JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You will appreciate having a set of these when driving in a roll pin on the side of the receiver.

$10.99 at harbor Freight.

03577_W3.jpg  roll pin.jpg

I prefer Aero Receivers but have never had any issues with Anderson. Their Gen 2 stainless LPKs have also had some of the better feeling stock triggers that I have used.

Personally, I don't recommend Stag anymore. Long before the current rush it still took Stag almost 4 months to ship an in stock gas tube and a few other small parts. After waiting 2 months I ordered the same parts from Palmetto (which isn't known for the quickest shipping) and received them in 10 days.

BKings has been good, but a lot of items are out of stock.

Cerro makes Anderson lower forgings. Colt gets some of their lower forgings from Cerro. The majority of the finishing of the receivers is done with automated equipment, so, it's kind of hard to screw that up. If that lower is good enough for Colt, it will serve you well, just without the logo.

Cerro makes Anderson lower forgings. Colt gets some of their lower forgings from Cerro. The majority of the finishing of the receivers is done with automated equipment, so, it's kind of hard to screw that up. If that lower is good enough for Colt, it will serve you well, just without the logo.

If it is so hard to screw up, then why are so many lower tier lowers, out of spec?

I want to buy a AR 15 parts kit, looks like there are some available from PSA. This will be my first AR build, and I want to get a kit with everything but the lower right now, then save for a good lower reciever. Does anyone have any suggestions for other parts kits that are currently in stock? Thanks everyone!
Here is another company that has Rifle Kits for reasonable price.

This is the type I was thinking of, with everything but the lower. Wondering if any one has used these, or if there is a similar priced higher quality option.

I've used them. After the build I have had absolutely zero problems with them. The ONLY problem i had was one (1) FTF (fail to feed). At that round wouldn't chamber in any of the other rifles we brought.

Who cares if they come from the same forgings, it is the machine work that counts. Anderson quality is known to be hit or miss, same with PSA.
Agreed. The milling work is what set companies a part. Some might batch test smaller quantity vs larger quantity and it's where QA/QC comes into play.

A roll pin starter set comes in handy when you first start driving in the roll pin without deforming the end of the roll pin.
Those Harbor Freight centering punches are great for finishing up drifting the pin into place.
I use a smaller centering punch to drift the pin flush inside the hole, or to drive one out.

1601065411062.png

Make sure you have a nice big clear plastic bag open in front of the lower while you try and get that pesky spring and follower into the front take down pin.

A roll pin starter set comes in handy when you first start driving in the roll pin without deforming the end of the roll pin.
Those Harbor Freight centering punches are great for finishing up drifting the pin into place.
I use a smaller centering punch to drift the pin flush inside the hole, or to drive one out.

View attachment 754455
Harbor freight has some bits that will work as starter punches.

Make sure you have a nice big clear plastic bag open in front of the lower while you try and get that pesky spring and follower into the front take down pin.

I used a 1/4in dia. clevis pin. Worked like a charm on getting that pesky takedown spring and detent installed! Slide the clevis pin into the front of the lower, line up the hole in the pin with the hole in the lower and place the spring and detent through them. Then, use a small punch to push everything into the lower and then slowly withdraw it while simultaneously twisting the punch a 1/4 turn. This captures the spring and detent.

Next, use your AR pivot pin to push out the clevis pin (it acts like a slave pin) be sure to keep steady pressure on the pins as complete the transfer. If done correctly, the spring and detent will be properly captured by the pivot pin. Way easier to do then to explain. ;)

If it is so hard to screw up, then why are so many lower tier lowers, out of spec?

Do you have any examples where an Anderson lower (the stripped lower) was out of spec? Just before Shotgun News went out of business and became Firearm News, they had an article on who built what lowers and the quality thereof. Anderson had the same receiver as mid tier lowers and Anderson receivers were all well within spec. Bear in mind, this applies to the stripped lower. I do see differences in the lower parts kits, but I've read of people getting out of spec parts on CMMG, DPMS and Spikes. Anderson does have questionable parts in the lower (except their rounded trigger works decent if you ever use one of those junk Chiappa lowers in 22 LR (most AR hammers cause those cheap uppers in .22 LR to jam).

Do you have any examples where an Anderson lower (the stripped lower) was out of spec? Just before Shotgun News went out of business and became Firearm News, they had an article on who built what lowers and the quality thereof. Anderson had the same receiver as mid tier lowers and Anderson receivers were all well within spec. Bear in mind, this applies to the stripped lower. I do see differences in the lower parts kits, but I've read of people getting out of spec parts on CMMG, DPMS and Spikes. Anderson does have questionable parts in the lower (except their rounded trigger works decent if you ever use one of those junk Chiappa lowers in 22 LR (most AR hammers cause those cheap uppers in .22 LR to jam).

I have built three Anderson lowers and used two BCM LPK and one Spikes Tactical and they all assembled fine. I only had one issue with the PSA chromed barreled upper on an AR. I had put a Magpul BAD lever on it but wouldn't work correctly. I had to buy single piece Phase5 BAD lever instead instead which works fine now.

I've used Right to bear (waited for the sale on "blem" lowers, which are usually around $45ea)

And (believe it or not) AMT lowers (purchased in multi packs for the discount)

Prices have also gone up about 25% since I purchased mine.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews