1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $1,000 in prizes this month in the Northwest Firearms Winter Giveaway!
    Dismiss Notice

AR question

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by usmc0311, Feb 26, 2009.

  1. usmc0311

    usmc0311 Portland Member

    Likes Received:
    I'm looking at picking up a bushmaster AR15, but would like to get a CQB upper in addition to the regular upper. Is the CQB upper a class III type of thing, or can anyone buy them?

    Anyone know where to get one?

  2. nx302stang

    nx302stang PAC-NW Member

    Likes Received:
    buy a 'pistol' lower. You can get it as short as you can!
  3. eldbillbo

    eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

    Likes Received:
    any one can buy a short barreled upper provided they have a registered sbr lower or a as mentioned a pistol lower provided the pistol lower does not have a stock on it .

    also as a pistol you can not have a forward grip on it YOU WILL GO TO JAIL if you do.

    IF its a rifle and if the barrel lenth is under 16" you have to register the lower receiver as a sbr and tax stamp it or YOU WILL GO TO JAIL

    same if its auto or burst has to be registered and pay tax stamp

    note you have to register and be approved before you can get any of the above so don't run out and buy a short barrel upper with out registering the lower and getting approved

    if you want a silencer you will need a registered the silencer prior to buying the silencer

    On a pistol lower you can not have a short barrel upper and stock and or a forward grip on at the same time YOU WILL GO TO JAIL unless you first register the lower as a sbr and pay for tax stamp however a pistol lower can have a short barrel upper but NO STOCK
  4. usmc0311

    usmc0311 Portland Member

    Likes Received:
    I was afraid of that. Ideally I'd like to not have it registered (so the gov't can't come take it away as easily). I might just have to deal with the 16" barrel, and was never a fan of the 3 rd. burst as it is. Guess it's that one shot one kill mentality I had drilled into me :laugh:
  5. SheepDog223

    SheepDog223 Salem Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    So, can I file for a SBR tax stamp... Then buy a short upper.... Then put it on top of my ar reciever? Is is that simple? I Don't suppose I could go back and forth after that could I?
  6. ob1

    ob1 49th parallel Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    This might be more relevant in the Class 3 forum, but since the topic is up, I noticed USMC0311 shows a PDX home area. I haven't played with the idea myself for a few years, but this may be a now of never window we are in now.
    Just what is the latest status on getting a tax stamp signed in Portland ?
    I remember you used to need to retain an attorney to push them in to signing.
    Has it lightened up any lately ?
  7. ORBrit

    ORBrit Eugene Member

    Likes Received:
    If you go the Corp or Living Trust route, you bypass local LE signoff and fingerprinting.

    I believe once you have the stamp, you can switch barrel lengths as often as you want.