JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is a mute subject you could buy the most expensive lower there is and put the most expensive trigger system in it with a cheap or expensive BCG and a cheap barrel or a high dollar one and it makes no difference you could have a $40 red dot on it or a $400 red dot YOU SEE THE ONLY DIFFERENCE IS THE WAY YOU WORD IT THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS IS DOES IT WORK AND ARE YOU HAPPY WITH WHAT YOU BUILT

I know. I have a bushmaster lower with a Colt 14.5" SOCOM upper. Its a registered SBR. I can't call it a Colt because its a Bushmaster. I dont want to call it a Bushmaster but it is.
thats pretty much what Im talking about. In your case it has to be registered as a Bushmaster but only cause thats where the serial number is. But its really a Colt cause thats the part that makes it perform the best. Non registered is a toss up what to call it... its an opinion but I think some cases the upper should get credit.

What kind? Name?

Just call it Black. Made in Freedom.

I try to match my uppers and lowers if possible, but usually have a different barrel.
The barrel, BCG, and trigger really make the rifle what it should be.

The uppers and lowers are basically the same to me whether it's a $40 piece or a $400 piece.
I would take the cheapest upper and lower with the best barrel, BCG, and trigger or the opposite.

But I do have one that doesn't match, just call it the mutt.

Any forged lower will do, really. I believe Northwest Firearms is still selling special edition lowers. Then buy a couple of lower parts kits from Brownells or Rock River (install one, keep one off to the side). Buy a stock assembly of some sort, a grip of your choosing, and maybe even an upgraded trigger. Then go find yourself an upper that has the doo-dads you want. I've gone with BravoCompany for my uppers because I like the 1:7 barrels and you get a free hat.

Build it yourself for the first one. You just need a few basic tools that you should have around as a firearms owner anyway. And if you don't have those tools, then now is the time, along with your first build.

I have a friend who does not own an AR-15, has probably fired one, but doesn't really know anything. He is of the opinion that people can buy an AR and have it shipped to your door, no paperwork. I've tried to explain to him the whole concept of build kits with everything but a lower, and he just doesn't get it. On this one point he is very dense. I bet many normal Americans believe this very thing, which is why so many people believe there are background check "loopholes."

I am straying from the point. Even though the lower does almost nothing and the brand of the lower will make almost zippo zilcho nada difference in the functionality of your finished rifle, the lower is the linchpin of the works, as it is the serialized part.

All of the parts around it are the parts that actually make a difference in the fit, finish, and function of your rifle. And all of those parts are able to be ordered to your doorstep.

The lower defines the rifle's manufacture. A budget price lower may work
just as well as any lower?:oops::oops: But when it comes to value, the rifle with the
"name brand" lower be worth more money. :p IMHO. I own lowers from several
different manufacturers. I own Colt, Bushmaster, Smith & Wesson, Rock River
and Yankee Hill Machine lowers. Some of my uppers are a little loose on certain lowers.
Which can be tightened up with an accu wedge. My Rock River lowers are tight
and work well with any upper. And parts fit is good. Several prominent High
Power rifle builders use Rock River lowers and parts. Second would be the S&W.
The Colt is the most valuable but it has the stupid large trigger pins.o_O I have
been looking at the cheap price of the Anderson lowers. A fellow competition
shooter purchased an Anderson lower and he reports it works great.:D I have heard
of one guy had a problem of magazines not dropping free from an Anderson lower.:eek:
I say pay a few bucks more and get a name brand lower. :cool::rolleyes: ;)

If it's not factory built, it's Heinz 57, seasoned to my liking.
Aside from noticeable laser etching, no one would know any difference. Billet aside.

For weapon ID I think in terms of what they are...

16" middy .223 Wylde
20" rifle 6.8SPC
16" carbine .458 SOCOM

You could mention the receiver brand on a Franken gun but that is minor compared to
the build basics as outlined above.

Black Rifle World.....you're not in Kansas anymore.

:)

Yes for legal the lower has the serial number.
Really it doesn't matter what YOU call your frankengun if you go to sell it cause the prospective buyer will decide what he feels it is. He will decide if that high dollar lower means anything with the milspec trigger and the OK upper.
These are kinda like Harley's. Doesn't matter what you put on it,a month from the sale it will be a different unit;)

Yes for legal the lower has the serial number.
Really it doesn't matter what YOU call your frankengun if you go to sell it cause the prospective buyer will decide what he feels it is. He will decide if that high dollar lower means anything with the milspec trigger and the OK upper.
These are kinda like Harley's. Doesn't matter what you put on it,a month from the sale it will be a different unit;)

This is a bit off topic. But something to be aware of.

It get's a little muddy with other guns that look AR'ish.
Like with the Sig 556 pictured below.
Even though the upper and lower separate like an AR. The upper is the registered part. o_O

I can replace it with another 550 type lower receiver.
And I can legally ship my Sig 556 lower in the mail.
It's just a gun part.

Might raise a few eye brow's though. :D

black guns 007.jpg

This is a bit off topic. But something to be aware of.

It get's a little muddy with other guns that look AR'ish.
Like with the Sig 556 pictured below.
Even though the upper and lower separate like an AR. The upper is the registered part. o_O

I can replace it with another 550 type lower receiver.
And I can legally ship my Sig 556 lower in the mail.
It's just a gun part.

Might raise a few eye brow's though. :D

View attachment 335229
They got some funky thing like that with one line of pistols too
Hey what's a NWFA thread if it doesn't go off topic?:confused:

That's a really good idea. I'll inventory mine the same way. Much easier than trying to explain to insurance workers what piecing together black rifles is all about.
My inventory list includes make, model, serial number, desription with listed accessories and retail value. That way if anything were to happen I can justify value and also give a thorough description to police if necessary. Oh and plenty of pictures.

As long as it remains YOUR gun I care not what you call it. But the second you go to try and sell it, then I care. And you had better be honest that it's a franken gun. Even if every single part on it is from a single mfg. You still better be honest about it being an "assembled by you" gun.

I just call it by what it is. An AR. :D Mine is a frankengun though; SARCO build kit on Anderson lower with .223 Wylde carbine barrel. But for the intents and purposes of this thread, it's a SARCO AR Frankengun, or to the ATF, an Anderson lower build >.>

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top