JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just built an AR pistol for my wife and she would like a vertical foregrip on it. I thought I read somewhere that a vertical foregrip on a pistol is illegal. I tried looking for it again but I could not find it or missed it. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

2dognite

26" oal is what you need to be legal to have a forward vertical grip on a "pistol".....parentheses because once 26" is obtained then the pistol is now classed as a "firearm" in the eyes of the Feds.
"Firearms" have no rules against vert grips
To have 26" you need to measure from the last permanent spot on the muzzle end, not flash hider unless welded and pinned, to the end of the buffer tube , not the brace or whatever your flying on your pistol
A 10.5" barrel and a KAK super sig brace or A2 buffer tube will get you 26"

I believe if you put a fore grip on a pistol it is an AOW (any other weapon) and if you make your pistol a rifle with a 10.5 inch barrel you have a short barreled rifle which requires a tax stamp. I would suggest you go to the BAFTE website for information or contact them.

I believe if you put a fore grip on a pistol it is an AOW (any other weapon) and if you make your pistol a rifle with a 10.5 inch barrel you have a short barreled rifle which requires a tax stamp. I would suggest you go to the BAFTE website for information or contact them.

As explained earlier, its legal to put a foregrip on an AR pistol that's at least 26 OAL. Once you add a vertical foregrip the ATF doesn't consider it an AOW or pistol. They consider it a "firearm."

This is what I found on ATF website for AOW

Thanks for all of the replies.
2dognite

image.png

<broken link removed> .

Does no one remember that Thompson pistol with a vertical foregrip? The ATF didn't consider it a handgun, they considered it a "firearm." Thus the vertical foregrip was legal, and is legal. 26 OAL and good to go. Otherwise $200 tax stamp, or sending it to a person licensed to manufacture NFA items and a $5 transfer fee after they add the foregrip. Per this letter at least.

Get an AFG if you are concerned about it.

A AR pistols question in the 'Rifle Discussion' forum, hmm, nice shooting. :s0037:
Get an AFG if you are concerned about it.

A AR pistols question in the 'Rifle Discussion' forum, hmm, nice shooting. :s0037:

You replied to this post and edited it. You must not be shooting straight either.:D

Last Edited:
I went to the BATFE website and found the letter about this. I never knew there were rifles, pistols and firearms.
it is simply too much to keep track of sometimes.....gun boards help if you talk to the right people ......they can be the most harmful thing if you listen to just anyone.

technically its a firearm first, that's why you can add the grip
yeah it fits under any topic here at NorthwestFIREARMS

Its a pistol. Once you add a vertical foregrip it becomes a firearm if its 26 OAL. That's why you can add a foregrip. Not because it wasn't a pistol to begin with (it was one to begin with).

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top