JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I looked at an ATI 9mm AR yesterday and like it however when shouldering it there is NO drop with the M4 stock configuration and when sighting down the rail it was like looking at a 'stairway to heaven' as the barrel was angled upwards.

Are there ways to adjust the drop on an AR ?

I don't recall having this problem with my 'old' A1 Sporter with the 'solid' stock.

I'll preface by saying I know nothing about the ATI 9mm you are referring to, but a fundamental design aspect of an AR is an inline stock, meaning the center of the bore is the same as the center of bolt face and the receiver extension, therefore stock, the sights/optics are then elevate to an appropriate height.

I don't see an option for dropper stock as it will not be able to beyond the top of the RE. Raising the front sight would be the only option.

Drop?

Are you referring to cheek placement?

Only a few stocks exist for the AR15 to get a higher cheek placement. It's relatively harder to do on an AR because of the charging handle.

Here is the Luth AR one for example.

1576013806647.jpeg

I'll preface by saying I know nothing about the ATI 9mm you are referring to, but a fundamental design aspect of an AR is an inline stock, meaning the center of the bore is the same as the center of bolt face and the receiver extension, therefore stock, the sights/optics are then elevate to an appropriate height.
Beat me to it.

What he said..

I think a 'modern' AR with an M4 stock is 'off the table' for me because of the stock issue.

There is no drop in the stock and this creates a condition where the barrel is pointing upward as I am sighting down it.

Not quite 'skyward' but I can see the whole rail and count the grooves.

In not sure about this particular issue honestly. I guess id question how you are interfacing with the stock itself. I shoot with my nose pretty darn close to the charging handle, which keeps my face low on the stock. Ive never had the barrel pointing upwards like it sounds you are describing.

I think a 'modern' AR with an M4 stock is 'off the table' for me because of the stock issue.

There is no drop in the stock and this creates a condition where the barrel is pointing upward as I am sighting down it.

Not quite 'skyward' but I can see the whole rail and count the grooves.

What kind of sights did it have on it? It sounds to me (and I could be mistaken) like what you would see shouldering any AR15 type rifle without any sights installed.
The reason the sight plane on AR' s is so high is to compensate for the lack of drop in the stock.

There is no "drop" on the M16 stock either?

1576274989871.jpeg

If this is what your used to, then a set of raised sights might be better for you.

Not sure what your experience with the AR15 clones is like, but none of them have a stock lower than the line of the barrel.

If your shouldering an M4 with no sights, then yes, you'll just be looking down the rail. Like this wonderfully illustrated picture from the walking dead.

1576275093854.jpeg

here is no "drop" on the M16 stock either?
Correct - and look how high the guy has the stock UP on his shoulder to create a level sight plane.

The AR I was looking at had NO sights but as such when I shoulder a rifle I want a level sight plain.

My only experience with AR was A1s & 2s and my own 'early' 1979 A1 Sporter, and a few I have shot of friends and others while out shooting.

This all has to do with my tall, lanky build with my 'ape arms' and long neck !

Last Edited:
Ive got a long torso, and long arms (pantsvare hard to find, im not "small" so i get interesting oant sizes.
But the picture of the guy in acu's is shooting like that to get the stock into the pocket above the plate in that iotv. Hard to shoulder any other way with that carrier.

The drop, or lack of it on the AR-series, is moot... seems to me they all shoot about the same.
I have several ARs, and no two have the same type of buttstock. My preference (and I like them all) is the old M16-AR15 buttstock. The improved longer sort work fine- until the winter clothing comes out... But old habits die hard I suppose and having learned on the "shorty-style" original...
Now what I REALLY miss is the carry-handle, of all things. Ive got an old 3-X scope mounted on one and it works fine, am used to aiming over that handle, makes for a MORE HEAD-UPRIGHT position. The new "flip-up" M4 rear sight mounted on an en-bloc picatinny strikes me as being flimsy.. the carry-handle mounted rear sight is well-protected in the event of mishaps. YMMV!

[QUOTE="RVTECH, post: 2409988, member: 139]
I don't recall having this problem with my 'old' A1 Sporter with the 'solid' stock.
[/QUOTE]
Your old A1 Sporter had a carry handle elevating the rear sight and s front sight post elevated by the FSB.

Once you put sights on the rail they too will be elevated and you will be looking parallel to the barrel rather than across the top of the rail.

Once you put sights on the rail they too will be elevated and you will be looking parallel to the barrel rather than across the top of the rail.
If I were looking DOWN the top if the rail I.E. as the rail being on a level sight plane i would not have a problem but adding sight is not going to solve the stock drop issue.

For example - when I shoulder a Mod 94 Winchester and sight down the barrel I have a perfect, sight plane parallel to the barrel - I do not really see any of the top of the barrel - just a flat line - no part of the top of the barrel.

When sighing down the AR barrel I could see the entire rail as it was tilting upward. I did NOT have a parallel sight plane to the barrel and adding sights is NOT going to give me a flat, parallel sight plane. I found myself 'fighting' to level the barrel but with the stock essentially inline with the barrel and with no drop this is not possible.

Even my Ruger PCC stock drop is not perfect but because it is a 'conventional' design it fits me much better than the AR stock.

It's OK however as I have concluded a 'modern' AR is not going to be ergonomically 'viable' for me with a typical M4 style stock.

Maybe I'll look as some others, or maybe find an A1 or A2 to hold again as a comparison.

RV, you're over thinking. An M16, A1, A2, M4, they're all the same. The sight plane is based (and dependent) on the receiver tube. That's never changed, so what you're claiming as a deficiency, just doesn't make sense at all. If the gun has the typical M16 front sight/gas block, add the appropriate rear sight to bring the sight plane level to the barrel. A conventional rifle has the sights on the bore. No comparison. It sounds to me like you are wanting to have sights that are short in height, and that's not going to happen.

If the gun has the typical M16 front sight/gas block, add the appropriate rear sight to bring the sight plane level to the barrel. A conventional rifle has the sights on the bore. No comparison. It sounds to me like you are wanting to have sights that are short in height, and that's not going to happen.
Hmm.. good point and I never took this into consideration - AND you are right about the sights - I don't really want anything particularly tall.

Oh well, I'll just stick with my 'conventional' rifle designs.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top