JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is the barrel I bought.
It's a 16", in a mid length gas, with 5R rifling.

<broken link removed>

It looks like it has a lot going for it. I would definitely follow the advice that they have on their website, and avoid using a bolt that has a 308 match headspace with this barrel, unless you definitely plan to only shoot 308 Winchester, and not shoot any 7.62 NATO ammo.

I have 16, 18, and 20. If I were to hunt I could not trust myself to make a shot , clean kill, over 300 yards so why carry more. Now if the Zombie hoards appear on the far horizon I might change my tune, Truly considering giving my 20 to my long rifle loving son. I built the 18 and 20, bought the 16" a Armalite.

The M-14s were 22" barrel and had a Max effective range of 460 meters with open sights, according to the Army. Not max range but max effective range, the bullet could go much farther, but they reasoned you can only hit what you can see and beyond 500 yards it is hard to discern a upright man if he is not moving. The Automatic version M-14 A2 (Or E2) still had a 22" barrel with a longer muzzle brake and was good for 700 yards as they reasoned it would be a larger target like two or three men together. I hit 700 yard targets with it (Open sights, younger eyes) Most of the 22" data came from the Army....back then the Marines got discarded Army equipment for the most part.

You can't beat MEGA. That stuff is awesome.
For the price Aero can't be beat.
I've built two AR15s with Aero uppers and lowers and really like them
My build was originally going to be an Aero but they were out of everything a few months back.

I would love to see yours when it's done. My mega has become the "I'm only building one like it" so I'm dumping money into it.

I will likely build a lighter shorter lr308 with Aero next year. I held one of their AR15s a few months back and fell in lust.

Yeah I had been looking for a while and their .308 stuff was never in stock. I ended up buying a Blem lower. It's going to be a hunting gun so if it's not magazine perfect I don't care. I bought the upper and lower in FDE, ordered a 15" handguard in FDE and a stock.
So I'm excited about it. All of my AR15s are true black rifles.

I considered building a bigger rifle for hunting a few times. I have several buddies that have the "custom" bolt actions (to the tune of 5K and up) for the Montana hunts. That's not justifiable to me. I then considered building an AR type for long range. Something I didn't have to worry about getting banged up. I'm still beating my self up on a direction. Then comes the Ruger Precision rifle, and MEGA< expensive! Now with things being more high demand by the day, I might settle for a Ruger Creedmore

Even though I have the 5 round mag, and I think it's a 18" barrel, I don't carry my DPMS LR308 because it's heavy. My Browning M70 and Vanguard are both lighter by ~4#.
@2A2Dend, I built two long range shooters for hunting, 338 Edge and 7mm LRM, and with glass they weigh in at 13# and 12# respectively. If I had lighter stocks they'd be 11 & 10#. If I had gone with a sporter barrel, I could have shaved another 2#. I found those long heavy guns were impractical (and hard) for the coastal range. Instead I use a Ruger Hawkeye Stainless All Weather in 7mm-08 with a 20" barrel. 7# with glass, and I couldn't be happier. This fall will be my first year carrying it.

Even though I have the 5 round mag, and I think it's a 18" barrel, I don't carry my DPMS LR308 because it's heavy. My Browning M70 and Vanguard are both lighter by ~4#.

That is just so wrong that new Model 70's now say Browning on them, and Made in Portugal. Oliver Winchester must be rolling over in his grave.

I know that they initially made them at the FN factory in Columbia, SC for a few years, after the legendary Winchester New Haven factory was shut down. But then they switched to building them in Portugal.

Globalization strikes again.

I just bought some magpul Ar10 mags, bought a couple 10rd mags and a pack of 5rd limiters for hunting.
I'll be interested to see how much it weighs after it's all built. Might be a few weeks still to get all the parts.

I've been using a Rem 700 VTR and I just put a magpul hunter stock on it. Can't say it's really that light either.

I do think my AR-10s are all heavier than my mid '70s Model 70 7 MM Magnum and especially loaded. I do have a couple of ten round magazines for the 10s, but if I use a 20 or 25 round magazine then the weight of the loaded rifle really climbs. Reminded me of carrying a M14 with seven magazines to a M-16 with 19 mags (All 20 rounds back then and 16's were downloaded to 18 rounds. 14s were all loaded with 20 rounds)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top