JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm plotting to add some glass to my AR- but I don't want to get rid of my irons. I'm not a fan of co-witnessing with the standard front sight base, because IMO the front sight takes up too much realestate in the scope's picture (and I don't want to futz around with risers and cheek pieces - I like my MOE stock the way it is).

What I've been planning thus far, was to have the FSB removed and replaced with a railed gas block. Right now my biggest decision is thus - do I go with a set of folding sights like Magpul's, or do I go with the 45 degree offset "rapid transition" sights that are becoming popular on the 3-Gun AR's. The reason I like the RTS idea is that I don't need to detach the scope (and thus potentially loose zero) to transition to irons for up-close work. I've played with both a little bit, but no rounds downrange with the RTS type sights - so for those who have live-fire time with them, what do you think? I'd prefer not to drop $200 on a set of irons, but I also am leery of the $40 cheapies I've found at places like CDNN or eBay. Anyone with practical knowledge have a recommended set in the $100-ish range?

Magpul folding sight are not designe to go onto a gas block. First the height is different from railed hand guards and secondly the plastic may not hold up to the high tempature the gas block my develope from high rates of fire (this most likely won't be an issue for 98% of all AR shooters but...)

I like the Magpul sight, but they must be mounted on a free float hand guard, I have a set on mounted and they are out of the way when using my Aimpoint...

IMO... Magpul MBUS (or other basic) sights on RTS mounts is a slick way to go. Lets face it, if you put a modest magnification optic, especially a 1X low side variable on an AR, you'll seldom use the irons... but, if the optic is damaged, mudded up or otherwise incapacitated, you may not be able to easily remove the optic for a clear iron sight picture. I'd rather spend the money on RTS offsets than a QD scope mount.
Depending on the size of the objective, the eye relief and the magnification, even a low power optic can restrict FOV... this is another place where an RTS system comes in handy.

Now... if you want to co-witness with a holo sight... well, that's something else. :p

Cheers,
C

In the past I wanted to go with a red dot or holosight - but decided that since I'm not likely to be kicking doors or engaging hordes of zombies anytime soon - a more useful option was to go with something like a 3-9 power scope. Redfield has some scopes that are 3-9x40 or 3-9x42 that I like.

Thanks techieguy, for pointing out that the magpul sights are a no-go on a railed gasblock - the last thing I need is to melt my front sights. I don't have a quad-rail on my rifle, rather I've got the MOE fore end on my gun. If I attach a rail segment on top - it sits over a quarter inch taller than the rail on the upper receiver - so I that'd be a no-go also.

So it seems that my options are either to get the RTS angled mounting rail, then add whichever standard BUIS to them - or buy a set of RTS sights and keep it simpler.

The rifle project is in the "in progress" stage now. I've got a free float rail system, a set of RTS offset sights, and a low profile gas block coming in the mail - along with a new receiver end plate to go with my single point sling. I should have all the parts in by Wednesday or Thursday. I don't have a vice or bench, or barrel wrench to do some of the work - so I'm going to have to take the upper to a gunsmith and have him mount the free float and new gas block.

Next week I'm going to be purchasing the scope and rings - at this point I'm leaning toward the Redfield Revenge 3-9x42. Still undeceided on QD or standard scope mount.

Also waffling on the idea of camo'ing the rifle - or leaving it all black. There's pros and cons to each.

Curt, of Curt's Discount Shooter Supply fame, was kind enough to install my rail and new low-pro gas block for me on Thursday. I mounted the sights and end plate when I got home - and I must say I'm digging the setup. I'm picking up a scope to complete (ha!) the project on Friday next. Redfield is offering $30 mail in rebates for their Revenge and Revolution series of scopes - and that little bit of info is tipping my scope decision toward the Revolution (which is made in Beaverton, whereas the Revenge are made in the Philippines) 3-9x40.

Eventually I'm going to upgrade both the rail system (lusting for a Noveske setup - nice and slim, without 400 miles of rail unless you want to bolt that much rail on) - and probably upgrade to better irons in the future.

I've also re-evaluated my stance on the Magpul AFG-2 I purchased last spring. I tried it once and hated it. But my grip was wonky - and the new setup is forcing me into using more of an iso stance with the rifle - and the AFG feels a lot better and gives me better purchase on the gun. So I'm keeping it, for now.

I love how easy it is to transition to the offset sights, then back again. I wonder why I didn't do this sooner now.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top