JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a Armalite AR-10 and like most, but not all AR-10's it has an A2 style butt-stock and a few 7.62 AR's have a adjustable butt-stock like most of the AR 5.56 platforms have. I presumed that the A2 stock handled recoil better, but I don't know that to be factual. The A2 fits me fine, but the Warden hefted it to her shoulder and I thought it to be a little long for her. She can adjust her AR-15 stock to fit. I believe I will leave the AR-10 the way I got it, but does anyone have any actual experience using both style stocks on a 7.62 platform. Would you change out the stock if it were yours?

Yes, I like the Magpul CTR + LaRue RISR combo: <broken link removed>

And I would not call the wife a "warden" in a place that she can easily read it... Just saying.

Well then I'll stick with the regular A2 style. Armalite does offer some parts but it isn't clear that they are A2 replacements, some seem to indicate they replace models that already had M4 style stocks.
I had originally bought ten 7.62 P-mags, but they won't fit my model. I have as many metal mags for it so no big whoop. Armalite clearly marches to their own drumbeat.
Love the trigger on mine.

Armalite makes collapsable stock for the AR10 so do other companies such as Magpul you just need to make sure you get a Armalite Ar10 compatible collapsable stock .

The LR308 type rifle uses the AR15 collapsable stock with a shorter buffer. these will not work on the Armalite AR10.

Went from a collapsable to fixed on a LAR-8. I don't think it makes much difference in terms of recoil, but I like the fixed stock's cheek weld better. However if the wife can't shoulder it a collapsable might be the best route (unless Armalite makes a compatible A1 stock, which are 5/8" shorter IIRC). Also the best way to tame recoil is just get a limbsaver pad for it (which will make it a tad longer, another reason for an A1 stock).

I'll not mess with it. The Recoil isn't really bad, I have shot a few rifles with more kick. I was wondering more for my smaller partner, then I realized..."What if she decides she likes mine..." I might be back to a slingshot!

Wow. So much wrong info in this thread.

The AR-10 and SR-25 series generally use a full size AR-10 carbine buffer. Due to the longer bolt carrier, the buffer tube/receiver extension is also longer.

The DPMS LR308 series uses AR-15 components with a standard AR-15 receiver extension. It does, however, require a shorter carbine buffer.

If you match the receiver extension with the buffer and buffer spring it all fits.

So in your case, if it is truly and AR-10 you have two options:
1) AR-10 length receiver extension (VLTOR A5 tubes also work), AR-10 carbine buffer, AR-10 carbine buffer spring (or cut down rifle length spring.
2) More common, is using an AR-15 tube, a shortened buffer (such as one from Heavybuffers.com) and a AR-10 carbine buffer spring (or cut down rifle length spring).

Easy peasy.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads