JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
They want to teach you to use your sling to support your shooting. You can not do that with a single point sling.

I am sure it depends on who you have "instructing" at the class. I prefer my firearms with 2 point sling that mounts in the front on the left and in the rear on the right side of the stock. This way the rifle always hangs in the "low ready" position and unlike a single point sling when you "drop" it to transition your manhood is not in danger. I assumed the "instructors" were well versed but I got a look like I had a arm growing out of my forehead with a statement they had no idea how to help improve my shooting with sling use in this situation.

So the experience I had is they seem well versed in one style of shooting and I will even say "older" style of shooting as very seldom does the military use slings in the "traditional" position.

The G.I. canvas slings work well and are easier for a novice. In the prone position a properly adjusted sling greatly increases stability of the rifle.
In competition shooting most shooters use leather slings on the AR rifle. In the prone position the difference between sling and no sling is like
night and day. The sling attaches only to the front of the rifle and high on the bicep. Properly adjusted you should have to push the butt
of the rifle to get it on your shoulder. http://www.illinoishighpower.org/general_highpower_info/ISRA SR Sling.pdf

Thanks guys - I forgot to mention that I'm going to mount it on 2 points. The front will be on the left of the barrel and the rear is in a QD swivel on the left of the stock (it's a Magpul STR stock). It might also be worth noting that I'm right-handed.

So it sounds like a GI sling is probably the way to go over one of the two options I posted?

As an Appleseed instructor I recommend you get a GI web sling and use it for the AS training in order to get the most benefit out of the type of rifle marksmanship training given at that event. The GI sling provides the best stability for the various shooting positions and is very inexpensive. After you've been through an Appleseed if you prefer to use a single, two or three point sling on your AR you will at least have something to compare them to, and then use what you like the best. Appleseed is geared more toward long rang marksmanship skills than tactical, close range use of the rifle--therefore the GI sling is preferred. A tactical sling may be the preferred option for CQB scenarios over the web sling due to the "hands free" option, such as when use of the handgun is called for. If you elect to use a tactical sling, make sure you know how to attach it and use it to obtain a stable shooting position. There are so many tactical slings out there the instructors may not be familiar with your particular sling.

I've opted for the GI web sling on all my rifles for the sheer stability factor. Once it's properly in place, it provides a really stable shooting platform.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top