JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Not sure which section to throw this in (Sorry mods)

My questioning is this.

I plan to buy a set up from PSA using a SB braced stock and a upper of at least 8.5" barrel.

I hear that going under 10" makes 5.56 suffer but I am honestly not looking for long range engagement but more of a bugout build that'll at least hit consistently at 150 meters between irons/optic.

What I am asking is basically how reliable is a 8.5" barrel and a 5.56 generally going to perform? I know they are louder from what I hear but I am wondering if its that drastic of a drop off for the platform considering I plan to keep it mostly as close to semi intermediate build anyway intentionally.

Example of my rough build idea:
upper: PSA 8.5" Pistol-length 5.56 NATO 1/7 Nitride 7" Lightweight M-Lok Upper w/o BCG or CH - 516447044
lower: PSA AR15 Complete MOE EPT SBA3 Lower - 5165448150

Any suggestions on a A5 buffer?

Whats wrong with the stock one? Will it affect performance or operation if i do not?

Thanks

A5 is basically a Rifle spring and longer buffer in a CAR tube, with the weights springloaded for less bounce. Tons of technical data over at M4Carbine.net, they're a HUGE reliability improvement on shorties. BCM usually ships their kits with an A5H0 buffer, Vltor themselves usually use A5H2. In your case, this is purely pulling a guess out of my arse since I'm not an expert, were I building an 8.5" I would probably go no lighter than A5H3 or A5H4.

Alternatively, you might look at Geissele's Super 42 system--it's Carbine length spring, but braided wire similar to the German MG42. Definitely, you should look into joining M4C--while our tech guru Iraqgunz just got called up to run St. Peter's armory upstairs, you won't find a better body of technical experts on the AR platform, particularly the M4 and shorter variants, anywhere.

Ok so you mostly mean the buffer and the spring set then.

I'll see if I can dig one up on PSA. Thanks for the info!

A5 is basically a Rifle spring and longer buffer in a CAR tube, with the weights springloaded for less bounce. Tons of technical data over at M4Carbine.net, they're a HUGE reliability improvement on shorties. BCM usually ships their kits with an A5H0 buffer, Vltor themselves usually use A5H2. In your case, this is purely pulling a guess out of my arse since I'm not an expert, were I building an 8.5" I would probably go no lighter than A5H3 or A5H4.

Alternatively, you might look at Geissele's Super 42 system--it's Carbine length spring, but braided wire similar to the German MG42. Definitely, you should look into joining M4C--while our tech guru Iraqgunz just got called up to run St. Peter's armory upstairs, you won't find a better body of technical experts on the AR platform, particularly the M4 and shorter variants, anywhere.

This the one you are referring to?

Um, one thing I didn't get out: A5 buffer and tube are 3/4" longer--it basically combines Rifle length with Carbine telestock capability. Original intent was for the aborted M16A5 program; instead they just combined CAR telestocks with the H6 superheavy buffer as a "Short Operator Retrofit" for the M16A4.

PSA doesn't sell A5 systems last I knew... and whatever you do, DON'T mention Palmetto over at M4C. :) Fallback, you might check OpticsPlanet.

But yeah, that's the Super 42 system--Arms Unlimited out of Vegas has an off-brand clone that's more budget friendly.

Ok I think i'll go with that super 42 for my build then.

Any suggestion on a BCG? I had a nickle boron one but it just sold out. Or would any basic BCG do the trick in a shorty?

I have a 7.5" AR pistol. Only time I had an issue was with a lower that had a PDQ. The PDQ was a ambi bolt hold open but it was too heavy and I had issues with the BCG not locking back after last round. I replaced the bolt hold open with a regular ping pong paddle one and that solved my issue.

I have a better lower for my pistol now and I haven't had any issues with the new setup. I've shot wolf steel, brass .223 and 5.56 out of my AR pistol without any malfunctions.

I am running a Colt H3 buffer and I'm ejecting my casings at about the 3 o'clock position.

I have a stag bolt carrier and a sharps reliabolt (bolt) .

My previous AR pistol was a 10.5" and I ran a Spikes tactical T-2 buffer. Can't recall the ejection pattern but it ran just fine.

Go 11.5".... both of these have standard carbine guts (with KNS pin retainers) and haven't missed a beat a single time. ;)

7D408183-E858-4594-BF49-090A4D9BE911.jpeg

Go 11.5".... both of these have standard carbine guts (with KNS pin retainers) and haven't missed a beat a single time. ;)

View attachment 623174

IMO anything under 11.5" is too short for 5.56 and is .300 BO territory. My personal fav is a BCM 12.5" KINO, which has carbine gas system with a standard sight at the mid-length position (think mini dissipator), that gives you adequate 5.56 performance, longer sight radius, more real estate to grab hold of and a greater dwell time, while still short enough add a suppressor and not be cumbersome.

That said, if I going to build myself a dedicated suppressed pistol or SBR I'd build it around a SIONICS 11.5" reduced gas port barrel.

Last Edited:
My two 11.5" are plenty within my accuracy expectations out to 400+
Recently I got the urge and built a 7.5", based on this barrel.

I Agree with above post about 300 BO territory/better fit for that barrel length. Kinda gets away from the strength of that round when using shorter barrel lengths imo. ECFA0402-F2FD-40DF-BEB6-0329511B409B.png

Is the real issue not reliability but velocity? Under a 10.5 inch barrel the 5.56 doesn't reach enough speed to fragment as designed. My theory. Easily debunked.

I think below that for 5.56 there are other rounds that performs better like 300 BO.

Firing 556 of a 7.5" barrel will penetrate the door of a 60's Chevy truck, and break the glass @ 300+ yds.
Not that I'd ever make the choice to carry one for life dependence at that distance, but @ 100/200/300, aim for the adams apple ;)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top