JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The AK has a well deserved reputation for being an exceptionally reliable weapon platform: you can submerge it, you can drag it through a mud bog, you can never touch a cleaning rod again in your life......and it will still fire when the trigger is pulled.

But, while doing so, you will look like a rapper.

E

its the Indian not the arrow

Indians and arrows lost the war, guns won it.:D

I do get your point that it's the shooter that makes the system work. I saw a lot of guys with the quest to buy better equipment in the shooting matches only to still lose to a better shooter. I did see an improvement in their scores though which tells me if you buy good equipment you will shoot better.
The AK wasn't built as a target gun nor was the AR, but in my experience the AR shoots far better than an AK. What's the use of shooting if you can't hit what you shoot at?o_O

not only with guns, I used to race Hair and Hound.....used to regularly school posers on 10,000 dollar bikes with my $3500 Yamaha

Worked in the woods all my life....when it comes to Husky or Stihl you know which one is better ? The sharp one

not only with guns, I used to race Hair and Hound.....used to regularly school posers on 10,000 dollar bikes with my $3500 Yamaha

Worked in the woods all my life....when it comes to Husky or Stihl you know which one is better ? The sharp one

The equipment race is just to buy a better place in line when you are not the best. Winners normally have the best equipment for the challenge or maybe they are just better than everyone else they shoot against. Guy that was the best in Oregon in IPSC may only be 79th place in a national championship. Sometimes it's about who you beat more than what they are riding.

but...but ...Oli700! I NEED you to TELL me which one I should use?? which one is sharper??? I don't want to waste my time trying both out for myself and making up my own mind....aint nobody got time for that! WHICH ONE!!?!?!?!?! :confused:

AK or AR should be settled with a test of skill between like minded people, stock gun against stock gun at different combat ranges. I think the discussion will end when the targets get scored.:D

AK or AR should be settled with a test of skill between like minded people, stock gun against stock gun at different combat ranges. I think the discussion will end when the targets get scored.:D
Yes! That sounds fun too!! Box stock AR versus Box stock AK
Then a supped up AR versus a supped up AK..

squad training its a toss, that's training not weapons as much
grouping , AR every time sorry .
in firearm games the AR dominates for a reason. You don't see Ak in any Service Rifle comps or National Match
shear devastation goes to the X39 every time.......that's hard to judge when ringing steel or punching paper.
these days the AR can no longer be called unreliable or un-robust.
With the modern powders used in the 556 cartridges fouling is next to a nonfactor , with more modern machining, materials and lubricants , broken parts are very few and far between.
The AR and propellant have come light years since this fine rifle has got a bad rap
But I really don't have a dog in this one, my favorite X39 is an SKS

but for fun I'll take any and all comers in Southwest , I'll be in the supped up AR camp......waiting

imagejpg1_zps804f0e9f.jpg

My daughter and I went through the CMP class at DRRC a long time ago when it was a two day event. First day was class, second day was a 200yard match. This is the honest truth. My daughter had yet to shoot an AR, so after the class we went down to the firing line and shot 100yards to familiarize her with the AR...it was a Colt 20" MTHBAR.

Next day we show up for the match and when final scores came in she had spanked more than half of the guys on the line. Many had their tricked out rigs, jackets, mats, everything, but she beat them. Made me proud.

Two things I realized that day:
1) Women can be incredible shooters if encouraged. I think perhaps it is they don't ofter have all the preconceived notions we men carry with us. They just listen, learn and do.
2) She wouldn't have been able to hit the target consistently if she had used an AK. The sights (even with an RSA Mojo) are inferior and the 7.62x39 round is inconsistent.

All that said, I do belive the AK to be a better survival rifle for situations where maintenance will be at a minimum and/or the shooter is poorly educated regarding firearms care.

My $0.02 :D

My daughter and I went through the CMP class at DRRC a long time ago when it was a two day event. First day was class, second day was a 200yard match. This is the honest truth. My daughter had yet to shoot an AR, so after the class we went down to the firing line and shot 100yards to familiarize her with the AR...it was a Colt 20" MTHBAR.

Next day we show up for the match and when final scores came in she had spanked more than half of the guys on the line. Many had their tricked out rigs, jackets, mats, everything, but she beat them. Made me proud.

Two things I realized that day:
1) Women can be incredible shooters if encouraged. I think perhaps it is they don't ofter have all the preconceived notions we men carry with us. They just listen, learn and do.

I've been shooting all my life pretty much. I spent 4 years in the Marines, 2 of them as a DM over seas. I had rifle and pistol expert badges with 2nd awards. I have competed in Glock matches and done well I like to think I'm a decent shot over all.

That being said, my wife will out shoot me with her 10/22 EVERY single time. She had never fired a gun till she met me and I bought her the damn thing. Its a little embarrassing. She's also better with her 1911 than I am mine. :(:(

I've been shooting all my life pretty much. I spent 4 years in the Marines, 2 of them as a DM over seas. I had rifle and pistol expert badges with 2nd awards. I have competed in Glock matches and done well I like to think I'm a decent shot over all.

That being said, my wife will out shoot me with her 10/22 EVERY single time. She had never fired a gun till she met me and I bought her the damn thing. Its a little embarrassing. She's also better with her 1911 than I am mine. :(:(
Isnt it funny how that goes?!
I had a C93 a while back, my ex woman couldnt miss!! Meanwhile Id fire it and be nowhere near as accurate.

sounds like a job for Mark at fire Mountain? Or yankee marshal?

The toughest part of the entire competition would be establishing what constitutes a stock Ar15.

Stock Daniel defense? Noveske? Or does it have to be a Colt? A2? M4?

I totally agree on the AR charging handle. AKs have the charging handle on the wrong side IMHO.

Just picked this Robinson XCR-L up on gunbroker.com, it is the best of both worlds.
  • AR/AK hybrid with AR style lower and AK style upper and gas system.
  • Interchangeable calibers
  • THEY PUT THE CHARGING HANDLE ON THE LEFT SIDE !!!! ALLELUIA!!

<broken link removed>
8234143dc86154856a86d0b0447800c9_zps62bf0bfb.jpg
6ee33ba25e0dbcb94faff4e4f54137b7_zps3a5eb64b.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads