JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all I tried to search the forums to find old info but keep coming back as search disabled. So in your guys opinions what would be some good and bad points on, DPMS,Armalite,LMT on the LMT what makes it worth that much money? Thanks for the input.

If I were to purchase a Semi-auto 308 it would be the LMT MWS. I have come to realize tho unless I need barrier penetration, or consistent accurate fire past 600yds I would probably be better served sticking with a heavier 77gr 5.56. I will most likely be selling my precision 308 bolt gun and consolidating calibers even more.

A guy up here had a DPMS 308,so middle tier Stoner platform,that was shooting sub MOA easily.
So it depends on what your use is,just like a 556 AR.
Going to compete and shoot untold numbers of rounds? Spend the money.
Have excess wealth? Buy me one too!
No,buy the best you can afford,with the trigger group and barrel being the most important. (so the model with a fancy trigger and extra cool barrel)
Otherwise they are all going to serve you pretty well.

Most of the 308 rifles are going to be pretty accurate. DPMS is often frowned upon in the AR world, but it's a great 308 gun. Moving up to the LMT, Larue, GAP, KAC is great, but you're looking at $2500-$5000 (under normal market conditions). I have a MEGA MATEN that I built and am in love with, but before that I had a DPMS, which was a great one too.

I would start with the DPMS, an if the larger platform is everything you dreamed of, save up for one of the more premium models.

Just be careful, getting into the 308 platform is addicting and much more expensive than the 5.56, you might find yourself taking out a second mortgage to buy the latest and greatest......

<broken link removed>

To point you in the right direction what are you looking to do with it? Usually they are either configured as long(er) range precision guns, battle rifles, or semi-auto paper-punchers/range toys. The price goes up exponentially as you move right to left up that list.

To point you in the right direction what are you looking to do with it? Usually they are either configured as long(er) range precision guns, battle rifles, or semi-auto paper-punchers/range toys. The price goes up exponentially as you move right to left up that list.

I prefer my .308 over my .223 with two caveats;

1. Be prepared to go broke on ammo, or learn to reload.
2. Upgrade it with a piston system. I can't tell you how much time you'll save in cleaning and the like.

I have a CMMG because I prefer them, but I've tried both AR and DMPS and both are really nice. If you have no budget limits I'd go for a Knight Arms.

(Ok, to be honest, I am a CMMG loyalist, but I'd go Armalite then customize the crap outta it if my wife would let me)

Hi all thanks for the info. I bought a mega upper and lower this last week and am going to try to put together a long range precision rifle. Now I have to come up with the rest of the parts any suggestions on barrel, optics? Thanks for any help
Sicario what did you build with your mega?

If you are going to do this piece work,study barrel making and find the best barrel you can afford.
There are AR platform barrels made by the best barrel makers,so don't get stuck looking at just the AR manufacturers' barrels.
Then try some friends' triggers. Spending a couple hun on a trigger sure makes a nice shooter.

And of course,since it's not my money,go buy a Night Force for it.
Just don't limit your performance with a cheap scope.

And hurry up with pictures

Hi all got in a hurry today picked up John Benjamin 20" barrel,Troy rail,and vltor gas block.
Looking for PRS stock in black. Would like to know what muzzle brake would work the best?
Thanks will put up photos as soon as I can. I do have 1 problem I don't have any 308 ammo or magazines. Still looking.

Hi all so I had bought the mega upper and lower it was a trade in on something else had all the lower parts installed. Well bolt would not pull back went to Curts great people they looked at it some one had installed Armalite bolt catch with a roll pin not the screw I played with and finally got the pin out a little bit of work on the threads and as good as new. Still haven't been able to shoot going to play with pictures see if I can post. Still need mags and ammo? Thanks

Just wanted to say again how great the guys at Curts are they were able to look at the rifle and in two seconds tell me what was wrong. Then he gave me the parts to fix it, and loaned me the mag block so I could put in the vise. Nice people!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top