JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought an AK the other day, but next I want a .223 based rifle. Soooo, what would you personally prefer, and why? The AR would be a basic M4, the Sig, probably the SWAT Classic. I love the looks of an AR, and I'm use to them, but they kinda bore me and everybody has them...the Sig is kinda ugly, and I've never shot one, but I like the folding stock and the piston design. Sig is also more money, which sucks, but another month of saving would pay the difference, or about 1500rds of ammo...

Go with the Ar. The ar has more versatility and parts/ad ons are more common. Plus, in a shtf situation there are more ars out there so if your ar breaks you can get it fixed fairly easy instead on trying to find parts for the sig.

I have several AR's. Love the 550/551 and have shot the real versions of them. Got a 556 when they came out and it is a good gun as said but is not a 550/551. I do see Sig is selling a US version one now though.......

The Sig was a good gun but it never felt right to me being use to an AR. I really wanted to like it but it ended up sitting in the safe so I sold it a while ago. Then Sig came out with the 522 so I though great I will get one. It uses mags I already have and being cheap to shoot I will run it more getting use to it. Again it was another great gun but I always found myself going back to my dedicated .22 AR. I sold my 522 as well.

It is not that they are bad guns by any means, I just cant seem to get use to the controls and feel.

Well, considering I already have one AR, I just recently picked up a Sig 556. The 556 is a little heavier than the AR and the mag release button is a little farther away than the AR(something to get used to) Fortunately, the both take the same mags, so if one goes down, I can pick up the other. Have not shot them as of yet, so can't speak to jamming or accuracy. Just like to have a varied collection.

I bout a Sig 556 2 years ago when Sig had a deal on their website for the 556 series of rifles, I got the 556 classic swat for $1,100.00 after a $400 mail in rebate, before I even was able to pick up the gun @ my local FFL, Sig called me and asked if I would rather have $500 worth of accessories instead. I have only taken it out twice but both times I was impressed at how smooth it shoots and noticeabley less recoil over traditional "gas operated" AR's. I also have bigger hands and appreciate the location of the mag release button, while doing research before I bought it that was the biggest complaint I found among other 556 owners, also the stock feels rather chintzy and is only a 2 position which I do not care for.
I own both, AR's and the 556 and enjoy shooting them both. I suggest you visit your local gun store that has one or both in stock and spend some time handling them side by side, its impossibe to judge a gun accurately from a picture on a website! Unless its a Hi-Point!!!!!!!!

I had the old model Sig 556 w/ the AR15 style retractable stock w/ fish gill forearm and traded it off after about a month. They are very front heavy and the finish on the receiver is very soft and is easily marred. I moved on to a LMT CQB MRP AR15 and have never looked back. If you need a piston gun look at a SCAR, XCR or ACR; I have a new ACR that I picked up recently cheaply and I really like it.

The Sig 556 takes standard AR mags.

That said the Sig 556 is a pale comparison to the Sig 550/551 series weapons. Any one consciously choosing the Sig 556 over a quality AR is smoking some serious crack or just knows no better.

And have you owned one?

I LOVE my Sig556. It is the second generation model so everything was addressed that was wrong with the 1st models. It is the most reliable weapon I own, it will eat anything you give it and ask for more, even if you've abused it, thrown it in the mud etc. I dont worry about finding extra parts in a SHTF scenario because I most likely wont need to. What is nice is that I could pick up mags from broken ARs I find and use em. ;) I am always finding posts about something wrong with an AR and I think to myself: "and thats why I didnt get one". I will probably own a couple ARs in my lifetime and I dont neglect the fact that they are the most common tactical rifle in the US. If they didnt work the US military wouldn't use them.

It may not be the lightest weapon, or the most tacticool with fancy add-ons (that I do not need) but it goes bang EVERY time I pull the trigger. Sigs quality and their customer service is now why I own 3 of their weapons. The same commitment to CS is the reason I bought a Hornady reloading press.

Last Edited:
And have you owned one?

I LOVE my Sig556. It is the second generation model so everything was addressed that was wrong with the 1st models. It is the most reliable weapon I own, it will eat anything you give it and ask for more, even if you've abused it, thrown it in the mud etc. I dont worry about finding extra parts in a SHTF scenario because I most likely wont need to. What is nice is that I could pick up mags from broken ARs I find and use em. ;) I am always finding posts about something wrong with
an AR and I think to myself: "and thats why I didnt get one". I will probably own a couple ARs in my lifetime and I dont neglect the fact that they are the most common tactical rifle in the US. If they didnt work the US military wouldn't use them.

It may not be the lightest weapon, or the most tacticool with fancy add-ons (that I do not need) but it goes bang EVERY time I pull the trigger. Sigs quality and their customer service is now why I own 3 of their weapons. The same
commitment to CS is the reason I bought a Hornady reloading press.

Not wanting to start a flame war in this thread but have you actually used your sig in a real world battle situation? How many rounds have you put through it? You say you wouldn't need any extra parts but without thousands of rounds down the tube in a actual battle situation then it's hard to say.

Your claim of picking up mags from broken ars is a little far fetched for someone that has
never owned one. Yes, ars are a little more finicky than say a ak but by no means does everyone break as easily as you make it sound. The threads that you read about all the "problems" ars have is probably because there are millions of ars made as compared to other rifles.

As far as sigs, I love them and they are my favorite handgun (next to the 1911) but when it comes to rifles, I would feel much better defending my life with a rifle that's been proven.

Again, not starting a flame war just trying to set the record straight.

Not wanting to start a flame war in this thread but have you actually used your sig in a real world battle situation? How many rounds have you put through it? You say you wouldn't need any extra parts but without thousands of rounds down the tube in a actual battle situation then it's hard to say.

I always laugh when people ACTUALLY take SHTF theory into their consideration of what weapons they should purchase. You will never be on the run, with a bag and a rifle to keep you alive. You will never have to shoot thousands of rounds in a combat situation with your store-bought rifle. America will never be overrun by zombies, ruskies, terrorists, the chinese, or robots. Any semi-automatic 5.56 rifle that you're local gun store is selling, will do exactly what you need it to do, I promise.

I have a couple of thousand rounds down the tube on my sig without a problem. Now of course picking up mags is an exaggeration, and I did not say they all break easily. (notice the winky face next to that line) I even put in there that if they didn't work the US government wouldnt use them. I have owned an AR but I got rid of it as I didnt like the feel of it when shooting. I based my performance rating of the Sig556 on articles I've read, tests that have been performed on them, and my own personal experience. I just prefer it over ARs. To each their own. In no way am I trying to start/contribute to a flame war, just giving my opnion of the rifle and my personal experience with it. Next time please ask before assuming that ive never shot ARs before.

I always laugh when people ACTUALLY take SHTF theory into their consideration of what weapons they should purchase. You will never be on the run, with a bag and a rifle to keep you alive. You will never have to shoot thousands of rounds in a combat situation with your store-bought rifle. America will never be overrun by zombies, ruskies, terrorists, the chinese, or robots. Any semi-automatic 5.56 rifle that you're local gun store is selling, will do exactly what you need it to do, I promise.

While you are most likey right people do prepare for the worst. That is our nature.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top