JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a couple of thousand rounds down the tube on my sig without a problem. Now of course picking up mags is an exaggeration, and I did not say they all break easily. (notice the winky face next to that line) I even put in there that if they didn't work the US government wouldnt use them. I have owned an AR but I got rid of it as I didnt like the feel of it when shooting. I based my performance rating of the Sig556 on articles I've read, tests that have been performed on them, and my own personal experience. I just prefer it over ARs. To each their own. In no way am I trying to start/contribute to a flame war, just giving my opnion of the rifle and my personal experience with it. Next time
please ask before assuming that ive never shot ARs before.

I would like to say that it is nice to have a discussion without it turning into a flame war.
Thank you for that.

I assumed that you had never owned a ar because your comment about getting some in the future. You know how it is, alot of people bag on something if it's not their preference and I had somewhat thought this was the case as you probaly thought that was the case also. Now, having said that, I have never owned a sig rifle and have not (or will not) bag
on it unless I bought one and had problems with it. Being that it is a sig, I'm sure the realiablity is the same as their pistols.

The op was asking a question and I suggested the ar because of the versatility of it. If the sig had more versatility and more rifles out there than the ar I would have chose that instead. I can understand your preference with another rifle over a ar. H3ll, I prefer ak's over ars so we both have different preferences.

I always laugh when people ACTUALLY take SHTF theory into their consideration of what weapons they should purchase. You will never be on the run, with a bag and a rifle to keep you alive. You will never have to shoot thousands of rounds in a combat situation with your store-bought rifle. America will never be overrun by zombies, ruskies, terrorists, the chinese, or robots. Any semi-automatic 5.56 rifle that you're local gun store is selling, will do exactly what you need it to do, I promise.

Terrorists maybe, gangsters for sure.

I would like to say that it is nice to have a discussion without it turning into a flame war.
Thank you for that.

I assumed that you had never owned a ar because your comment about getting some in the future. You know how it is, alot of people bag on something if it's not their preference and I had somewhat thought this was the case as you probaly thought that was the case also. Now, having said that, I have never owned a sig rifle and have not (or will not) bag
on it unless I bought one and had problems with it. Being that it is a sig, I'm sure the realiablity is the same as their pistols.

The op was asking a question and I suggested the ar because of the versatility of it. If the sig had more versatility and more rifles out there than the ar I would have chose that instead. I can understand your preference with another rifle over a ar. H3ll, I prefer ak's over ars so we both have different preferences.

Its just that it is something different. I didnt want something that everyone and their mom had, plus the reliability of it made it my first choice for my go to rifle. There are enough out there that they have been proven. I would always stick with the gen 2 model as you never buy the first model of something. They improved the charging handle and the quality of the receivers. The AR platform is definitely much more adjustable to each shooters needs with the ability to swap out nearly everything on it. I haven't shot an AK yet and I definitely want to.

I guess my advice to the poster is that you shoot both and choose whichever one is better feeling to you. I prefer the Sig. If both feel fine to you then consider the reliability of each rifle, its features (folding stock and gas piston on sig556, better irons, button placement on the AR) its versatility, customization (i.e. what you plan to put on it/swap out) and the costs associated with it. There is no way for anyone over the internet to tell you what gun YOU will want to get.

I used to own a sig 556 swat classic. It was a good gun, but the folding stock always sticks (the plastic piece that holds the stock to the receiver that is.) I now have a DPMS Recon (not the most expensive gun out there, but it is a very nice tight gun. If you do buy the sig I would still save up and get a good ar. Personally I will wait a few more years until I buy another sig, allowing them to work out the kinks and fully transition from a pistol company to a dual pistol - long gun manufacturer. A gun is a gun is a gun!

I always laugh when people ACTUALLY take SHTF theory into their consideration of what weapons they should purchase. You will never be on the run, with a bag and a rifle to keep you alive. You will never have to shoot thousands of rounds in a combat situation with your store-bought rifle. America will never be overrun by zombies, ruskies, terrorists, the chinese, or robots. Any semi-automatic 5.56 rifle that you're local gun store is selling, will do exactly what you need it to do, I promise.

