Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

AR Pistol W/Law Tactical folder

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by IronMonster, Dec 11, 2014.

1. IronMonster

IronMonster Washington Opinionated Member Diamond Supporter

Ok, So I admit, Calling this thing a pistol is a little ridiculous. However the ATF has ruled that you can use a Sig brace, you can shoulder it, and use it similar to a rifle stock. This is pushing it to the absolute legal limit, but its 100% legal and good to go.

So what makes this thing so freakin long? A combination of parts. I used the Law Tactical folder which adds 1.375" to LOP. I used a +3 KNK pistol tube and then a Odinworks locking collar.

The upper is a BMC 11.5"/carbine gas system with the 10" KMR and a Noveske pig.

So Length of pull in the picture? 16" which makes a perfect sight picture. For reference LOP on a fixed A2 stock is about 14"

Of course the LOP is totally adjustable too, You just slide the Odinworks lock ring in to where you want and set the stop to suit you.

Im taking it out to shoot for the first time with the folder tomorrow. I'll report back on my findings. pistol1.jpg pistol2.jpg

Sgt Nambu and TacticalDragQueen like this.
  2. Meridian7750

Meridian7750 Portland Area Well-Known Member

Looking forward to your report...
    I'm very interested in the LAW folder.

3. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

How well/ stable os that pivot point? When it's locked out and folded?
    Looks great and the idea of having a longer tube is a great concept

4. IronMonster

Its rock solid. Its a spiffy, well built piece . I see it as an expensive gadget. If you really wanted a compact bag gun this might be the ticket. One of my deciding factors on buying one for the pistol shown was the fact that it added 1 3/8" to the LOP. I wanted to try and made the most shoulder fire-able legal pistol I could and the combination of these products I think nails it. At some point I will probably SBR this and put a real stock on it but honestly I dont think you would gain much in usability

The one major down side that I see is the back of the receiver is not sealed up. Granted there is not a gaping hole for crud to get pounded in but it is a concern.

If this was a survival rifle that my life depended on I dont think I would have the folder, Its just another thing to go wrong that is unnecessary. For a special needs gun, truck gun or range toy It is probably fine.

Its a spendy gadget. I think with shipping it was close to $240. And its construction, fit and finish is top notch. I still keep going back to "simpler is better" for a firearm your going to stake your life on.

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  5. Benny503

Benny503 Grants Pass Well-Known Member

For $240 I would spend 200 to the man so I can get adjustable length and cheaper :)

6. IronMonster

But it still wouldn't fold which is its primary reason for existence. And this actually adjusts more than an adjustable stock.

7. clearconscience

Yeah it serve dual purpose.

I like the idea after building my pistol and test firing it there is a bit of discomfort to the sight view.

Here's mine, but the tube is awkwardly short.
    image.jpg

8. IronMonster

Honestly before the Sig brace came on the scene I thought AR pistols where dumb. I mean I am a AR guy with a whole pile of them but the whole idea of a rifle in pistol form I thought was ridiculous. The combination of a pistol length gas system and the lack of really being able to get any kind of a stable sight picture just make them a toy and not really a fun one at that. (Spray and pray gets old quick)

My whole view has changed though, I now own two. I really prefer the 11.5" with the carbine gas system. Its much more friendly than the 7.5" and I can ding the 200 yard plate about 95% of the time. I have two complete lowers for this upper. One with the folder and the other with the Odinworks pistol tube. Basically if I want the folder I can snap out the take-down pins and slap it on

9. PigNorton91

PigNorton91 Washington Active Member

That looks pretty cool. I am thinking of sticking one of these from Thordsen Customs on my BCM 11.5 Pistol build. I am using a 10inch KMR Rail.

Do you think the law folder would work with this?

330wghy.jpg

10. IronMonster

yeah I think it would, It might not fold flat to the side because of the protruding bit.

11. PigNorton91

PigNorton91 Washington Active Member

Hmm yeah maybe it wouldn't, have you seen the new sig brace?

12. IronMonster

Ive seen pictures only. Have not held one yet. I dont think I'll like it though. I think it would probably work better if you where using it as intended, however I have yet to strap mine on my arm and really have no intention of using it like that.

13. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

My friend built a pistol with the brace and dolos. After he gets the LAW on there, he will put the barrel inside the brace when folded. 10in little package.
    We'll see how it comes out

14. Flopsweat

Flopsweat Slightly right of center Well-Known Member

I have to wonder if Sig would stop selling the SB15 as they say they will unless they're confident that the SBX will sell better. Since they say that the new brace is more rigid, I won't be surprised if it function very well as a wrist brace and maybe happens to work really well in other ways. If it folds like the one in the pictures, I'll bet you can fashion a dust cover for it like the one for the Kel-Tec Sub 2000. http://www.keltecweapons.com/sub-2000/sub-2000-accessories/dust-cover/ It pops off when you unfold the gun, but stays in place very well when it's folded.

15. antiscreed

antiscreed Los Angeles, California Member

I have the gen1 Sig brace and shoulder it a ton. It's absolutely the best answer for me. I'm 6'3", 225, long LOP but I'm liking the LAW folder except the price.

clearconscience likes this.
  16. IronMonster

Well, Took it to the range today. Put about a hundred rounds through her. Wolf .223, PMC 5.56, Some XM193, some M855, even a box of Tula. Every round went bang. No FTF. It functioned just like it did before installing the folder.

I had several other guns to get too so a 100 rds was all the time I could give her but I feel good about it. No tweeking or screwing around, It just went bang.

On a side note, the length of pull is actually TOO long with the Sig brace on your shoulder ! Never thought I would have that problem :) I need to shorten it up at least an inch.

clearconscience likes this.
  17. PBinWA

PBinWA Clark County Well-Known Member

18. clearconscience

So the KAK tube adds a few inches basically a longer tube. Does it take the same spring?
    Longer spring? Or is there a plug in it?

19. IronMonster

I guess I shouldn't bother with even putting words in my posts hu?
    :p

As stated and pictured in the original post. Mine has a KNK +3 pistol buffer tube. And yes it uses a standard carbine buffer spring and yes it has a plug in it.

antiscreed, Flopsweat and mjbskwim like this.
  20. clearconscience

Thanks maybe I need to pay mire attention.
    My wife feels your pain!

Flopsweat likes this.