic!

Last Edited:
I know what to look for!!
Daniel Defense
Noveske
LMT

BCM
Colt
SIONICS
SOLGW

Are my go to guys.

That article is actually pretty decent. There are plenty "good enough" or "same as the other guys" manufacturers that do not adhere these very basic specs. One thing left out was correct gas port size. A lot of lower end manufacturers use way too large of a gas port size and 'H' buffer so it more likely to run with cheap underpowered ammo. As far as I am concern it all start with the correct port size, compensating for it with LW BCGs, LW buffers, etc, ect, is just putting a band-aid on the real problem.

Last Edited:
Thanks for the article. I just switched out completely from AK's to the AR platform and there's a lot to learn. I'm an old M1, M1 Carbine, M1A and Mini 14 guy. Love the operating system and they have a tendency to work. So after many years this move is practically spiritual. (If you're a gun guy you get it.)

Installed many AR barrels. Haven't had a barrel or bolt carrier group yet that did not headspace correctly.;) Amazing how even a cheap $300. upper can shoot so well.
AR is a great platform. So many variations. Prices are great time to buy.
If you go 16" carbine length barrel go with the mid length gas system.IMHO:D:D

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads