JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok so i just finished my AR build and i have about 5 rounds through it so obviously not broken in.
I got the .22 conversion and i was wondering if i should run 5.56 through it first to break it in before i use the .22. If so how many, and if not is it ok to shoot the .22 through or does the barrel and gas system need to be run in first.

I know its a newb question but im a newb ;).

Thanks in advance, Matt

Congratulations on your first build.... soon, you'll be a junkie...LOL...

Everyone has different opinions on how to properly break in an AR, and i'm sure you'll hear them all.... just go out an shoot the thing & Have lot's of fun. :)

Just remember to Clean it thoroughly after each outing. Shoot as many rounds as you can afford...

oh yeah, post some pic's....

Stay Safe.

Guess it depends on what you mean by "break in".

With the .22 kit the the bullets barely touch the barrel (.221" bullet in a .224" barrel), so almost no effect there. The kit that drops in uses NONE of the operating system of the upper so again has no effect.

Hey Matt, Im not an expert on barrels, but do use a .22 conversion kit in my AR, Like stated above, I don't think it can hurt your new barrel. One suggestion is to shoot a couple of .223 rounds after shooting .22 to blow fouling out of the gas tube.

Most 22 kits like to run wet, at least initially. Also running CCI mini-mag's will help smooth things out for the first couple mags at least. Now if you really want there used to be a great link on all the spots to polish on the kit as well as swap to lakeside springs, I'll have to hunt for the link though now but it definitely helped.

All a .22 conversion can do to your rifle that is "bad" is build up carbon/crap in your gas tube. But, that's easily taken care of by shooting break cleaner down your gas tube after ever 1000 or so rounds.

As for the conversion, they work fine. But, most AR's have rifling that is meant for a heaveir bullet and won't stabalize the .22 ammo as well. So, the accuracy is crap and it's just a waste of .22 ammo. You can't get any accuracy out of it.

As for break in ..... it's all a bunch of crap. The very first shot out of your barrel is the most accurate. Ever shot after that, just wears the barrel. Break in just laps the barrel rifling. But, the lapping will happen anyway by just simply firing the gun. Don't waste your time with an extensive break in procedure. Just shoot it.

All a .22 conversion can do to your rifle that is "bad" is build up carbon/crap in your gas tube. But, that's easily taken care of by shooting break cleaner down your gas tube after ever 1000 or so rounds.

As for the conversion, they work fine. But, most AR's have rifling that is meant for a heaveir bullet and won't stabalize the .22 ammo as well. So, the accuracy is crap and it's just a waste of .22 ammo. You can't get any accuracy out of it.

+1
I never got the .22 AR conversion, why not just shoot a .22 rifle.

As for break in ..... it's all a bunch of crap. The very first shot out of your barrel is the most accurate. Ever shot after that, just wears the barrel. Break in just laps the barrel rifling. But, the lapping will happen anyway by just simply firing the gun. Don't waste your time with an extensive break in procedure. Just shoot it.

I do agree a extensive break in procedure is a general waste of time, I disagree on the first round being the most accurate. I've had several rifle that would tighten up the groups after 30-50 rounds had been fired. I attribute part to barrel wear in and part the the receive settling into the wood. It's a minor point;)

+1
I never got the .22 AR conversion, why not just shoot a .22 rifle.

Because it was 100 bucks and i couldnt pass on it. What kind of accuracy is he expecting? lol I bought it so when i cant afford to shoot 5.56 all the time i wont have a 8 pound 1200 dollar paperweight. Plus its really fun, and ive heard people get decent groups out of it as well, not match grade rifle groups but decent enough. Oh and i already have a .22 rifle so i can always use the ammo.

Matt

You forgot one important piece. Lead from the bullets fouling your rifling. Run a couple of patches with CLP before you go from 22 to 5.56 as a precaution. Lead fouling in the rifling can cause excessive pressure build up in your weapon when you shoot FMJ thru it after lead bullets.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top