JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
anybody build a "true" M4 clone before?

legally in order to use a butstock I'll have to pin and weld something to the end to make it over 16"

Obviosly I could use a pistol brace and stay with an unmodified muzzle and easily switch from flash hider to supressor... but I'm thinking either an extended A2 pinned and welded...
68F27954-6EC8-4057-AE3D-1D44E4F77C63.jpeg

or KAC makes a small spacer that goes on before a standard A2 also pinned and welded.
1AD11407-E82B-4841-9BF1-A5D27038CB9F.jpeg
small detail, but which is more legit?
Or do I say screw it and pin and weld a Silencerco ASR device so I can run my Supressor?
636DF70C-A3C3-4A6A-973C-4959448AC8CA.jpeg
Or?
I want to make it as authentic as legally possible. Which also means saving up for an ACOG.

SBR it. Or extended flash hider.
SBR is the other choice. But if I were to do an SBR, I'd go with the 11.5"...
I saw a Yoottoob vid of a m4wannabe "expert" say that the KAC spacer with a standard A2 was the correct way to make an authentic M4...

Here's The Question:

AR/M4 aside... when building a mil correct replica of any type
what's better?....
adding a part that's not on Mil version in order to legally use the spec part...
or replacing a spec part with a slightly modified version. Already doing that in the FCG but the former isn't an option there.

I don't remember the exact brand flash hiders, but I think it was ether AAC or Surefire that were used, and they are long enough to make you legal, or close enough with a spacer, then you have the correct muzzle device and can run your suppressor and still be legit! That's the way I would roll!:D
Or sell the barrel to Tully so you don't feel bad about modifying a darn nice factory COLT barrel, and both be happy with the M-Forgery!:) but that's just me! Agreed with Medic! And Bobo, gotta move on to a bigger baddy and do up a FAL or a BM-59, you never look at an AR the same after you build one of these!:D:p

You could, and that would be cool too! How about a really rare one like a STG 44 or 45? Or a FN 49? Or a Walther 2000 in the correct 7mm mag? Plenty of really cool options out side the AR to explore!

Or a PTR-91. Since I ordered a second Hensoldt (first one has stripped threads I need to repair with form-a-thread loctite) I might be able to save one for a PTR-91.

But I'd be using the FAL to collect reloadable brass, PTR-91 to shoot cheap steel ammo with friends.

Y'all are peer pressin' me hard hereo_O
You really want me to go broke? I could never quit ARs... I'm too invested in reloading 556 and 300 bo and have so much left to do with them. Believe me, I would love to move on to other builds, and I plan to, but I gotta work through all the vARiants that interest me. I'm an opertunistic hunter/gatherer, and am on the prowl for deals all the time... BM59s, FALs, and the other big daddy battle rifles are definitly not off the menu, but I never see them in classifieds at a price that I can pounce on.

So @Ura-Ki and @Boboclown....
If I were to listen to you :s0008:
And sold my Barrel and RAS, I'm looking at maybe 4bills there, plus a few hundred more to add to the pot. What would that get me as far as BM59 or FAL.
I missed the opertunity to buy a fal with a heavy barrel, wood furniture and a carry handle(what ever model that is) last month, I could have got it for $850, but I don't know enough about them to confidently spend a bunch of money.
ARs on the other hand I know exactly what to look for, and what to pay.

If you do a build from a kit, a upper receiver will set you back between $350-450, and then if you need a barrel, there's another $150 on up, depending on what you want, currently, the Israeli HB are fetching $450+, but a standard Belgian pattern is the least expensive. All told, if you get a good kit and shop around, you should be about a grand into a build. You can also buy an Enterprise, or a DSA for around that, and not have to build it! They are about as easy to build as an AR, but take time to set up properly. Most guys have issues torquing the barrels and getting the timing right, and the gas block front sight to line up with a properly centered rear, it's not hard, but takes time! There are some really good videos on the tuby that show the correct way, including checking and setting head space! The BM kits are more expensive, but the receiver is a lot cheaper, it ends up about the same cost to build, but takes more finish work! It all comes down to what you want, there are hundreds of variables to the FAL, and they are fun to build and a hoot to shoot!:)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top