JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
51734301-43F9-492C-8C63-9A50B1F081E7.jpeg

PSA 10.5 ar pistol and surplus green tip ammo. I just noticed today that I'm getting light primer strikes when chambering a round. I know the free floating fire pin will do this but I'm worried about a slam fire / accidental discharge. Am I over thinking this and shouldn't worry or should I take the firearm to a smith and have them look at and correct the issue?

The factory will spec a primer for their particular run of ammo.

And BTW....do you know about "Military Primers" (like the CCI #41) and what CCI says about the "problem"?

CCI® No. 34 and No. 41 MILITARY RIFLE PRIMERS
Military-style semi-auto rifles seldom have firing pin retraction springs. If care is not used in assembling ammunition, a "slam-fire" can occur before the bolt locks. The military arsenals accomplish this using different techniques and components—including different primer sensitivity specifications—from their commercial counterparts. CCI makes rifle primers for commercial sale that matches military sensitivity specs that reduce the chance of a slam-fire when other factors go out of control*. If you're reloading for a military semi-auto, look to CCI Military primers.
*Effective slam-fire prevention requires more than special primers. Headspace, chamber condition, firing pin shape and protrusion, bolt velocity, cartridge case condition, and other factors can affect slam-fire potential.

Bottom line: IF IT WERE ME......I wouldn't worry about it at this stage.

Aloha, Mark

Very concerning.

For your safety ship all your ammo to me at, 123 any ware usa, for testing and evaluation. :s0062:
Sorry, I was just hoping for some clarification....
Is this Anyware USA, or Anywear, USA? Anywho, I just wanted to make sure before I shipped it off to anywhere else. Anyways, thanks for the reply!

Its normal, but I had a gunsmith tell me once his friend had a slamfire with his AR.

The risk is virtually none. Virtually. But it is a reminder the 4 rules always apply. I simply bought some dummy rounds to test cycling/function at home.

Even an AR rifle makes a small dent on the primer. if don't fire the round I eject the round and put it my range bag and my next range trip. I never reload a chambered round again unless there is SHTF scenario.

Ah yes, I remember when I discovered the same thing. I was panicking a bit. So I hopped on YouTube and discovered that it was normal for that to happen.

Now days, when I chamber one in, I point the muzzle at a safe direction just to be more safe. Personally, if I chambered the same round multiple times, after a while I'd get rid of that round.... just to be on the safe side....again.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top