JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Every week I wind up liking a new gun hahahaha this week I been thinking about an AR pistol build. I have been thinking about one on and off for a year, I think I would like to build one because to just buy one that is already built is way to expensive for my budget. Not crazy about the .223 ammo prices but it would be my SHTF gun since .223/5.56 is NATO and maybe the easiest round to find in the SHTF scenario, and honestly I wouldn't shoot it much when I go shooting (expensive ammo prices) anyways...

So if you would, let me know anything and everything you know about building one, what parts to use and what parts to stay away from.

I like to have something nice and basic, not looking for a WASR version of an AR pistol. One guy had replied to a thread on NWFA about how he spent about $540 on his project AR pistol build. I thought about the AK pistols but I already have an AK rifle and would love to have an AR..... thanks fellas :cool:

Every week I wind up liking a new gun hahahaha this week I been thinking about an AR pistol build. I have been thinking about one on and off for a year, I think I would like to build one because to just buy one that is already built is way to expensive for my budget. Not crazy about the .223 ammo prices but it would be my SHTF gun since .223/5.56 is NATO and maybe the easiest round to find in the SHTF scenario, and honestly I wouldn't shoot it much when I go shooting (expensive ammo prices) nyways...

So if you would, let me know anything and everything you know about building one, what parts to use and what parts to stay away from.

I like to have something nice and basic, not looking for a WASR version of an AR pistol. One guy had replied to a thread on NWFA about how he spent about $540 on his project AR pistol build. I thought about the AK pistols but I already have an AK rifle and would love to have an AR..... thanks fellas :cool:

+1 i also would love some insight on this from the AR15 jedi's on here.
thinking about a .223 or 9mm build myself. :s0155:

I have one in the works now,but it will be a dedicated .22 RF to be used with a can.
Have several AR's of various configurations,so i wanted something different this time.
By the time i am done,won't have more than 350.00 into it,but i do already have the .22 conversion and several mags which i use in my carbines for trigger time so if you add those in on a new build build around 550.00 would be accurate.
As for parts to use/stay away from,not really much different than any other build. I like to shop around since not in a hurry,i save money that way and come across good deals on used parts quite often.
Lowers can be had for less than 100.00,stripped uppers are on sale all the time for 45-50.00,LPK's can be had for 50.00,FA and DC can be found for pretty much nothing if you find someone selling off spare parts,even new they are fairly cheap. Barrels,lots of choices but mine is from an M16 cut down to 7.5" and rethreaded,no gas port needed since it is a RF.
FF hand guards for pistols are over priced,buy a carbine or rifle length for cheap and cut it down to the size you want. FH's cheap and ready avail.
BCG for the .223,can be had for very reasonable prices,i see them on here quite often. Gas blocks,use a stocker and cut it down with a grinder/dremel.
Anyway,those are just some ideas.

After thought,make sure your lower is for a pistol,or a stripped lower. Don't use a one that came as a rifle.

Here it is in the planning stage:

RK

Indeed..... nice post. So if any of you guys don't mind providing a list of needed parts (everything, upper, lower, etc.) to make a .223 pistol I would greatly appreciate it.

Indeed..... nice post. So if any of you guys don't mind providing a list of needed parts (everything, upper, lower, etc.) to make a .223 pistol I would greatly appreciate it.

I believe my post has most everything other than the gas block/tube,and the buffer tube assem you will need for a pistol.

Other than a lower receiver,these kits should have everything you need.

Model 1 Sales: M16 Pistol Kits

Or you can go here for a similar package :
<broken link removed>

Or for the cheaper 5.45X39 ammo,you can build one of these :
http://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=244

WoW so I guess according to model1sales.com I can get an upper in 5.45 ( what I really want) and from what I understand the regular pistol lower would work with it and I can just get the 5.45 AR style mags and be set? I mean the lower will work with .223 and 5.45 or other calibers right ? as long as I use the right mag with the right ammo that is(I know you have to use a magwell conversion block if I went 9mm. Not worried about .22lr conversions). Oooooooh i'm so excited hahahaha :woot:

Before this year, I generally disliked the entire AR platform on sight (save my soft spot for AR-7's) , preferring my guns with wood stocks.

This year I saw/desired my first Carbon-15, but I hate the tube coming off the back. The PLR-16 is a cheap .223 thrower, but I have this odd urge to take it a step higher in caliber.

Carbon 15 in .308 perhaps? ^^ but (insert noob question here) can I get one without the damn (spring tube?) projection off the back end?

Yeah I have thought about getting a PLR-16 too but the tube coming off the back (I forget the technical name for it lol) is what makes me rally want to get an AR pistol because I got something to rest my cheek onto and make it more stable. No doubt it isn't gonna be like shooting a rifle but I am sure I can make it work for me and that is why I really want an AR. I am a very visual person and just the looks of an AR pistol is enough to make me wanna change my undies hahahahahahah and building one and shooting it and saying YEAH I BUILT IT is just a high I am waiting to experience.:D

I built mine for about $850 using all new parts, some that others bought then ended up not needing. The budget busters were $169 out the door for the "Pistol" marked lower, which I wanted because I was questioned about whether or not my last one was a "Pistol" at the range I go to, while shooting in the pistol pits. I forgot about the fore end until I had everything else and got impatient and ended up buying that for $200 locally when the same model can be had online for $97, OUCH! I have three lowers coming in at $46 each (from a GB), so I could have saved over $200 with just those 2 differences. The buffer tube is good for resting your cheek, but the end really "punches" your shoulder after awhile.
DSC01495.jpg

Huh, I never thought .223/5.56 was expensive. AE XM193 is brass cased and around $150/500rds or so if you buy in bulk. At bi-mart you can get the 200rd bricks for around $70-80. Steel cased is even cheaper.

Huh, I never thought .223/5.56 was expensive. AE XM193 is brass cased and around $150/500rds or so if you buy in bulk. At bi-mart you can get the 200rd bricks for around $70-80. Steel cased is even cheaper.

That is not as bad as I thought I guess, but if I went with the 5.45x39 I can get a spam can for $120 and that is 1080 rounds. Yes it is surplus and corrosive but I can also go with silver bear if I didn't wanna run corrosive ammo. It is nice that I could get .223 at bi-mart tho.... I will make up my mind on what caliber once I have all the money to start my build..... but right now I am really leaning towards the 5.45 to be honest...... that way I don't have to buy two different kinds of ammo since my AK-74 is running on 5.45 :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top