JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Will someone please explain why an AR10 costs so much more than an AR15? It's essentially the same design right? Maybe more robust construction? You can find all kinds of ar15's for 400-600 bucks. Want an AR10? 1000 bucks. I don't get it.

More than likely volume. When a manufacturer makes 1000x more AR-15 than AR-10, the production costs can be spread out across more units.

Exactly, it's the economy of scale,and it's not just sales numbers. The AR-15 platform is very standardized, where there are several different AR-10 patterns. Even DPMS has three different frame patterns - high, low, and short frame.

AR10's are catching up. PSA has ran sales on entry level .308 ARs. Some in the $600.

Not too long ago ARs were exclusively around the $699 price, at their lowest. Then the market became utterly saturated and stale.. so the prices dropped.

AR10's are still fairly new to some manf. , so there isnt a surplus within the market yet.

But the fact that PSA is running sales on them is a good sign. Another factor is gun sale pimps on social media.. if a few channels start spreading the AR10 love it'll drive the market like they have with AR15's and various pistols over the last 10 years.. Im thinking that is bound to happen here soon with the AR10's. The market is there, the surplus is not. Once the two factors intersect at a $600-$800 price range you'll see a huge shift within the gun buyers market.

After market parts suppliers are also a huge contributing factor. They come out with affordable new wizbang gear and suddenly everyone wants gun-X.. it happened with AKs two years ago.

Lastly, many folks are still shy because the AR10 market is still mostly proprietary parts wise, whereas AR15s are not.

I'd like to see the AR-10 market go hog-wild and drop prices. The AR-10 is a better long-range antipersonnel proposition. (an 800+ yard 60-gain .223" caliber just doesn't have the kinetic energy to penetrate and incapacitate that a 150-grain .308" slug does).

There is one major reason why prices on large pattern AR parts is higher..... Because people will pay it. Demand and perceived value.

And yeah, that other stuff about economics.

PSA +1

Also AR-10's as mentioned above are new to some MFG but also are not as standardized as the AR-15. Also ammo and most parts cost more, higher price in accessories and shooting limits some shooters.

The AR10 market does seem to be expanding the product line. Now Stag Arms has a Left Hand AR10. Proprietary upper and lower but it might be possible to build up a retro AR15A2 in the 7.62x51 LEFT HAND AR10 platform. I am left handed. Humm!

Why shoot just Zombies when you can instead shoot Polseen God Kings? :)

With the standardization, AR15s are a commodity.
AR10s are not standardized, and with that, you can not mix and match among vendors.
Lastly, perception. AR10's are a testosterone augmentation device.

That's a good point. With AR-10's not being standardized, and being so manufacturer specific, the open market is bound to charge more than the mix-and-match AR-15. I'd bet because of that fact, the price to manufacturer one is higher as well. When a bunch of manufacturers are mass producing parts that have had a standard spec sheet for 60+ years, the process is surely streamlined and makes it cheaper.

That's a good point. With AR-10's not being standardized, and being so manufacturer specific, the open market is bound to charge more than the mix-and-match AR-15. I'd bet because of that fact, the price to manufacturer one is higher as well. When a bunch of manufacturers are mass producing parts that have had a standard spec sheet for 60+ years, the process is surely streamlined and makes it cheaper.
In terms of tooling, setup time, material and machining time, I'd bet AR10 vs AR15 is about a push. What makes a huge difference is the number of parts you produce which reduces the direct setup cost per part. I believe you and several others alluded to that fact.
Commoditization of the AR15 creates market pressure to lower prices. I wouldn't want to be solely manufacturing AR15's right now if I didn't have a name like Spike's or Noveske. The margins would kill me.

The AR10 market does seem to be expanding the product line. Now Stag Arms has a Left Hand AR10. Proprietary upper and lower but it might be possible to build up a retro AR15A2 in the 7.62x51 LEFT HAND AR10 platform. I am left handed. Humm!

Why shoot just Zombies when you can instead shoot Polseen God Kings? :)

Still waiting on another Ringo book too?

Yes. He kinda got carried away there for awhile but some more Polseen would be fun. The second wave? Callie was cool also. :)

Back on topic here HB, Stag Arms does make a LH AR10 upper but it is proprietary, (sp?) and must go with their own special lower. They claim DSPM (?) compatibility? I wonder if an AR10 LH retro 20" rifle could be built. Lots of custom stuff.

What is the biggest wildcat that will fit an AR10? Has anybody started opening up the AR10 bolt rim faces yet? Would a wildcat based .300-458 Winchester ultra short magnum fit? My feeble mind boggles. :)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads