JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No joke, I built a lower while on the toilet using a little WD40, a plastic mallet an adjustable wrench and a pair of players.. Its my Apoo rifle.. I mean A2 rifle.

Surprisingly it doesn't run like $hit :D
Best lower I put together.

When buying GI spec LPKs, unless they have an adjustable trigger nearly all GI type basic FCGs are going to fit and function the same
(In my experience). Adjustable triggers and those single piece drop in FCGs are a different story.

Other than the trigger and the buffer there really isnt a lot going on in the lower to hyper focus on. Most bottom barrel parts are quality enough seeings how everything is near standardized.
So the cheapest brand name GI LPKs are just fine. I wouldnt spend too much.

Take your time, watch a few build videos on youtube then pull the trigger and build it. You'll have a blast.

Seems like it would be pretty rough installing the pivot pin not to mention torqueing and staking the receiver extension under such conditions with just those tools. Granted, it ain't rocket surgery but still.
I forgot my castle nut tool
(the large flat head screw driver end needed for the A2 buffer tube screw).
Aside from that, its all I needed. Give me all the parts and Ill do it again!

Last Edited:
I suggest start ordering ASAP. You never know when the next crazy event will happen.
As they, buy'em cheap and stack'em deep.
Brutus Out
yup, this is why I'm building this one. This is a presidential election year... I'm pretty much convinced of two things 1) you cannot have too much ammo and 2) if you want an defensive rifle you better get one now.

to he honest, I'm way behind on the AR... I should not have waited so long to own one.

yup, this is why I'm building this one. This is a presidential election year... I'm pretty much convinced of two things 1) you cannot have too much ammo and 2) if you want an defensive rifle you better get one now.

to he honest, I'm way behind on the AR... I should not have waited so long to own one.
Come on in, NOW, the water's fine. I never figured I would need anything beyond my 30.06, 12 gauge, .22 rifle and pistol and forty5. I changed my mind after the 2012 election.

Brutus Out

No joke, I built a lower while on the toilet using a little WD40, a plastic mallet an adjustable wrench and a pair of players.. Its my Apoo rifle.. I mean A2 rifle.

Surprisingly it doesn't run like $hit :D
Best lower I put together.

When buying GI spec LPKs, unless they have an adjustable trigger nearly all GI type basic FCGs are going to fit and function the same
(In my experience). Adjustable triggers and those single piece drop in FCGs are a different story.

Other than the trigger and the buffer there really isnt a lot going on in the lower to hyper focus on. Most bottom barrel parts are quality enough seeings how everything is near standardized.
So the cheapest brand name GI LPKs are just fine. I wouldnt spend too much.

Take your time, watch a few build videos on youtube then pull the trigger and build it. You'll have a blast.

So you are saying your toilet build A2 is Tactistool?????

Brutus Out

well, a lull in the conversation... but I couldn't wait.

I ordered an ALG ACT trigger, Stoner 'customizable' LPK and a Magpul trigger guard.

next paycheck I'll look into the tools I need...

:s0092:

When you get the kit confirm you got everything, nothing is tweaked and the major components fit correctly on your lower before hammering on anything. Don't wait for until you are ready to do the assembly to find out.
+1 to this. Ive purchased a LPK and it was missing a detent and spring.
Its uncommon but it does happen.

I'd start with a better quality lower too. In the end you'll have a more desirable and valuable rifle for a difference of 10-30 bucks. Small potatoes in the grand scheme of things. I built a bunch as "cost effective" as possible and now thinking about replacing all the lowers with Aero or spikes or Seeking or.....
All the ones I built or had a hand in all work great with the lowers I used but just want to upgrade them a bit. YMMV.

Midway had a bad run of AR Stoner crap, hope they got it figured out.
I got burned by an AR Stoner BCG, 200 rounds and it bought the farm. Midway wouldn't take it back or help at all because time had past.
Toss up what I hate worse Ptac or AR Stoner

This is the video I watched when I built my first AR. I followed the steps to the letter and had great success. The one thing I will say is, make SURE you are using the correct detent for the correct part!

Secondly, I don't know why there's no love for the Palmetto State Armory lower kits. I have built two complete lowers using PSA stuff and they both work perfectly. Mind you, they sell lower PARTS kits and lower BUILD kits- the lower build kits include everything to complete the lower including buffer tube, grip, and stock.

Thirdly, tools I'd get if you haven't already are a roll pin punch set, a pivot pin install tool, a lower vise block, an upper vise block (if you're going to build your upper from scratch vs. buying a complete upper), and an AR armorers wrench.

Just about anyone here including myself would be willing to donate an afternoon to assist you so don't be afraid to ask.

Last Edited:
PSA is good, Ptac sucks.....they aren't one in the same contrary to popular belief .
The parts that are good are fine. In my experience they have a higher rate of crap parts
Even the finest companies have a percentage of crap parts
So run your whatever hard, fix what breaks....shooting is what matters
Hope it don't break when you really need it

wow, lots of great advice and I'm not even ready to work on it yet, I went to order the ALG ACT trigger + lower parts kit but they were out of the LPK package (thanks a lot jbett98.... kidding). I can still buy the trigger but will then need to look around for a triggerless LPK.... haven't purchased anything yet. Based on the current demand I might just buy that trigger now and look for the rest of the LPK next... ?

In the mean time, I have lots of good info and advice to read here... that's what I started the thread for, thanks everyone for chiming in. Plus its just plain fun to talk shop :)

titsonritz: I could see myself build another AR later on but that's at most...I will decide on building the upper when I get there but would like to... so I'm uncertain how much investment I want to put into tools although I prefer investing in anything I need to repair and maintain anything I own. I'll send a PM for the manual thanks for that offer....

thank you much for the offer, if I find the tooling cost too much I wouldn't mind taking you up on the offer.

gotta love this forum and community :D
I would stay away from the dpms lpk. Had three friends that issue with theirs. Once they replaced them with a spike, DD l, and rock river lpk their rifles then worked fine.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top