AR Parts kits

Reactions
I prefer Aero Receivers but have never had any issues with Anderson. Their Gen 2 stainless LPKs have also had some of the better feeling stock triggers that I have used.

Personally, I don't recommend Stag anymore. Long before the current rush it still took Stag almost 4 months to ship an in stock gas tube and a few other small parts. After waiting 2 months I ordered the same parts from Palmetto (which isn't known for the quickest shipping) and received them in 10 days.

BKings has been good, but a lot of items are out of stock.

Reactions
Cerro makes Anderson lower forgings. Colt gets some of their lower forgings from Cerro. The majority of the finishing of the receivers is done with automated equipment, so, it's kind of hard to screw that up. If that lower is good enough for Colt, it will serve you well, just without the logo.

Reactions
Cerro makes Anderson lower forgings. Colt gets some of their lower forgings from Cerro. The majority of the finishing of the receivers is done with automated equipment, so, it's kind of hard to screw that up. If that lower is good enough for Colt, it will serve you well, just without the logo.
If it is so hard to screw up, then why are so many lower tier lowers, out of spec?

arakboss

Reactions
I want to buy a AR 15 parts kit, looks like there are some available from PSA. This will be my first AR build, and I want to get a kit with everything but the lower right now, then save for a good lower reciever. Does anyone have any suggestions for other parts kits that are currently in stock? Thanks everyone!
Here is another company that has Rifle Kits for reasonable price.

AMT

Reactions

This is the type I was thinking of, with everything but the lower. Wondering if any one has used these, or if there is a similar priced higher quality option.

I've used them. After the build I have had absolutely zero problems with them. The ONLY problem i had was one (1) FTF (fail to feed). At that round wouldn't chamber in any of the other rifles we brought.

jbett98

Reactions
A roll pin starter set comes in handy when you first start driving in the roll pin without deforming the end of the roll pin.
Those Harbor Freight centering punches are great for finishing up drifting the pin into place.
I use a smaller centering punch to drift the pin flush inside the hole, or to drive one out.

1601065411062.png

arakboss

Reactions
A roll pin starter set comes in handy when you first start driving in the roll pin without deforming the end of the roll pin.
Those Harbor Freight centering punches are great for finishing up drifting the pin into place.
I use a smaller centering punch to drift the pin flush inside the hole, or to drive one out.

View attachment 754455
Harbor freight has some bits that will work as starter punches.

Make sure you have a nice big clear plastic bag open in front of the lower while you try and get that pesky spring and follower into the front take down pin.
I used a 1/4in dia. clevis pin. Worked like a charm on getting that pesky takedown spring and detent installed! Slide the clevis pin into the front of the lower, line up the hole in the pin with the hole in the lower and place the spring and detent through them. Then, use a small punch to push everything into the lower and then slowly withdraw it while simultaneously twisting the punch a 1/4 turn. This captures the spring and detent.

Next, use your AR pivot pin to push out the clevis pin (it acts like a slave pin) be sure to keep steady pressure on the pins as complete the transfer. If done correctly, the spring and detent will be properly captured by the pivot pin. Way easier to do then to explain. ;)

Reactions
If it is so hard to screw up, then why are so many lower tier lowers, out of spec?
Do you have any examples where an Anderson lower (the stripped lower) was out of spec? Just before Shotgun News went out of business and became Firearm News, they had an article on who built what lowers and the quality thereof. Anderson had the same receiver as mid tier lowers and Anderson receivers were all well within spec. Bear in mind, this applies to the stripped lower. I do see differences in the lower parts kits, but I've read of people getting out of spec parts on CMMG, DPMS and Spikes. Anderson does have questionable parts in the lower (except their rounded trigger works decent if you ever use one of those junk Chiappa lowers in 22 LR (most AR hammers cause those cheap uppers in .22 LR to jam).

Tony617

Reactions
Do you have any examples where an Anderson lower (the stripped lower) was out of spec? Just before Shotgun News went out of business and became Firearm News, they had an article on who built what lowers and the quality thereof. Anderson had the same receiver as mid tier lowers and Anderson receivers were all well within spec. Bear in mind, this applies to the stripped lower. I do see differences in the lower parts kits, but I've read of people getting out of spec parts on CMMG, DPMS and Spikes. Anderson does have questionable parts in the lower (except their rounded trigger works decent if you ever use one of those junk Chiappa lowers in 22 LR (most AR hammers cause those cheap uppers in .22 LR to jam).

I have built three Anderson lowers and used two BCM LPK and one Spikes Tactical and they all assembled fine. I only had one issue with the PSA chromed barreled upper on an AR. I had put a Magpul BAD lever on it but wouldn’t work correctly. I had to buy single piece Phase5 BAD lever instead instead which works fine now.

AMT

Reactions
I've used Right to bear (waited for the sale on "blem" lowers, which are usually around $45ea)

And (believe it or not) AMT lowers (purchased in multi packs for the discount)

Prices have also gone up about 25% since I purchased mine.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Free Firearms Safety Course (I-1639 Compliant)
Virtual Webinar (Zoom). Registration Link in the course description.
Seattle, WA, USA
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Sportsman's Warehouse - Albany
    5.00 star(s)
    Good products at good prices with friendly and knowledgeable staff!
    We like to visit the Albany location as it's closer but have been to several others and they have all been great!:D
  • Umpqua Survival
    4.00 star(s)
    Easy NFA transfer
    I had a silencer transferred through their shop. The paperwork was quick and the staff helpful and friendly. Whilst waiting, I did see a nice...
  • MK Tactical
    5.00 star(s)
    Awesome staff
    Being new to the area and having just made an online purchase of an AR lower, I opted to use MK Tactical as my FFL, without knowing anything about...
  • J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    Good local shop
    Picked up a rifle yesterday from J&B. This was the second or third gun purchase over the last few years from them. I always enjoy stopping by...
  • H&K Gun Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    The only place I have found 9mm in stock
    I’ll admit I didn’t even know this place existed, as I don’t tend to go into Forest Grove often. But it’s a giant (looks bigger from the...
Top Bottom