JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Okay, so after finishing my first AR build about 2 months ago, I'd already started buying parts for an AR10 build. I'm probably going to have a few more questions the further down the line I go but, for now, I'm gathering parts. Some questions are so simple/stupid that I'm going to wait until Aero's customer service comes back online after the holiday. They already have a log of my simpleton status.

The plan:
Aero Precision Enhanced upper/lower
22" 6.5 Creedmoor barrel - Not yet purchased or spec-ed

Question 1: I'm wanting a Magpul PRS stock. How can small shops like Patriot Firearms, Smokin' Guns, etc offer the same stock for $75 less than the big box stores like Midway, Brownells, etc? Are these legit products/websites?

Question 2: Buffer spring. I'm out of my depth on this one but have tried to research and have been left feeling more confused than I started. I'm pretty sure I want a JP Silent Captured Spring. My plan is to use the Aero Black Nitride BCG and Adjustable Gas Block .750 Low Profile. From JP's website, "The standard AR-10 SCS2-10 model is a LMOS™ (Low Mass Operating System) component meant to run best with a low-mass carrier like our JPBC-4". Does this mean I should:
A)Go with a low mass or adjustable BCG?
B)Go with the H2 configuration?
C)Go with an adjustable buffer (Odin or KAK) as well?

I have built 2 AR 10s now and built the last during the 'Rona.

You mention a 22 inch creedmore barrel by aero/BA (actually made by BA)

For just about the same price though you can get a wilson combat super sniper barrel which is fluted, and probably more accurate.

Question 1 answer: retailers pay dealer price on an item. They can charge whatever price they want on that item. So some big box retailers rely on a large volume of people going there, visiting their site etc for sales. Those big places are names everyone recognizes and shops at. As such prices can be higher because there's more traffic. They may also have a higher cost of overhead. Smaller shops pay (usually) the same price for a product, but to get people "in the door" they will price a hot item a bit lower, expecting and hoping that you'll buy more items with a higher profit margin once you're in. Like Costco 5 $ chickens. They lose money on the chicken but know you'll buy more high margin products once you're in.

Send question answer: don't even go down that rabbit hole. Buy an aero precision ar 10 carbine kit and call it done. Superlative arms adjustable gas block if you want to get froggy. The aero kit will cycle damn near everything with its 3.8 ounce buffer. Superlative arms gas block if you want to turn the rifle to your ammo. .308 doesn't recoil much to begin with.

You mention a 22 inch creedmore barrel by aero/BA (actually made by BA)

For just about the same price though you can get a wilson combat super sniper barrel which is fluted, and probably more accurate.

Question 1 answer: retailers pay dealer price on an item. They can charge whatever price they want on that item. So some big box retailers rely on a large volume of people going there, visiting their site etc for sales. Those big places are names everyone recognizes and shops at. As such prices can be higher because there's more traffic. They may also have a higher cost of overhead. Smaller shops pay (usually) the same price for a product, but to get people "in the door" they will price a hot item a bit lower, expecting and hoping that you'll buy more items with a higher profit margin once you're in. Like Costco 5 $ chickens. They lose money on the chicken but know you'll buy more high margin products once you're in.

Send question answer: don't even go down that rabbit hole. Buy an aero precision ar 10 carbine kit and call it done. Superlative arms adjustable gas block if you want to get froggy. The aero kit will cycle damn near everything with its 3.8 ounce buffer. Superlative arms gas block if you want to turn the rifle to your ammo. .308 doesn't recoil much to begin with.

I'm not committed to any barrel maker. Aero makes a 22" fluted that's sold out that I was either going to wait for to come in stock or go all out and get a Bartlein. I'll definitely check out Wilson.

Q1: Thank you. That makes perfect sense and makes me feel a lot better.
Q2: Follow-up rookie question: Carbine buffer tube instead of rifle? Is that going to change my LOP? I'm taller, so I'm assuming I'm going to dialing out the PRS stock already. I have no interest in tuning if I don't have to. I'd heard 6.5 was already fairly light recoil, but I've not shot one to decide from knowledge if I want it lighter or if it will cycle reliably.

I have one Wilson Combat, one Wilson Armament and two Ballistic Advantage barrels. Any of the above will perform very well.
Adjustable gas block is unnecessary but some swear by them.
Thanks for the confirmation on the barrels. I seemed to have found all the people who swear by the adj gas block. I guess block and buffer are the squeeky wheels that you only hear about when they're broken.

I guess block and buffer are the squeeky wheels that you only hear about when they're broken.
Buffer, spring and tube are very critical. Though you want to install a PRS, the fixed buffer tube is essential, along with the proper weight *and* spring. Wrong one, and you won't cycle.
I have an adjustable block. It's wide open to ensure all ammo will cycle in my AR10. Adjust it to one specific load, it won't cycle for another.

get a wilson combat super sniper barrel
I have one Wilson Combat
So it looks like the Super Sniper is on sale for $309 while the Ultimate Hunter is on sale for $218. Only differences I see are the UH isn't threaded and has more fluting to make it 11oz lighter. While doing a Form 1 suppressor is very intriguing to me, I'm too unfamiliar with the process to dive in right now. Am I overlooking anything for the $90 price difference?

So it looks like the Super Sniper is on sale for $309 while the Ultimate Hunter is on sale for $218. Only differences I see are the UH isn't threaded and has more fluting to make it 11oz lighter. While doing a Form 1 suppressor is very intriguing to me, I'm too unfamiliar with the process to dive in right now. Am I overlooking anything for the $90 price difference?
Heavier for lot of range shooting, if you are going to tote the thing lighter is 'weigh' more important (Just me being slick) For me I want light.

All my AR-10's are 308, I have four.

If you plan on hunting with this, or competitive off-hand shooting, get the lighter barrel. Bench, occasional shooting, or "just to have", super sniper.
Being able to suppress has value to buyers, and you, if you ever get a stamp. Threading a barrel for a suppressor later costs $75-$125 range (YMMV).

Who's brave enough for a plastic .308 lower? This comes with the receiver & jig kit & is $95 off

War Hog 80% .308 lower only $65

There is a PRS gen3 and a PRS Lite.

Make sure both places are selling the same one.

when it comes to buffers and springs there is the AR10 system and AR 308 System

Who's brave enough for a plastic .308 lower? This comes with the receiver & jig kit & is $95 off

War Hog 80% .308 lower only $65

Review of War Hog .308 lower & it isn't good

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews