Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

AR15 buttstock/buffer/buffer spring question.

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by FullCaliberII, May 25, 2012.

1. FullCaliberII

FullCaliberII Pierce County, WA Active Member

I decided to replace my adjustable buttstock on my AR15 with the ACE Skeleton stock. I had to buy a new buffer tube for the kit but I didn't even think about a new buffer spring. I assumed the one from my adjustable stock would be just fine in my fixed stock.
    I just assembled the rifle, and although the new skeleton stock looks and feels great, the spring must be wrong. The bolt barely returns now, so I am assuming the spring is the wrong length.
    My questions: what size buffer spring do I need to order AND do I need a new buffer?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

You need a rifle length spring and buffer. The rifle buffer is long then the carbine since it will have more spring to compress.

3. djgaloot

djgaloot Oregon City Member

I bought a complete assembly. You need a Rifle length spring from a fixed length stock. My ACE also came with a heavier (longer) buffer. I have not put it on my rifle yet.

4. FullCaliberII

FullCaliberII Pierce County, WA Active Member

Thank you both. I will be ordering a new spring and buffer.