JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I really like my midwest industries flip ups. Hk style front sight. Got them for a pretty good deal. Lockup us really solid. So is the button for folding them back down.

I use Magpul Pro offset sights on my AR-10 and they work well. I'm also a fan of the Troy sights.

in2Q5Du.jpg

So after switching back to a red dot for my "life and liberty" Ar, I find myself in the market for some kind of back up sight again. In the past I've used the magpul polymer ones and they worked alright for the price, but I think I want to graduate to something a little nicer.

So far I've been looking at Midwest Industries, Troy, Aero Precision, and the Magpul mbuis Pro's.
Whats everyones favorite?

Go magpul Pro offset, that way when you realize the errors of your ways and depart the red dot scene and get a 1x8 illuminated 30mm magnified optic from Primary arms with the ACSS reticle (if you buy from opticsplanet it is cheaper) you can still use your back up ironsights even if your scope goes down from severe damage. It operates like a red dot, but with the benefit of going out to 8x. I did some testing with it and found that I was less than 1/10 of a second slower comparing the Aimpoint pro and the Primary arms 1-8 on the Tavor and on the AR it was even smaller of a difference. Testing was: At the sound of the buzzer taking one shot on a 3 inch target from 10 feet away. I did several runs of this and switched the scopes back and forth many times and the time delay I considered insignificant, especially considering I have had about 3 years behind the Aimpoint and less than a few range trips behind the 1x8 scope at the time of testing. With more practice I am sure I could shrink the difference to nothing. That being said, I was ok being 1/10 of a second slower considering the capability 8 power gives me over a unmagnified red dot.

The other reason to go offset is because if you are considering your sight failing you cant gurantee that you will be able to see through it. It might get damaged to the point you cant see through it effectively, meaning that then you have to remove the sight before your ironsights can be used. Compare to the offset where you just need to rotate the gun 45 degrees and keep shooting.

Go magpul Pro offset, that way when you realize the errors of your ways and depart the red dot scene and get a 1x8 illuminated 30mm magnified optic from Primary arms with the ACSS reticle (if you buy from opticsplanet it is cheaper) you can still use your back up ironsights even if your scope goes down from severe damage. It operates like a red dot, but with the benefit of going out to 8x. I did some testing with it and found that I was less than 1/10 of a second slower comparing the Aimpoint pro and the Primary arms 1-8 on the Tavor and on the AR it was even smaller of a difference. Testing was: At the sound of the buzzer taking one shot on a 3 inch target from 10 feet away. I did several runs of this and switched the scopes back and forth many times and the time delay I considered insignificant, especially considering I have had about 3 years behind the Aimpoint and less than a few range trips behind the 1x8 scope at the time of testing. With more practice I am sure I could shrink the difference to nothing. That being said, I was ok being 1/10 of a second slower considering the capability 8 power gives me over a unmagnified red dot.

The other reason to go offset is because if you are considering your sight failing you cant gurantee that you will be able to see through it. It might get damaged to the point you cant see through it effectively, meaning that then you have to remove the sight before your ironsights can be used. Compare to the offset where you just need to rotate the gun 45 degrees and keep shooting.
I have a primary arms 1-6 acss on another ar. I like it, but i like my trijicon mro more. Which is on an adm quick detatch mount so even if i can't see through it, all i have to do is flip the lever and its off.

@djharteloo I'm actually considering something similar for a switch-hitter AR I'm penciling out... Build would be a pistol back-half, using the Pantheon Arms Dolos takedown system to interchange 16" Mod Holland SPR and 12.5" GL/SSC barrel assemblies. ACSS mounted on the Holland rail, 45-deg sights on upper and both rails (if I can get Diamondhead to make me a left-side BUIS), red-dot on 45-degree adapter on upper. Three roles, two optics, one gun.

So after switching back to a red dot for my "life and liberty" Ar, I find myself in the market for some kind of back up sight again. In the past I've used the magpul polymer ones and they worked alright for the price, but I think I want to graduate to something a little nicer.

So far I've been looking at Midwest Industries, Troy, Aero Precision, and the Magpul mbuis Pro's.
Whats everyones favorite?
I like Troy.
Clean design and well made. I would recommend the round peep over the diamond.

I use a lower third co-witness w/ a surplus MaTech BUIS, set to 200m and zeroed at 50 yards (approx 50/200 yard zero). Works perfectly fine.

I wanted an LMT BUIS because the adjustments are identical to the carry handle, (which is how I first learned to shoot an AR, on the A2 type of carry handle). Anyway the LMT are always out of stock and overpriced, so I gave up on that idea. But they do look cool..

I use a lower third co-witness w/ a surplus MaTech BUIS, set to 200m and zeroed at 50 yards (approx 50/200 yard zero). Works perfectly fine.

I wanted an LMT BUIS because the adjustments are identical to the carry handle, (which is how I first learned to shoot an AR, on the A2 type of carry handle). Anyway the LMT are always out of stock and overpriced, so I gave up on that idea. But they do look cool..

Leapers/UTG makes a sight like that. One came on a AR-556 I traded for. I only sold it because I standardize my parts. It looked well made - you can get them on Amazon for about 25 bux.

41izZ9NwTHL._SX425_.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads