JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
so you built your own AR15, what brand do you refer to it as when asked what kind of AR do you own? Is it the lower receiver, or the upper? What if you built everything else but bought a complete upper receiver?

Which part of the rifle defines the build, not from the legal standpoint?

Legally its the brand of the lower. Means nothing function wise to an extent. The days of cast aluminum lowers ( 90's Olympic arms etc ) are long gone and all modern manufacturers are made by 2-3 actual makers who brand them as they are paid to.

I'm kinda thinking the part that does the real work is the upper assembly... opinions?

but then its not like the lower doesn't do anything either. I just know if your upper is junk then the rifle is junk but not necessarily that way with the lower

Nope . Legally its the lower and really the only parts thats branded 9 times out of 10. The lower does essentially nothing but it defines the rifle. Put a Anderson lower under a Noveske upper and youve got a parts gun. Might be worth a lot to you but the value is whatever the upper cost minus depreciation.

Its kind of like on antiques roadshow where someone drags out great great grandpa's family heirloom manet' that they would never ever part with but they wan tto know what its worth.

I did mention not from a legal point of view... I know the lower typically defines the gun legally, technically its the part with the serial number... Doesnt have to be the lower.

Anyways, this isnt about the legal point of view. This is about the rifle and its function

I did mention not from a legal point of view... I know the lower typically defines the gun legally, technically its the part with the serial number... Doesnt have to be the lower.

Anyways, this isnt about the legal point of view. This is about the rifle and its function
Understood. Being the ATF views my PSA frankengun as a Anderson, I too consider it an Anderson. That is how it is listed for my personal inventory and for insurance purposes

The upper...but that doesnt matter from a marketing point of view. A cheap lower on a good upper is a parts gun worth the sum of its components minus depreciation and market whims.

The upper...but that doesnt matter from a marketing point of view. A cheap lower on a good upper is a parts gun worth the sum of its components minus depreciation and market whims.
now were talking. I can agree with that too.

Im thinking there is a good argument for giving a high quality upper more credit for the build than a low quality lower.

You saw some guys calling there ar a noveski cause it had that lower. But the rest wasn't made buy noveski.
Soooo it's not a $2k noveski.
Legal shmegal,doesn't matter it's a frankengunn if you sell it.
I built about 10 and sold them all. Not one did I put a brand for the entire gun. I always told what parts I used but never branded it the upper or lower's manufacturer.
A crap upper on a Colt lower is a Colt. A Colt upper on a Anderson lower is an Anderson.
I have no idea where you got this. I can only hope you aren't serious.o_O
If you buy a 'Whoever' complete lower cause that's what you have money for right now. Then in a month you buy a 'Whoever' upper and mount it on the previous lower, then you have 'Whoever' rifle.
You mount a Colt upper on a Anderson lower and you have a Colt upper on a Anderson lower not just a Colt or just a Anderson.
A frankengun should never be given a brand name on the whole rifle. It just a frankengun

Its worth whatever a colt upper minus depreciation is worth. The 80% lower is essentially value -less.
then you agree with me, the upper would define the rifle. In this case...

yeah, just having fun with this thread. :D

I know. I have a bushmaster lower with a Colt 14.5" SOCOM upper. Its a registered SBR. I can't call it a Colt because its a Bushmaster. I dont want to call it a Bushmaster but it is. Whats it worth? The upper cost me $600 if I remember right and the lower was $100 plus whatever the furniture and firing stuff cost. The tax stamp was a waste of money. So $700 ish total and I still have to call it a Bushmaster even though its really a Colt.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top