JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Assuming u are not going to mess with tax stamps, If it's originally manufactured as a pistol it's a pistol. If originally manufactured as a rifle it's a rifle. A pistol u can't do things that make it a two handed weapon in atf's eyes (Fe no stock, no verticle grip). If it's a rifle you can't do things such as less than 16" barrel, overall length less 26".

If you buy the undefined lower you can build it's as a pistol or a rifle. I don't know how you officially designate it as one or the other once u manufacture it. Maybe someone here can chime in on that.

if you are thinking 223/556, check the velocity/energy first to see if shorter barrel is enough for you compared to a rifle. The loss is significant, as in 40%ish for real short ones. This impacts the tumble/fragmentation of the round as originally designed, which may or may not be a big deal to you.

re the pistol caliber ones (pcc/pdw) I agree with others above that they r tons of fun and cheap to shoot. Can be very compact also if they don't have a buffer tube. Just depends on what u are looking for. Fe as far as size, the 9mm one below (Stribog) has an 8" barrel and easily fits in laptop bag etc at 14.75" overall length (with brace folded) and thin.
2AF1C103-1E33-42BC-A106-01340E23E20E.jpeg 379BCC73-98AF-4247-BAB2-9CBF5F817EE5.jpeg
Check page 3 of this thread for more short 556 options (including bufferless ones and bullpups).

Last Edited:
Assuming u are not going to mess with tax stamps, If it's originally manufactured as a pistol it's a pistol. If originally manufactured as a rifle it's a rifle. A pistol u can't do things that make it a two handed weapon in atf's eyes (Fe no stock, no verticle grip). If it's a rifle you can't do things such as less than 16" barrel, overall length less 26".

If you buy the lower you can build it's as a pistol or a rifle. I don't know how you officially designate it as one or the other once u manufacture it. Maybe someone here can chime in on that.

if you are thinking 223/556, check the velocity/energy first to see if shorter barrel is enough for you compared to a rifle. The loss is significant, as in 40%ish for real short ones. This impacts the tumble/fragmentation of the round as originally designed, which may or may not be a big deal to you.

re the pistol caliber ones (pcc/pdw) I agree with others above that they r tons of fun and cheap to shoot. Can be very compact also if they don't have a buffer tube. Just depends on what u are looking for. Fe as far as size, the 9mm one below (Stribog) has an 8" barrel and easily fits in laptop bag etc at 14.75" overall length (with brace folded) and thin.
View attachment 713590View attachment 713591
Check page 3 of this thread for more short 556 options (including bufferless ones and bullpups).
My understanding is that you can convert a pistol to a rifle but not vice versa unless the firearm was originally a pistol. And of course, be sure not to accidentally create an SBR in the middle of all that.

Definitely take this advice. I only shoot at indoor ranges, and an AR pistol sounds like a stick of dynamite going off every time the trigger is pulled. The noise convinced me to get my AR pistol in 9mm instead of 223/5.56.

I only shoot outdoor and I find the noise to be fine, you get used to it, I wear the howard leight sport muffs and it's ok. Shooting indoor in general sucks, I can understand how shooting the AR pistol indoors would be less than desirable.

ATF also looks at sights/optics. If your "pistol" wears an optic generally found on a rifle, e.g., 3-9 or the like, especially if it's combined with other accessories found on a rifle, such as a pistol grip, it can be considered an SBR. ATF looks at the entire package.

ATF also looks at sights/optics. If your "pistol" wears an optic generally found on a rifle, e.g., 3-9 or the like, especially if it's combined with other accessories found on a rifle, such as a pistol grip, it can be considered an SBR. ATF looks at the entire package.

So in other words, they make it up as they go along. :rolleyes:

So in other words, they make it up as they go along. :rolleyes:

It often seems that way. Being in firearm manufacturing, I frequently discuss these issues with ATF to stay legal. In this instance I can understand their position, especially with pistols chambered for rifle cartridges. Many folks like to push things to the limit, including manufacturers. I believe any regulation is a infringement on 2A, but until the rules change, and you want an SBR, get a stamp.

Those bench rest pistol shooters best keep an eye out than!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top