JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
looking for a good medium range scope for my 16" ar10 in 308. Anyone have any suggestions for around 500-600 bucks?

The Leupold vxr patrol 3-9 × 40 has my eye, anyone use it?

I have that scope on my AR308 and like it a lot. That said I suggest you take a look at the Primary Arms ACSS scopes. Quicker and easier to range and get on target faster than anything else I've used.

Take a look at this for under $300 - First focal plane and illuminated reticle
1599938365872.png
1599938412378.png

or in the same price range at the Leupold
1599938544845.png

I have that scope on my AR308 and like it a lot. That said I suggest you take a look at the Primary Arms ACSS scopes. Quicker and easier to range and get on target faster than anything else I've used.

Take a look at this for under $300 - First focal plane and illuminated reticle
View attachment 748678
View attachment 748679

or in the same price range at the Leupold
View attachment 748684
Good info! Thanks!

One point - an ACSS reticle isn't for everyone. If you like the classic cross hair style that 3x9 Patrol is really good and IMO you would have to spend a lot more to get an improvement. The turrets track real well and the fire dot is really good at helping to get you on target quickly if you are hunting or in a DMR application. The glass is also really clear and the scope is very solid. No buyers remorse whatsoever on my part. I did mount it on a 20 MOA base.

I run the PA 1x6 on my AR15.
Both exceed my capabilities.
For the price range they have worked out well for me.

The ACSS is kinda like targeting for dummies, which also works out well for me too.

looking for a good medium range scope for my 16" ar10 in 308. Anyone have any suggestions for around 500-600 bucks?

The Leupold vxr patrol 3-9 × 40 has my eye, anyone use it?
God bless everyone with good eyesight. I went with 4-12×40 for my Ruger Hunter. It's a Leopold but forget the name. I think it was the same price as some 3x9s. Just not as fancy. Pretty light as well.

I also went 4-12 on my PA10 with a Nikon Buckmaster. Not so upscale but works for me.

I have a 3-15 Vortex PST Gen II on my 16" 308 AR. One of the best scopes I own and I have a few scopes that are twice as expensive. Yes, a little over your budget but I think they are worth it.

Edit: Just to add a little more info.... I was a little skeptical that I would be really happy with this scope because I wanted to try to shoot my 308 AR at 1000 yards. Most of my guns that I shoot at that distance have 20-27 power scopes. Although my gun is not real consistent at that range, I don't feel like the scope is holding me back in any way.

Last Edited:
Check out the Leupold VX-Freedom AR. One of the options is basically a Patrol with a capped windage dial and a slightly different reticle. I picked up mine from Midway for just under 500.

Leupold VX6 1-6 Firedot

I think this is out of production, but you can find them once in awhile. I had two, and recently sold one of them . Very nice scope.

I highly recommend that you do not get anything Nikon. They are out of the US market and have no repair parts. I recently had an experience with them with a Nikon P-223. They can't replace simple turret caps and are trashing the scope and offering me a credit at their Nikon store. I told them to pound sand and after several weeks of back and forth they final have agreed to pay me what its worth.

But I don't have the check in hand yet.:cool:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads