JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have been thinking the same thing, basically mags are harder to find as well as some replacement parts in the upper, also you lose some accuracy with the 7.62x39 over the 5.56/x45, but you do get more power. Really look at what you can afford in the market and go with what makes you happy.

I used to really be into 7.62x39 ars back when ammo was under $90 per 1000 rds but since its over $200 per k i don't see the point when a ak shoots it better

I owned mine during the ban , I think they have made a lot of improvements in mags since the ban as during the ban you could not buy new mags for them and what was on the market were frankin mags and some others that were hit and miss and required some tweeking to get to function reliably

I liked them cause they were cheap to shoot but since thats not the case anymore got to ask why?

its still way cheaper to shoot than 5.56 ammo, and i like the 7.62 round but am not a fan of ak's

No so

you have to compare apples to apples

you will be most likely be shooting wolf 7.62x39 , current price average is $199 per K

current wolf .223 average price $189 per k

now if you want to shoot brass case ofr both, the .223 can be cheaper and you will have more selection

if your comparing brass case .223 to 7.62 steel case thats not a fair comparison as brass cost more

not trying to talk you out of if you like the 7.62x39 round, go for it

just sharing info based on personal experience

a couple other tips make sure you have extended feed ramps both the receiver and barrel this is a must

it will be more accurate than a ak but may not be as reliable has to do with quality mags

It will not be as accurate as a .223 since you will not the selection of ammo

another thing to keep in mind if you shoot surplus is some is corrosive I made this mistake my first 7.62 ar15 was a second hand colt sporter in 7.62 the previous owner had shot corrosive ammo through and one day i was looking down the barrel and noticed frost (corrosive ammo damage) since the colt 7.62x39 barrels were not chrome lined it did not take much for the rust to dig in.

The guy to talk with is bnr32gtr:s0155: He has a real nice set up and can probably send you in the right direction. I was really thinking about building one and still might but other things are more pressing right now:D Good luck and if you end up doing something share it with us:s0155:

I have a AR in 7.62x39 and love it. Only problems I have had with it were mag related. If I load a full 30 rounds in one of my mags it will jam. My other 2 mags work just fine fully loaded.

I have never been a fan of the 223/556 and owning a AR in the 7.62 caliber reminds my of that every time I shoot it. Little bit more recoil than the 223 but it does a TON more damage!

As far as the cost of ammo, well, it depends on where you buy and what you buy. Dont rule out a 5.45x39 upper either. The 5.45x39 is a wicked little round.