JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am new to the AR world and have been doing a lot of research; both from manufacturers and of course end users. I thought I had my search narrowed down to Wyndham Arms. Then I hear about Curt's and figured I'd check em out. Long story short, Curt directed to one of three disassembled AR kits. Consisting of Anderson Lower and Upper; disassembled, mag, and a case. No sights. The price ranged from $599 to $649.
I want to know if any of you have purchased one of these kits and what your thoughts, experience, and opinion may be about them. After putting sights on it, I'd be looking at around $750. Is it worth it or should I pony up the few extra dollars and get the Wyndham and put optics on it?
I posted the same question in the Curt's forum area, but thought I'd put it in the general discussion.
Any reply's would be appreciated....thanks

You can get full rifles (not kits) for those prices now-a-days.

Del-Ton, Carbine Rifle (Del-Ton Carbine 16 - $699)
<broken link removed> (DPMS Oracle 223 - $681)
Mossberg MMR Tactical Semi Automatic Rifle 5.56 NATO 16.25" Barrel 30 Rounds Synthetic Collapsible Stock Phosphate Finish with Sights 65014 (Mossberg MMR Tactical - $761)

Usually kits don't include the lower receiver...so make sure you're getting everything included and not just getting an expensive kit. Also, most kits runs about $500.

Riot --
I don't know the answer to that. I can only assume they would do that when they assembled the gun.

I've never bothered to check the head space on an AR. Either it's right or doesn't run. You don't change it or machine to fit.

Figure out what you want the rifle to do then build the gun to suit. All of the kits currently on the market and all of the cheap rifles will not be nearly as nice as one that is at least free floated. Look at the Colt Competition and Seekins SP3G rifles for desirable configurations. You can build a similar rifle for less and still save money because you bought once and cried once.

I was under the impression that a barrel when fitted with the barrel extension at the time of manufacture was headspaced during the fitment process... am I off base here?

I have swapped barrels between different uppers without any issues.

I was under the impression that a barrel when fitted with the barrel extension at the time of manufacture was headspaced during the fitment process... am I off base here?

I have swapped barrels between different uppers without any issues.

That's about right, but you can always have someone do a bad job at the factory.

Switching bolts between barrels can lead to bolts breaking. Over time the bolt and barrel extension can wear together and changing them up can lead to more stress on the locking lugs.

I bought one of the kits from them some time ago. Just after the panic started dying down. I took it out and shot it and the gas block slid out of place. It looked like someone forgot to stake the set screws down (mistakes happen everywhere) I took it back in and without so much as asking for a receipt or proof of purchase the guy behind the counter said "bubblegum we better get that fixed." Took it back and fixed it up in about 5 minutes. It's run like a dream ever since. The kits they build seem to be from quality parts. They are a local business. They treated me right when I had a problem. And I've never heard anyone complain about them.
My opinion is that if you're looking for a decent rifle, go for them. If you're looking for a "race gun" and want to spend a lot more go with a high end brand. But I believe the rifles they build are equal in quality to del-ton, dpms, smith & Wesson m&p15, etc...

I am new to the AR world and have been doing a lot of research; both from manufacturers and of course end users. I thought I had my search narrowed down to Wyndham Arms. Then I hear about Curt's and figured I'd check em out. Long story short, Curt directed to one of three disassembled AR kits. Consisting of Anderson Lower and Upper; disassembled, mag, and a case. No sights. The price ranged from $599 to $649.
I want to know if any of you have purchased one of these kits and what your thoughts, experience, and opinion may be about them. After putting sights on it, I'd be looking at around $750. Is it worth it or should I pony up the few extra dollars and get the Wyndham and put optics on it?
I posted the same question in the Curt's forum area, but thought I'd put it in the general discussion.
Any reply's would be appreciated....thanks

You couldn't go wrong buying from Curts. The people are honest and very helpful.
Curt is a good man.

Hate to tell ya'll this, but the vast majority of AR "makers" (more like builders) buy the same forgings from the same sources, so for the most part the only difference is the name in the roll stamp and quality of finish they put on them.

Barrels are a different matter though, and I've had great results with Aramlite barrels. ;)

Frontline Arms in Beaverton is moving at the moment and isn't open, but they have complete ARs on the wall for $650. Don't remember the brand off the top of my head, but they were good. Iron sights and everything! Not sure when they reopen at the new location, though. And Beavercreek Armory had complete Olympic Arms ARs on the shelf for $750.

Thanks everyone.....I am going to be doing a little more looking around but I am leaning toward the small business end of it. I haven't heard anything bad about Curt's and that says a lot about a company and what they sell. But who knows....haha

Thanks everyone.....I am going to be doing a little more looking around but I am leaning toward the small business end of it. I haven't heard anything bad about Curt's and that says a lot about a company and what they sell. But who knows....haha

You will definitely like what they have, the prices and also the folks that work there.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top