Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

AR pistol, what kind of rear sight?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by ZA_Survivalist, Apr 26, 2016.

1. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Hey guys, I recently picked up an AR pistol. One of my many pre 2017 ban purchases. While Im not fear mongering Im quite sure firearms will be a big issue here soon so Im crossing a few off the list just in case. Though Im an AK guy, Im a firearm fanatic and just have to have 1-3 of everything. Well aside from a faux dissipator AR I can now cross an AR pistol off the list and the AR list is almost complete.

Anyhow that brings me to my AR pistol question for you guys,
    This is a range toy, maybe a backpacking pistol since it breaks down quite well.

Im torn on what rear sight set up I want. As seen with the poll Im circling around the fixed rear sight.. Something like an A2 carry handle, or perhaps some other fixed rear sight. Im not a huge fan of folding sights, but Im sure they've came a long way since the first gen of magpul flip sights and perhaps you have a reason why a fixed rear sight would be better? Just looking for ideas here, well more like inspiration really.

Currently Im keeping this pistol as simple as possible, but I did have a spare Millet SP red dot laying around and a cowitness mount.. It feels pretty snazzy on there so Im heavily leaning towards just a fixed rear sight or folding rear sight but I do like the look of that A2 carry handle.

Anyone have any preferences?
    This pistol does have a fixed front sight by the way. :D

Ura-Ki and etrain16 like this.
  2. Reno911

Reno911 Hillsboro Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Daniel defense fixed rear sight is my vote.

ZA_Survivalist likes this.
  3. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

A.R.M.S. Swan or their stand alone folding... Solid units.

This

4. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I only have a sparc 2 on my pistol and was even thinking about throwing a laser CT railmaster on there for an aiming device.

Front and rear sights seem kinda pointless.

5. Flopsweat

Flopsweat Slightly right of center Well-Known Member

I have Magpul folding sights on mine and they work great. They take up less space when stowed, and on a pistol you can hit the bolt release, flip both sights up and grip the gun in almost one motion. Well, almost one motion...

6. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I like the Magpul Pro flip sights personally.

7. L84Cabo

L84Cabo Orcas Island, WA Well-Known Member

On an AR pistol where you may not be able to get a good cheek weld (if at all), and/or unable to get proper front sight/rear sight alignment, etc., I can really see the benefits of a red dot sight. Aimpoint T1 would be my preference.

8. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Sub Light Speed Well-Known Member

Call me old school, but I still think a proper AR should have fixed irons and a carry handle! I don't use a detachable handle, but I can see the merits of having that feature. An optic or dot sight can be added to a handle just as easy as a rail, and I like the advantages the fixed irons give! Ultra durability, zero shift, and lots of options to upgrade them if needed. Personally I just add a trit front sight post to mine and call it good! It really comes down to what YOU see this used mainly for, and equipping it to fill those needs the best way YOU see fit!

9. ZA_Survivalist

:D My man.. I too dig the A2 carry handle set up.. It would certainly keep it all real simple and inexpensive.

Dyjital likes this.
  10. Flopsweat

It looks nice on a pistol too.
    100_0114Cropped.jpg

11. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

Told myself a while back the next AR pistol I do would be an A2 rear. I wouldn't blame you if you went that route.

12. sealine

sealine Oregon Well-Known Member

How about an a2 carry handle and cut it down?
    100_1203.jpg

13. ZA_Survivalist

This was my next choice, a fixed rear sight. It'd still allow the use of the cowitness optic without any other rails or mounts.
    I may end up going this route. But that carry handle is such a classic :D

Dyjital likes this.
  14. Pandaz3

Pandaz3 Cornelius, Oregon NRA Lifetime Member Platinum Supporter Gold Supporter Bronze Supporter

I have Midwest Industries front and rear folders, on the Warden's Aero Precision 8.5" Flattop and Diamond head front and rear folders on my Palmetto 8.5 upper. the Midwest are just a little smaller. just center the rear aperture over the rounded 'horns' of the front sight and all you notice is the front sight post neatly aligned and centered. Fast sight alignment, target acquisition almost automatically. The Diamondhead's are taller and more massive than MI's, but even more precise due to the angles. I think the Diamond shaped aperture on the rear might work better with a A2 style front sight.
    I like both MI and Diamondhead and forego others besides Red Dots. A Red Dot on a pistol adds unsupported weight that is normally forward. Makes you use more arm muscle. A Micro Red Dot might work well though.

15. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

A micro dot really shines on a AR pistol, That said I am also a firm believer in the BU part of BUIS. Because on most of my AR's the irons are backups I dont have the aversion you do to folders. The guns I have without any sort of optic I put removable fixed units on.

When it comes down to it really its about what kind of dough you want to spend and what you like. I have the LWRC Skirmish sights on my pistol and really like them but the primary sight is a Holosun micro dot.

Brutus57 and ZA_Survivalist like this.
  16. tarster

tarster Albany Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I used to have a 300blk out ar pistol with the 8.25in barrel and for me, red dot or 1-4x optic was the only way to go.. I may or may not have used the sig arm brace as it was intended............. I also have a hard time using iron sites with any good results, so I tend to the red dots or optics.

17. Kruejl

Kruejl Hillsboro Moderator of the Coriolis effect Staff Member Gold Supporter Silver Supporter

I run a red dot on mine. It's not expensive (UTG) but it works. For fast target acquire and because irons sure close in fast while cheek-wielding.

View attachment 290321

IMG_1462.JPG

Flopsweat likes this.
  18. Flopsweat

That looks nice. What brand is the forend?

19. Kruejl

Kruejl Hillsboro Moderator of the Coriolis effect Staff Member Gold Supporter Silver Supporter

The upper is a 7.5" Radical Firearms keymod. BCG was purchased from Curts (not sure of brand).

Flopsweat likes this.