JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I tried to do a little researching, and came up with very little luck.
Anyways,
Im looking into finishing up my ar10 build using aero precision enhanced receivers.
Ill be going with an 18 inch (probably) fluted barrel, and a 15" handguard.

I had been thinking about going with a magpul prs or ubr, but for now, to get the rifle done sooner, im debating going with somwthing less expensive that way i can decide what i want further down the road.

My options are less expensive adjustable options, which im not sure if i want/need the the adjustablility as i want some good cheek weld.

So....
Im debating going with a fixed stock and thisbriflebisnt going to be used for home defense or similar where i need to be able to navigate tight areas....its mostly going to be a 100-600 yard shooter. (I dont really have places to shoot farther whatsoever.)

It seems the only 2 fixed options would be an a2 or magpuls fixed stock.

What do y'all think? Or if there's other less expensive fixed options, id think about that.

I'm using a LuthAR MBA stock on my SR762.
yY2iH6ql.jpg

I have another for sale in the classifieds somewhere. It has a 5.56 rifle buffer and spring though.
Shoot me a PM if interested.

If you watch Palmettos ads from time to time they will list a complete upper in 308 18" w/BCG for 299.99 free shipping
now I have three of them and for target or Hunting OR ??? they run great and I have never had a problem , but this hobby
allows you to spend as much or as little as needed . JMO

I'm using an A2 on my Areo build 18" barrel, I like it but I'm tall. If you're not over 6 foot I would suggest A1 stock it's 5/8th shorter in length of pull.

I'm using an A2 on my Areo build 18" barrel, I like it but I'm tall. If you're not over 6 foot I would suggest A1 stock it's 5/8th shorter in length of pull.
Im right about 6ft with longer arms, so im not too worried about that. Ill have some kind of forward grip that i used for extra leverage to pull the rifle in, letting me comfortable reach out further on the handguard.

Im mainly trying to make this thing motbweigh a metric ton as it wont be a bench rifle.

carbine with a armaspec sbs system

and no difference after 16"
That armaspec system is similar to the jp silent spring, yes?

And what do you mean by "no difference after 16"?
This is different enough from an ar15 as far as what works, that im still learning.

Built an AR10-7mm08. Used an 18" Wilson Combat barrel, Aero M5E (low profile - gen 1).
By no difference after 16", I suspect he means accuracy. The report is definitely less with 18", even less with 20".

You'll note the rifle is heavy before you put the buttstock on. I did not build mine to be a bench rifle.
For cost savings, I tried a LuthAR MBA. Didn't like. Put on a standard A2 fixed Buttstock. Comfortable and UGLY.
Considered a PRS. Aside from the cost, they are very heavy too.
Finally tried the Double Star ARFX Skeleton stock and love it. Comfortable, great cheek weld, rifle now balances nicely.

1578279222856.png

I would go with the A2 buttstock.
It would be cost-effective and look "correct" on that rifle.
You might even decide to keep it.

Believe it or not, DPMS makes one of the best A2 buttstocks.

As far as cheek weld you can always go old school and use foam or other filler and waterproof tape to build up and customize an A2 or other fixed stock.

I'm running a fairly over priced AR-10 in every component except the stock it's an A2 SPR stock with carved mousepad like foam and green electrical tape. It works gives me a perfect weld and clears the CH.

A butt stock like the one I had on my Smith and wesson M&P 10 performance center would probably work like a champ:
97aE9Eo.jpg

I immediately swapped it out for a PRS about 10 minutes after I bought it....

EpwFmoj.jpg
All of my AR's wear the PRS stock though. I like them enough to warrant the price. I don't mind the extra weight either...
LLJCinw.jpg
8ZUZ5Yp.jpg
6EPNma7.jpg

Another vote for just getting the PRS because you will probably end up there anyway. I had a Gen 1 UBR and got rid of it because I couldn't get a good cheek weld.

Okay, I have two questions:
1) Can one convert a mid-length to rifle-length gas system by closing the gas port, buying appropriate gas tube, and drilling new gas port, of course moving the front sight post further down the barrel? I am trying to make a classic a dissipator. They are scarce uppers to find, and PSA is selling them as mid-length instead of rifle-length,

2) Does closing the gas port altogether turn a AR into a bolt action?

Sorry if this topic has been touch many times.

My take on welding and redrilling a barrel is how do you know you don't have something sticking into the rifling? Either a bur from welding or a bur from drilling. Seems much safer to have someone cut and crown a rifle length barrel to your specs.

My take on welding and redrilling a barrel is how do you know you don't have something sticking into the rifling? Either a bur from welding or a bur from drilling. Seems much safer to have someone cut and crown a rifle length barrel to your specs.
Thats exactly what i was thinking too. Plus the heat from welding could warp the barrel or add stresses to the barrel and affect accuracy.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top