JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

AR pistol, what kind of rear sight?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reactions
Hey guys, I recently picked up an AR pistol. One of my many pre 2017 ban purchases. While Im not fear mongering Im quite sure firearms will be a big issue here soon so Im crossing a few off the list just in case. Though Im an AK guy, Im a firearm fanatic and just have to have 1-3 of everything. Well aside from a faux dissipator AR I can now cross an AR pistol off the list and the AR list is almost complete.

Anyhow that brings me to my AR pistol question for you guys,
This is a range toy, maybe a backpacking pistol since it breaks down quite well.

Im torn on what rear sight set up I want. As seen with the poll Im circling around the fixed rear sight.. Something like an A2 carry handle, or perhaps some other fixed rear sight. Im not a huge fan of folding sights, but Im sure they've came a long way since the first gen of magpul flip sights and perhaps you have a reason why a fixed rear sight would be better? Just looking for ideas here, well more like inspiration really.

Currently Im keeping this pistol as simple as possible, but I did have a spare Millet SP red dot laying around and a cowitness mount.. It feels pretty snazzy on there so Im heavily leaning towards just a fixed rear sight or folding rear sight but I do like the look of that A2 carry handle.

Anyone have any preferences?
This pistol does have a fixed front sight by the way. :D

A.R.M.S. Swan or their stand alone folding... Solid units.

<broken link removed>

I have Magpul folding sights on mine and they work great. They take up less space when stowed, and on a pistol you can hit the bolt release, flip both sights up and grip the gun in almost one motion. Well, almost one motion...

On an AR pistol where you may not be able to get a good cheek weld (if at all), and/or unable to get proper front sight/rear sight alignment, etc., I can really see the benefits of a red dot sight. Aimpoint T1 would be my preference.

Call me old school, but I still think a proper AR should have fixed irons and a carry handle! I don't use a detachable handle, but I can see the merits of having that feature. An optic or dot sight can be added to a handle just as easy as a rail, and I like the advantages the fixed irons give! Ultra durability, zero shift, and lots of options to upgrade them if needed. Personally I just add a trit front sight post to mine and call it good! It really comes down to what YOU see this used mainly for, and equipping it to fill those needs the best way YOU see fit!

Call me old school, but I still think a proper AR should have fixed irons and a carry handle! I don't use a detachable handle, but I can see the merits of having that feature. An optic or dot sight can be added to a handle just as easy as a rail, and I like the advantages the fixed irons give! Ultra durability, zero shift, and lots of options to upgrade them if needed. Personally I just add a trit front sight post to mine and call it good! It really comes down to what YOU see this used mainly for, and equipping it to fill those needs the best way YOU see fit!
:D My man.. I too dig the A2 carry handle set up.. It would certainly keep it all real simple and inexpensive.

:D My man.. I too dig the A2 carry handle set up.. It would certainly keep it all real simple and inexpensive.
It looks nice on a pistol too.
100_0114Cropped.jpg

Told myself a while back the next AR pistol I do would be an A2 rear. I wouldn't blame you if you went that route.

I have Midwest Industries front and rear folders, on the Warden's Aero Precision 8.5" Flattop and Diamond head front and rear folders on my Palmetto 8.5 upper. the Midwest are just a little smaller. just center the rear aperture over the rounded 'horns' of the front sight and all you notice is the front sight post neatly aligned and centered. Fast sight alignment, target acquisition almost automatically. The Diamondhead's are taller and more massive than MI's, but even more precise due to the angles. I think the Diamond shaped aperture on the rear might work better with a A2 style front sight.
I like both MI and Diamondhead and forego others besides Red Dots. A Red Dot on a pistol adds unsupported weight that is normally forward. Makes you use more arm muscle. A Micro Red Dot might work well though.

A micro dot really shines on a AR pistol, That said I am also a firm believer in the BU part of BUIS. Because on most of my AR's the irons are backups I dont have the aversion you do to folders. The guns I have without any sort of optic I put removable fixed units on.

When it comes down to it really its about what kind of dough you want to spend and what you like. I have the LWRC Skirmish sights on my pistol and really like them but the primary sight is a Holosun micro dot.

I used to have a 300blk out ar pistol with the 8.25in barrel and for me, red dot or 1-4x optic was the only way to go.. I may or may not have used the sig arm brace as it was intended............. I also have a hard time using iron sites with any good results, so I tend to the red dots or optics.

I run a red dot on mine. It's not expensive (UTG) but it works. For fast target acquire and because irons sure close in fast while cheek-wielding.

IMG_1462.JPG

The upper is a 7.5" Radical Firearms keymod. BCG was purchased from Curts (not sure of brand).

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top