JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've seen some use things as simple as a piece of oak shaped like a magazine clamped in a vise. Also, an old magazine body filled with plaster of paris.

For barrel nut removal or torquing, the best tool is one that wraps the upper so it can be clamped tightly during barrel nut removal or tightening.

Tools like the one above are getting scarce. If your upper is a "flat top" I have had great success by just using couple pieces of oak to make "soft jaws" for my vice. One against the picatinney rail and one on the surface that mates with the lower.

Was not wanting to drop the cash on a DPMS Claw but figure I am going to have to now. 45 bucks for a pc of plasctic is just not right but either is 50 bucks for a pmag:s0114:

I will sell you one for 10.00. Its just a plastic block that goes in a vise, the goes where your mag goes in. I live in vancouver. let me know. its the vise block.

I know about the mag well plastic holder but the Claw is for the upper and great for barrel installs. I have one in .308 and the upper does not even move when clamped in. Here is what I am talking about DPMS Panther Claw for AR15 I just do no trust a plastic chunk in the mag well to take the torque when installing the barrel nut.

I bought a receiver block, barrel blocks, and armorer's wrench from Midway for a total of about $80. Changed out my barrel easily and quickly. There's no substitute for the right tools.

I've seen some use things as simple as a piece of oak shaped like a magazine clamped in a vise. Also, an old magazine body filled with plaster of paris.

For barrel nut removal or torquing, the best tool is one that wraps the upper so it can be clamped tightly during barrel nut removal or tightening.

Tools like the one above are getting scarce. If your upper is a "flat top" I have had great success by just using couple pieces of oak to make "soft jaws" for my vice. One against the picatinney rail and one on the surface that mates with the lower.

:s0166:
I usually try to make parts and specialty tools myself for my various half finished projects. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't but what am I out? A little time and scrap wood/metal and learing invaluable skills it gets you thinking.

:s0166:
I usually try to make parts and specialty tools myself for my various half finished projects. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't but what am I out? A little time and scrap wood/metal and learing invaluable skills it gets you thinking.

I think this is why so many today opt for building an AR-15 rather than a Bolt Action from scratch.

I grew up in the day and age where one would buy a barreled action, often Mil-Surp, and then hand craft the rest of the rifle.

AR-15's are more like "Lego's" or an "Erector Set". Not near the craftsmanship skills required.

I have several of each and I still prefer my Bolt Action Builds best.

O)K so I trust deadshot2's word but remember not all people are mechanically inclined.

So each person needs to gauge their own level of expertise with tooling.
I am somewhat(or more) inclined to be able to figure this stuff out. I take down ARs for folks that look at me like I'm a genius.(haha watch Forest Gump)

My whole idea is that some,deadshot2,may be able to make tools and some may ,simply be able to take the gun down.

Decide your level of ingenuity before you make stuff that may break your gun.
The aluminum will break if you tweak it too much. No worries,just $130 and a 6 month wait.
:s0162:

O)K so I trust deadshot2's word but remember not all people are mechanically inclined.

So each person needs to gauge their own level of expertise with tooling.
I am somewhat(or more) inclined to be able to figure this stuff out. I take down ARs for folks that look at me like I'm a genius.(haha watch Forest Gump)

My whole idea is that some,deadshot2,may be able to make tools and some may ,simply be able to take the gun down.

Decide your level of ingenuity before you make stuff that may break your gun.
The aluminum will break if you tweak it too much. No worries,just $130 and a 6 month wait.
:s0162:

Shouldn't people be doing that anyway before they even try "messing" with their AR's, with the "Store bought" tools or not?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top