JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This ar15 was built for primarily HD, it's light with a 16" barrel. Now it sits in the safe and I don't know what it's purpose is, thinking of buying a vortex strike eagle 1-6 or primary arms 1-6 or 1-8.

So far I have tried a eotech 512 went to a primary arms advanced red dot w/adm qd mount with 6x magnifier w/burris qd and roll over. Worked great but heavy total package and past 200 yards groups opened up due to dot size. This was only apparent on the bench mostly, coyotes still easy at 300-350 yards. Or was it luck?

Tried a leupold vxr patrol 1-4 power, great glass but preferred the red dot at the time. But was using it for HD at that time also.

Tried magpul pro buis but don't like the limited site picture and lack of magnification.

Tried a 4-18 scope but it's redundant with my sig hunter m400 and this build I wanted close range. I only seem to shoot cans and gongs as fast as I can or varmints. 1-6 or 1-8 seem my only options left. Jack of all trades, master of none? Opinions? Similar journeys? :rolleyes:

Well, I haven't fired it yet but I've got a Bushnell TRS25 mounted on mine as a starter, in between Diamondheads. It's only about $60 or less if you shop around on sale, so it's probably not gonna go toe-to-toe with a Trijicon, EOTech, Aimpoint or Vortex, but sometimes it's better to "start small and trade up as you outgrow things."

You might also consider optic and magnifier as independent devices with the latter on a flip-to-side mount so it's there when you need it and out o the way when you don't.

Not an expert, even less distance down this road than you are, but just thought and hoped maybe a different perspective might be useful. :)

Another thing is, maybe mount the magnifier on the incoming (muzzle) side of your RDS rather than the eye side?

No matter what, adding a magnifier and flip-mount is gonna get heavy--a 6.6lb. M4 isn't so light once all the whizbang electro-opti-tacticrap is racked onto it. (Don't get me wrong, I love hi-tech as much as anybody, but equipment can only do so much if the basic skills aren't there--which is why as soon as mine's sighted in, the optic comes off and I start shooting on BUIS only to focus on basics and "foundation" skills.)

Another thing is, maybe mount the magnifier on the incoming (muzzle) side of your RDS rather than the eye side?

No matter what, adding a magnifier and flip-mount is gonna get heavy--a 6.6lb. M4 isn't so light once all the whizbang electro-opti-tacticrap is racked onto it. (Don't get me wrong, I love hi-tech as much as anybody, but equipment can only do so much if the basic skills aren't there--which is why as soon as mine's sighted in, the optic comes off and I start shooting on BUIS only to focus on basics and "foundation" skills.)
We used to setup orange sporting clays on a hillside and shoot them offhand at ~100 yards with open sights. It's surprising how well an AR or AK shoot with open sights once you get the rhythm down.

@kiester
You might consider building (or buying) another AR for a different purpose. Or, have two or three different QD optic configurations. Maybe a couple complete uppers so you can quickly change for the need.

IMHO, a good red dot (or prism scope for those with astigmatism) would be better than a scope for home defense.

A 1-4/6/x scope is definitely usable for home defense, but I'd say that's for a more versatile use. A red dot is also lighter.

For 3 gun, I started with a vortex strikefire and burris 3x flip in magnifier. I still have both and will put them on another rifle in the future. Next I tried the Bushnell 1-4. It was OK but I was hoping for better optic quality and ended up wanting more magnification. I did like the Flip out cat tail lever. Then I upgraded to the strikeeagle. I have several other vortex optics and have found them to be a good value. Even the crossfire has pretty nice optic clarity for a $200-$300 scope. I'm not impressed with the strikeeagle optics for a $300 scope. It isn't terrible and it's better than the Bushnell but it has a bit of the fish eye effect. It seems that quality 1-6 or 1-8 power tactical scopes jump up to $800 - $2,000 and I wasn't paying that much for this build. I have been thinking of the PA scopes that you mentioned. They get excellent reviews and aren't much more than the strikeeagle. However I decided to try the vortex viper 2.5-10 SFP w/ mil reticle and back up with 45° irons for close work. I would use a small red dot but that would put me into the next class in 3 gun. It is true that you get what you pay for in Optics. I have tried many brands and models. There are some good values out there but no Magic Bullet cheapie with the best quality. I read all of the reviews from different sources and go with what most people say. You can tell the intelligent reviewers from the dummies . Don't just look at the stars. Sometimes people rate low because of service or shipping etc.

