JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I had an old 4x pistol scope and thought I'd mount it up like I see on those scout rifles. It works good ! You can pickup the scope image and still see all around pretty good. With the travel of the butt stock its easy to get good eye relief. Now just to get out and really try it.

IMG_0124_zpshmqdpwqc.jpg

Greater the power you will lose focus on the field and shut one eye. The original intention was a low power scope for quick sighting and the ability to keep both eyes open on the field.

I do not see any advantage to do this. The entire reason for having the scope mounted forward on a scout rifle was to be able to have a magnified optic and still be able to use stripper clips and general easier loading.

Very few modern rifles allow the use of stripper clips to reload with the mag in place - most of them are WWII era or earlier. The FN-FAL and the M1A are exceptions to that rule.

The primary benefit of the forward mount optic - in my experience and opinion - is the maintenance of the field of view, primarily by being able to keep both eyes open at the same time, thus allowing the shooter to make quick accurate shots at lower magnification, especially repeat shots.

Reloading with a stripper clip is another advantage, as is the general access to the action of the rifle, to work the bolt easier and faster and to clear malfunctions.

[QUOTE="The primary benefit of the forward mount optic - in my experience and opinion - is the maintenance of the field of view, primarily by being able to keep both eyes open at the same time, thus allowing the shooter to make quick accurate shots at lower magnification, especially repeat shots.[/QUOTE]

Which is just as easily accomplished with ACOGs, ELCANs, and Aimpoint/EOTech magnifier combos

As stated above, I'm using a 4x pistol scope, as I don't have ACOGs, ELCANs, and Aimpoint/EOTech magnifier combos. I'm sure they work just fine. They are generally mounted to the rear which still inhibits your peripheral vision. I suppose you could mount them forward also and get the advantage of a wide field of view around the optic.

Last Edited:
Well ya got me curious so I put the old (cheapo site mark) sight back on up in the forward position. Its works great up there aside from being junk:D Now I gotta put my scope back on.:rolleyes:

d1395340-5572-47ed-b783-dd602d4b8869_zpsqib0osiz.jpg

Which is just as easily accomplished with ACOGs, ELCANs, and Aimpoint/EOTech magnifier combos

Do any of these have variable magnification?

Also, to get the benefits, you still have to mount them forward.

I am not excluding them, they seem like good optics, and I don't think anyone said to exclude those, any optic with the necessary eye relief would work IMO.

It's all what ever floats your boat when building a scout rifle I guess. Reading about it back when they first came up with it the goal was to make the perfect light weight rifle for a scout. They designed it as a tool to be used with the tactics a scout would use.

Today it's just mounting a scope forward on a rifle.

Take down lever guns just a bout have to have them mounted at the front. On my 10/22 TD I managed to mount it on the back but it still stick out an 1" 1/2 or so. Barely fits the case.

My other AR's are so heavy I want to keep this one light. The pistol scope is very light and doesn't seem to throw the gun out of balance at all. I'll have to take it out and shoot some dirt, see how it goes.:p

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top