Sooo,did you purposely leave our own government out of this list?
What about UN troops? (with their sigs)

Golly I wish I had your crystal ball

Start with the AR next. Get the Sig later if you still want one. Can't go wrong with a quality AR. Everyone should have an AK and and AR in the arsenal, everything else is gravy. =)

Sooo,did you purposely leave our own government out of this list?
What about UN troops? (with their sigs)

Golly I wish I had your crystal ball

did I need to add those to the list? I figured the idea of our own government turning on us, or the U.N. INVADING, we're both so ludicrous, they didn't need to be said. I don't care how anti-gov you are, I can tell you as a Gov employee who carries a gun everyday, if the US government we're to ever order such a situation, that citizens felt the need to legally shoot back, all the Gov. employees would quit, and join the rebellion.

did I need to add those to the list? I figured the idea of our own government turning on us, or the U.N. INVADING, we're both so ludicrous, they didn't need to be said. I don't care how anti-gov you are, I can tell you as a Gov employee who carries a gun everyday, if the US government we're to ever order such a situation, that citizens felt the need to legally shoot back, all the Gov. employees would quit, and join the rebellion.

This has been my experience as well.

Haha
My friend told me about a bunch of National Guardsmen in an auditorium,being asked if they would take their neighbors guns
Apparently the answer was NO

Except at the time of the question they weren't under pressure of orders from CO's. Police violates Constitution under orders all the time, and they're not shy about it. I don't believe most Guardsmen would be different.

Except at the time of the question they weren't under pressure of orders from CO's. Police violates Constitution under orders all the time, and they're not shy about it. I don't believe most Guardsmen would be different.

I'll disagree.I think the Guardsmen who are LEOs might do exactly what they are told,but for the most part the NG are citizens like the rest of us and would actually think of their neighbors first.
This ain't the 70 where the only ones against the government were long haired hippies.

I'll disagree.I think the Guardsmen who are LEOs might do exactly what they are told,but for the most part the NG are citizens like the rest of us and would actually think of their neighbors first.
This ain't the 70 where the only ones against the government were long haired hippies.

It's okay to disagree. Just keep in mind that possible consequences for not obeying an order for a LEO are different from such for a service member....

Boy we sure got away from the op's original question. Something about Sig 5.56 or AR I think...Has anyone mentioned that you can buy all kinds of uppers in different cal's for Ar's? All you need is a lower and you're ready for a 9mm, .45, .223, 5.45x39, 7.62x39 6.8, 410 shotgun upper I could go on and on & on. The Sig would be a good rifle to own if you already have an AR, but don't think I would start there.

Has anyone mentioned that you can buy all kinds of uppers in different cal's for Ar's? All you need is a lower and you're ready for a 9mm, .45, .223, 5.45x39, 7.62x39 6.8, 410 shotgun upper I could go on and on & on.

I had thought I had covered that when I said the ar has more versatility but thanks for pointing it out for the ar newbs.

As an LEO I can tell you with a great deal of confidence that in at least Idaho and most western states "most" officer's (not all of course) will not come looking for your guns, to confiscate them. To my knowledge I have never violated any person's constitutional right at any time, either in my own enforcement action, nor under orders.

@swoop that is a great way to think of setting up an AR platform. Several lowers with multiple uppers to fit a wide range of shooting options, scenarios, and training opportunities.

As an LEO I can tell you with a great deal of confidence that in at least Idaho and most western states "most" officer's (not all of course) will not come looking for your guns, to confiscate them. To my knowledge I have never violated any person's constitutional right at any time, either in my own enforcement action, nor under orders.

@swoop that is a great way to think of setting up an AR platform. Several lowers with multiple uppers to fit a wide range of shooting options, scenarios, and training opportunities.

Yeah we did get off topic,BUT I just hope LEOs understand what "confiscating citizen's weapons " means.

And it would be way worst than going into a domestic violence situation.

I bought an AK the other day, but next I want a .223 based rifle. Soooo, what would you personally prefer, and why? The AR would be a basic M4, the Sig, probably the SWAT Classic. I love the looks of an AR, and I'm use to them, but they kinda bore me and everybody has them...the Sig is kinda ugly, and I've never shot one, but I like the folding stock and the piston design. Sig is also more money, which sucks, but another month of saving would pay the difference, or about 1500rds of ammo...

Get a Daewoo DR-200 and convert it to an AR-100 clone.