Multiple options for me.

1) Trijicon ACOG 4x with Docter red-dot sight on top. Solves both issues of near and far. (see below picture)
2) 1.5-5x leupold scope
3) Eotech 512/552 (on the AR pistol for the house)
4) Eotech 512/552 with 3x magnifier & flip to the side (in the process of building).

I've been contemplating going to a 1-8x scope and swapping out the leupold but that's when i get some money. What I have works for now.

Docter w/ ACOG
TA31DOC.jpg

If you are looking for a scope, with a red dot or illuminated reticle (handy to have out to 100 yds) I would recommend the Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24. Excellent glass and clarity, 1x power down low, 4x when you want to reach out, illuminated - mine has the TMCQ (MRAD) - reticle.

If a scope is what you really do want, I can testify to the quality of a Vortex Viper PST scope. The glass for the money is pretty good, and the turrets are good as well (not loud but still noticeable, and not mushy).

For the two AR platforms I have, I am utilizing a red dot on each. As these are normally around for HD and indoor range use to 25 yards.

For the third AR that I am building, I will not be utilizing a red dot. As I want this to be utilized for some distance.

.300 blackout pistol has an Eotech 552
5.56 has an Aimpoint pro comp m4

As for this third AR, I am considering the vortex strike eagle 1-6x24 AR BDC.

If it is a serious home defense gun, I would get some tritium inserts on some iron sights that you like. The last thing you want to do in a self defense scenario is diddle with your fancy electric sight. Magnification in the house is less than helpful as well.

If it is a serious home defense gun, I would get some tritium inserts on some iron sights that you like. The last thing you want to do in a self defense scenario is diddle with your fancy electric sight. Magnification in the house is less than helpful as well.

The other option is Aimpoint. I run an aimpoint on my tavor and its been turned on for probably 3-4 years now I just swap the battery out every year or so even though the battery life is in excess of 7 years at the lowest settings I just swap each year as the batteries are cheap.

Multiple options for me.

1) Trijicon ACOG 4x with Docter red-dot sight on top. Solves both issues of near and far. (see below picture)
2) 1.5-5x leupold scope
3) Eotech 512/552 (on the AR pistol for the house)
4) Eotech 512/552 with 3x magnifier & flip to the side (in the process of building).

I've been contemplating going to a 1-8x scope and swapping out the leupold but that's when i get some money. What I have works for now.

Docter w/ ACOG
View attachment 331812

Whats your take on the eotech 512?

Ive heard reports of fuzziness

I would go with the Aimpoints over the EoTechs if you're buying new. The issues the army had with the EoTechs will likely never effect you as most people will never use their EoTech in extreme temperatures but if that concerns you keep that in mind. The EoTech also has significantly less battery life than the Aimpoints. Lastly specifically the 512 series has issues because the batteries are in line with the recoil which can cause issues in the long term.

I have EoTechs on my AR Pistol, and my 300Blk SBR. My experience with the EoTech has been nothing by positive. Even with glasses a red-dot/micro-dot in the vein of Aimpoints don't do well for me.

The Dot and the MOA circle do get a bit pixelated at the highest levels of brightness, but I don't see that as a problem and just tone it down. My most common distances I'm shooting are from 50-200yds.

I ended up buying a vortex strike eagle like everyone else is doing these days. It arrives next Thursday, picked it up for new on sale for 250 including shipping, I figured if I don't like it I can always sell it for close to what I paid.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top