JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Me: Bill we need a long shot over here.
Bill: What?
Me: Bring the Mosin, we need a long shot.
Bill: What??
Me: Over here with the mosin... NOW!!
Bill: What??
Me: O geez never mind..
Bill: What?

Hammer of the Gods .....:D:D:D:D

The argument between which is better is a bit silly. Better for what?

Although I am a AR fan boy I have a healthy respect for the AK platform. It is a brilliant design for it's intended purpose, that of a cheap and easy to manufacture mass issued combat arm. In that capacity it was and still is brilliant.

Personally I am not buying rifles for combat and am not really excited about shooting targets with a rifle that at is expected to only shoot 5-6 MOA groups. Combat reliability is not an issue for me. If my AR gets dirty and I have to take 10 minutes to clean it I don't have to worry about my targets shooting back. Worst case is I have to put it back in a bag and shoot something else the rest of the day. That said I have put several thousand rounds through an AR without cleaning with zero malfunctions. The dreaded filthy "poo's where it eats" problem is simply not a problem for me and never has been.

The take down power of the 7.62x39 VS 5.56 is another non issue. Paper and steel targets are no more or less dead with one VS the other. If I really want to make that no good target pay I'll shoot it with a .308 AR

What it comes down too is I buy rifles because they are enjoyable to shoot and work on. Pro's and Cons are meaningless arguments when it involves a decision to buy one or the other. If I see a AK that makes my sticker peck out I'll buy it, I won't feel a bit guilty for doing so and none of those listed arguments will mean a damn thing in the decision making process.

And that's what I have to say about that.

Ohhhhh. It matters witch is best!

And we will never let the argument die! Even if my AK breaks in half, Or my AR burns to the ground!
There is no place for the reality ''Anything mechanical can fail"! My gun is best! It can not fail me! You maybe. But not me!

I will live on forever through my unfailing, unstoppable gun!

I have a little saying that sums up how I feel about my AK and my AR. "If I was a soldier positioned 100+ yards from a tree line waiting to shoot any enemy that emerged, I would definitely want my AR. If I was a soldier charging into that tree line to face any enemy that lay within, I would want my AK."

What happend to your post ZA?
Calm down guys, I had written a post earlier and decided it didnt pertain to the topic but was rather AK fanboy mantra.. No it didnt get "modded".

However my following post was me saying:
Im American, but I prefer AKs.. Yet the post I decided to bail on ended up saving and posting along with my short and sweet post.. Haha.

So I bailed on the whole post.. As Im At our Family farm in California (yeah I know) disassembling farm equipment.. Didnt have time to fan the AK flames. ;)

Aaanyhow.. AKs rock if you know how to actually shoot them.. Thats all I have to say about that.. And yes.. I certainly know how to shoot mine. But I also enjoy ARs.. I used to hate them.. But they've grown on me. Id only hipe my AR Brothers could open their eyes and see some of the true benefits of the AK platform. ;)

Pretty damned funny! Has anybody actually read all of those?

I do want an AK though, and it's possible from reading a good number of those that I now know all I need to know. Right?

I did, it took me 2 settings and a throne break. .... the wife kept asking what's so funny, your having way too much fun over there. .....:p
If anyone asks, its like politics, ya gotta sift through the BS to find the correct information....;)

In their original configuration as an assault rifle in full auto I shoot the AR much better than the AK. Out at the club I set up a man size target at 20 feet and had a good shooter empty a mag out of an AK on full auto at the target. He had shot the AK on full auto before but when he was done there was only three outside hits on the target.

AKs are more difficult to shoot accurately on full auto in my opinion, if I owned one I would leave it on semi.

Last Edited:
This is a great thread, but there are two misconceptions (or, misunderstandings).

First, this is not a question of "which platform is better?" The OP asked for pros and cons, and he and the next buddy did a fine job of elucidating for the rest of us. So stop with the grandstanding---nobody really cares anymore about AR vs AK.

Second, mostly to the OP, you did us a great favor for starting this thread (because it is educational). However, temper your displeasure at ElBilbo (maybe I got this name wrong?): His over-the-top response is also educational. The point is to tease out all that is good and bad in both platforms. You both did a stand up job on that today. Take a bow, have a beer, and go home.

^^Salute^^

This is a great thread, but there are two misconceptions (or, misunderstandings).

First, this is not a question of "which platform is better?" The OP asked for pros and cons, and he and the next buddy did a fine job of elucidating for the rest of us. So stop with the grandstanding---nobody really cares anymore about AR vs AK.

Second, mostly to the OP, you did us a great favor for starting this thread (because it is educational). However, temper your displeasure at ElBilbo (maybe I got this name wrong?): His over-the-top response is also educational. The point is to tease out all that is good and bad in both platforms. You both did a stand up job on that today. Take a bow, have a beer, and go home.

^^Salute^^
Wow, I had no idea there was a mediator on NWF. Outstanding. You should take a bow, have beer, and don't go home mad....just go home!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top