JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What length barrel

Votes: 6 16.2%

Votes: 31 83.8%

• Total voters
Reactions
So I've completed my Pistol Lower and curious about barrel length. I'd like to go 7.5 but I'd settle for 10.5 inches. Anyone have any issues with reliability? I'll be running 5.56.

I have 7.5" pistols in both piston and DI as well as DI ones in 10.5 and 11.5"

I prefer the longer ones which both have carbine gas systems. I have not really had reliability issues with the short ones I just find the longer ones more pleasant to shoot the 11.5" being my favorite

Last Edited:
I have found that less than 10.5 is a little more picky with ammo. The first couple I built from scratch I had to play with buffer weight to get them to run right and add an extra heavy duty extractor spring so it would extract correctly.

Not big issues it just taken a little playing around to figure out the combo. All I run any more is 10.5 or longer but prefer the 11.5 but have both.

I feel the 7.5 is cool but you have so much waste of energy and un-burnt power coming out of the short barrel you might as well build a 7.5 in 9mm it would do more damage. At least with the 10.5 you're using a carbines gas system and it will produce some velocity.

This
20151004_105919.jpg
7 inch
16 inch when folded

Also, the shorter the barrel, the louder the bang and the bigger the muzzle flash. While the muzzle flash from a 7.5" barrel with cheap ammo is huge fun, the concussion gets to be a bit much eventually. An 11.5" barrel is much more pleasant to shoot. In any case, I recommend a "low concussion" muzzle break. There are several good ones on the market. They redirect the report and flash forward, making life a lot easier for anyone next to you on the firing line. Speaking of which, if there are others nearby when you're about go hot, you might want to let them know it's going to be reeealy loud when you light that thing off. :) Range etiquette. The concussion is much worse for the person standing beside the shooter than for the shooter him\herself. You probably don't want to be "that guy" who steps up next to the new shooter and turns their world into a Tarantino special effects test.

I have found that less than 10.5 is a little more picky with ammo. The first couple I built from scratch I had to play with buffer weight to get them to run right and add an extra heavy duty extractor spring so it would extract correctly.

Not big issues it just taken a little playing around to figure out the combo. All I run any more is 10.5 or longer but prefer the 11.5 but have both.

I feel the 7.5 is cool but you have so much waste of energy and un-burnt power coming out of the short barrel you might as well build a 7.5 in 9mm it would do more damage. At least with the 10.5 you're using a carbines gas system and it will produce some velocity.

All is true .... but when they run its a BLAST!

MY GAL'S IS 10.5 AND IS ALMOST AS MUCH FUN.

All is true .... but when they run its a BLAST!

MY GAL'S IS 10.5 AND IS ALMOST AS MUCH FUN.

With the 7.5 I cannot argue about the fun factor and yes when they run they usually run well.

It's a hard choice for the first pistol I just prefer a bit longer barrel.

Indeed. I voted 7½" because someone had to and it allows the AR to double as a flare-gun. :s0112:
:s0019:
Tula has this steel cased 223 that runs really dirty, but produces a basket ball sized flash out of a 7.5" barrel. I make sure that I always have some on hand. I've told people (jokingly) that a short AR pistol is the best home defense weapon you can have. Even if you miss, the perp is going to be blind and deaf after one shot. :D I've also called them something like a "flash-bang that also expels a projectile".

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top