JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm looking into this myself.
There are a few videos on youtube. Seems easy if you have the right tools.

For the most part, I think all you need is a drill press and a jig.

I would also love to hear anyones feedback on this!

where to bring a 80% lower to have machined?
If I remember correctly, you can't have someone else machine it for you, it has to be done by the end owner. I looked into it myself and as Nosmoking said, it supposedly can be done with a drill press and the correct jigs.

Not to scare you off, but here is some insight into finishing an 80% lower from TonyRumore (invented the Tromix S17, the original 8" barrel Saiga-12) and TapeWorm3 on the Saiga-12 forum:

TonyRumore said:
I have done a couple. Its such a huge pain in the ***, do yourself a favor and just buy a complete receiver.

Tony

TapeWorm3 said:
Built many of both AR and AK receivers. FIrst the AR, it is not for anyone with a drill press. it is a royal PITA and I do mine on a mill. If you are not confident in machining or capable of scratch building a semi auto go buy one.
The AK is even more diverse you need to be able to work sheet metal, weld and drill with accuracy they are more forgiving in tolerances and you can work on them with just a hammer but not for everyday home shop screwdriver spinner.
If you have someone near you that has built before seek them out and learn from their mistakes, I would not recommend either without supervision.

You must mill the pocket for the trigger group and locate, drill and ream a few holes. I would not recommend this unless you have a machinist to walk you though this step by step.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top