JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I set up a 10.5" AR pistol recently (5.56/.223) as an 80% build (this is not my first 80%), with a factory upper and upon testing it, I got about 20 rounds through it before I started getting light primer strikes (light enough to see a faint mark, but not strong enough to even hear any click of the trigger/hammer) with every round the gun would chamber. It shoots the first shot that I manually chamber with the charging handle or bolt release, but every subsequent shot has the aforementioned issue. Here are the things I've tried:
- Complete de-lubing and light lubing.
- Different BCG.
- Holding the bolt catch release down while shooting (this was an issue on a previous build that necessitated the slight filing-down of the catch).
- Using the forward-assist button.
- Different types of ammo.
^^^All of these have had ZERO effect on the issue in question. Again, if I manually cycle the BCG, that round will fire without issue. So, overall, when it cycles, it will successfully load a new round and eject the old one, but the new chambered round will receive a light primer strike and will not be set off.

Has anyone encountered a similar issue? From those I've talked with already it sounds like either a hammer/hammer spring issue or a gas issue. How do I go about troubleshooting this more?

The failure is obvious.. The hammer isn't hitting the primer hard enough, if it's the spring.

Remove a bullet from a primed case, chamber it. Close the bolt by hand and use the forward assist if it has one to help close the bolt all the way. Pull the trigger.

I'm with Velzey. A spring problem should be ruled out.

Three coil 3.5lb spring? Or four coil 5lb spring?
Is the spring installed correctly?

Edit: Also It may help to go read the ''Dent on primer'' thread in this same section.

Last Edited:
When you pull the trigger but it doesn't fire. Use the forward assist to see if you can move the carrier forward slightly. In other words find out if the bolt carrier is all the way into battery?

Also what kind of buffer spring?
Titanium firing pin?

Nah nah nah...

You all are wrong.;););););););) Ease up, don't get mad.

Floating firing pin. You know what that does...

Then how about the gas block and barrel not aligned properly now. ???

Seriously, that's what it sounds like to me.

I'm sure I'm missing some key piece of evidence that's keeping me from agreeing with you guys. Read the OP five times and that's what it sounds like is happening.

See:
https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/dent-on-primer.180276/

If the primer has a small mark then it should be going into battery.
You said there is no click when you pull the trigger?

That sounds like the trigger is not resetting?

So. With the gun made safe. And the hammer dropped. Pull and hold the trigger.
Use the charging handle to pull the carrier back and supposedly cock the hammer.
All the time holding back the trigger.
Let the bolt go forward. When the bolt is forward back in battery. Let off the trigger.
You should hear an audible click.
Then pull the trigger. You should here the hammer fall.

Do this five or so times to make sure the hammer catches wile the trigger is pulled.
Just as it would have to do when you shoot your second or subsequent shots.

When you pull the trigger but it doesn't fire. Use the forward assist to see if you can move the carrier forward slightly. In other words find out if the bolt carrier is all the way into battery?

Also what kind of buffer spring?
Titanium firing pin?

I tried the forward assist, nothing.

I also tried a different BCG, the one from my carbine that I know is functioning, again, the same issue.

Pistol buffer spring, if that's what you're getting at?

If the primer has a small mark then it should be going into battery.
You said there is no click when you pull the trigger?

That sounds like the trigger is not resetting?

So. With the gun made safe. And the hammer dropped. Pull and hold the trigger.
Use the charging handle to pull the carrier back and supposedly cock the hammer.
All the time holding back the trigger.
Let the bolt go forward. When the bolt is forward back in battery. Let off the trigger.
You should hear an audible click.
Then pull the trigger. You should here the hammer fall.

Do this five or so times to make sure the hammer catches wile the trigger is pulled.
Just as it would have to do when you shoot your second or subsequent shots.

Interesting, something is off, get this: I did exactly what you said and when I let off the trigger... nothing, however then I grabbed the trigger and pushed it forward slightly then I heard the click! So what does this sound like to you? The trigger position is off or something shifted? This was an experimental build for me with a cheap plastic lower that I was given and "finished" with a Dremel. So maybe something is screwed up or needs modding. Thoughts?

Great test by the way, we've definitely isolated where the issue is.

Look down on your trigger group with the upper off the gun.
Cock the hammer with your thumb wile holding the trigger. Then let off the trigger and see if the disconector lets go of the hammer and hands contron over to the trigger sear?
It sounds like the hook on the disconector is not letting go of the hammer when you let go of the trigger.

Easiest thing? A bad trigger disconector. Or some smoothing.

Or the pin holes not drilled in the wright place?
I.E. Bad trigger geometry.

If it was a trigger/hammer sear not catching when the disconector handed the hammer off to the trigger sear. You would hear the hammer drop when you let off the trigger in my earlier test.

Last Edited:
Look down on your trigger group with the upper off the gun.
Cock the hammer with your thumb wile holding the trigger. Then let off and see if the disconector lets go off the hammer and hands contron over to the trigger sear?
It sounds like the hook on the disconector is not letting go of the hammer when you let go of the trigger.

Easiest thing? A bad trigger disconector. Or some smoothing.

Or the pin holes not drilled in the wright place?
I.E. Bad trigger geometry.

If it was a trigger/hammer sear not catching when the disconector handed the hammer off to the trigger sear. You would hear the trigger drop when you let off the trigger in my test.

I feel confident in the drill holes.

How do I check the disconnector?

So you're saying that it isn't the trigger/hammer sear not catching, so that's ok?

Just watching this thread as a lurker and novice AR builder. So, as I'm hoping to learn from others, how about some photos showing some of the stuff being discussed???

:s0122:

;)

It's in the post you quoted.

The part right after ''Look down on your trigger group with the upper off your gun''.

It may not have been there when you first read it. I went back and edited it. :D

Yup, that wasn't there. I'll check once I'm done watching Obama's town hall nonsense. It's a disaster for him btw.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top