JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just wondering if anyone here knows what the tecnicalities are that differenciate a ar pistol from a short barrel rifle? From what i've heard for it to be considered a pistol it cant have an official stock on it, which is why they all have buffer tubes correct? And anything under 16" barrel is no longer a full length rifle but other than that im hoping some one here could fill in the blanks. Thanks everyone

One is a pistol, the other is a rifle. One can be shot by holding in a single hand, the other uses a buttstock. I get the feeling that you are trying to figure out a work around for the SBR laws. If you are using the pistol as a rifle(ie. Putting something on the buffer tube to use to put against your shoulder), it is now a rifle. Go to theATF website and read the definitions, but it basically says that if you can use it like a rifle, it's a rifle.

A SBR has a stock, a pistol does not. On the pistol it can not be able to "readily accept a stock". A buffer tube with no easy way to mount a standard stock is just a buffer tube and many places sell "pistol tubes" just for this reason.

Also keep in mind that you have to build a pistol on a receiver that has never been a rifle. IF it has ever had a stock on it then it can not become a pistol.

You pretty much got it with the above posts. Not all AR pistols have buffer tubes. The new Rock River PDS are nice, definatly more money that a basic AR pistol. But not having the buffer tube sure makes it more compact. You can't put a vertical grip on a AR pistol or it becomes a AOW and requires a tax stamp. I didn't read all the way through the link below. But it has some good info in it.

AR Pistol, SBR, AOW

I've always thought it was funny that the AR pistols ARE considered pistols since the buffer tube CAN be used as a stock. The way the law reads is that it can't have a device (a stock) that is "designed" to be fired from the shoulder, but the ATF doesn't regulate HOW a firearm is USED, only how it is configured. That said I have an AR pistol (Mega "PISTOL" marked lower) that I fire from the shoulder all the time.

Long as you don't have a shoulder stock attached, it's good to go. (Not just take off stock from the tube, you need plain smooth tube with no notches.

You pretty much got it with the above posts. Not all AR pistols have buffer tubes. The new Rock River PDS are nice, definatly more money that a basic AR pistol. But not having the buffer tube sure makes it more compact. You can't put a vertical grip on a AR pistol or it becomes a AOW and requires a tax stamp. I didn't read all the way through the link below. But it has some good info in it.

AR Pistol, SBR, AOW

Although this is true, I have seen probably hundreds if not thousands of gun owners with an AR pistol with a vertical front grip, with NO stamp. I have asked dozens of owners. Not that I care but was just wondering....

Although this is true, I have seen probably hundreds if not thousands of gun owners with an AR pistol with a vertical front grip, with NO stamp. I have asked dozens of owners. Not that I care but was just wondering....

You see all kinds of stuff all the time. You see a lot of SBR guns especially in things like the AR where it is so easy to do. People have no clue they are breaking the law. Some will listen, some wont, some will be bubblegums about it.

I always simply and politely ask if they are aware that what they have is an NFA item. If they want to know they will ask and I let them know and most are thankful.

The people that don't want to know or are bubblegums about it, well it is their felinely and $$$ and time and loss of the life they had not mine............

Just wondering if anyone here knows what the tecnicalities are that differenciate a ar pistol from a short barrel rifle? From what i've heard for it to be considered a pistol it cant have an official stock on it, which is why they all have buffer tubes correct? And anything under 16" barrel is no longer a full length rifle but other than that im hoping some one here could fill in the blanks. Thanks everyone

If you look at the Olympic Arms model 93, you'll see that "They" don't all have buffer tubes.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top