JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As the title says im looking to build either an AR or AK. Please only post up if you actually own either of these two weapons. I have a few questions with each.

AK.
#1 Why do you prefer it
#2 can you use it to hunt or is more of a defense type weapon
#3 What do you have and what all have you done to it and what would you recommend from personal experience i do/not do to it.
#4 what is the average build cost on this frame and how much do you ahve to modify it to make it comfortable to use and also flexible for multiple uses.
#5 how easy will it be to find ammo for this if SHTF and how much does ammo run on average as of now.

I owned and modded a SKS and loved the rifle and the rounds where amazing but im not super stuck on it.

AR.
#1 Why do you prefer it
#2 What is a multiple use caliber and what caliber would you recommend i build
#3 What do you have and what all have you done to it and what would you recommend from personal experience i do/not do to it.
#4 what is the average build cost on this frame and how much do you have to modify it to make it comfortable to use and also flexible for multiple uses.
#5 how easy will it be to find ammo for this if SHTF and how much does ammo run on average as of now.

Basically im looking for a SHTF type gun that is flexible that i can use to take down up to deer size animals and still use for self defense. I also dont want to have to have a support crew to keep it clean or have to worry about it getting dirty and not working when i need it.
These are just two of the platforms im looking at but i am open to any other ideas you guys have and i know there are alot of options out there so if you could just tell me what you have and such that would be great.

Matt

This question has been beaten to death. A quick internet search and you'll find thousands of people who have already asked this same question for the same reasons. Bottom line, there is no "best", either are good.

And since you're in Bonney Lake, ask yourself, which gun do you see more of at your local gun show? That answer is an AR15. In regards to "finding ammo" you're not likely to find any common caliber on a store shelf in a SHTF scenario, so buy enough for yourself, whatever enough means to you.

As the title says im looking to build either an AR or AK. Please only post up if you actually own either of these two weapons. I have a few questions with each.

AK.
#1 Why do you prefer it :More lefty friendly, heavier bullets
#2 can you use it to hunt or is more of a defense type weapon : Yes, to both
#3 What do you have and what all have you done to it and what would you recommend from personal experience i do/not do to it. :Currently an SLR-107F sporting an Ultimak rail with a Primary Arms Gen 7 micro dot. Do what ever makes the gun more usable to you. I'm more of a "traditional/minimalist" when it comes to add ons myself.
#4 what is the average build cost on this frame and how much do you ahve to modify it to make it comfortable to use and also flexible for multiple uses.:If this is your first, buy one and customze it. Building an AK requires quite a few special tools and the era of cheap kits is long gone. you'd be money ahead starting with a ready-built gun.
#5 how easy will it be to find ammo for this if SHTF and how much does ammo run on average as of now. :7.62x39 has been very popular for the past couple of decades, I don't think it would be terribly difficult to locate, 5.45 would take more effort. Right now, $200ish a K.

I owned and modded a SKS and loved the rifle and the rounds where amazing but im not super stuck on it.

AR.
#1 Why do you prefer it: The Lego building set of the gun world
#2 What is a multiple use caliber and what caliber would you recommend i build : .223/5.56, good for everything from Bunnies to people, cheap, common and what your military uses...
#3 What do you have and what all have you done to it and what would you recommend from personal experience i do/not do to it. : Currently a bunch of lowers I need to figure out what to do with. I've had literally a dozen different ARs in as many variations, they are hard to find something "not to do", again, personal choice.
#4 what is the average build cost on this frame and how much do you have to modify it to make it comfortable to use and also flexible for multiple uses. : Sky is the limit, but you can build a functioning rifle for under $600 if you shop smart.
#5 how easy will it be to find ammo for this if SHTF and how much does ammo run on average as of now.: easier than x39, with the added benefit of being a standard military round, price, IIRC is $250-300 a K but I haven't bought any in a while.

Basically im looking for a SHTF type gun that is flexible that i can use to take down up to deer size animals and still use for self defense. I also dont want to have to have a support crew to keep it clean or have to worry about it getting dirty and not working when i need it.
These are just two of the platforms im looking at but i am open to any other ideas you guys have and i know there are alot of options out there so if you could just tell me what you have and such that would be great.

Matt

Hopefully that shows up...

I own Both. I like them both. I am Addicted to the AR though, and I just built my first one almost a year ago.... and have 4 so far.... just one AK, like to get another one sometime...

Military channel just had a program on the other night about this. Pretty interesting show. Triggers: Weapons that changed the world. (AK-47 assault rifle)

Can't go wrong with either one. Choice is yours.

Stay Safe.

You're more than Welcome.

The AK round has a little more knock down power per se, but the AR is more accurate.

On the other hand, the AK is easier to tear down and clean than the AR is.

all boils down to personal prefference.

Stay Safe.

Thanks unka boo and old hick.

As for the rest of you, I really dont care if this has been answered before. If you dont like it and dont have any real experiance or dont want to share dont read/post.

Thanks, Matt

I'm not sure what your intentions are for these type of weapons, but I myself wanted one for that 'just in case' scenario. I looked at every option and ended up going the hi point carbine route. I would have went kel tec or beretta for the higher cap mags but I went the cheap route. For me it gave me the long range option with a lower ammo cost, plus you can consolidate with whatever other handgun you use. I went 9mm but there is a 40 and 45 also. While obviously not as fancy, hybrid seems to fit the bill better then having 2 different ammo boxes

i know that one reason you see alot of ak's used by world troops is becuase they can get beat up and still work i read some where you can bury it in the ground for some years and then pull it out and fire it i guess idk though ive used the m4 in the military and that thing would have miss feeds from sand and stuff but from my knowledge the ak can take a better beating and still work

I'm not sure what your intentions are for these type of weapons, but I myself wanted one for that 'just in case' scenario. I looked at every option and ended up going the hi point carbine route. I would have went kel tec or beretta for the higher cap mags but I went the cheap route. For me it gave me the long range option with a lower ammo cost, plus you can consolidate with whatever other handgun you use. I went 9mm but there is a 40 and 45 also. While obviously not as fancy, hybrid seems to fit the bill better then having 2 different ammo boxes

Thats an interesting thought, My worry would be that i woudnt be able to shoot largish game with it. I like the ammo consolidation idea though. What the price on those, or rather what is your personal experience?

Matt

As for the rest of you, I really dont care if this has been answered before. If you dont like it and dont have any real experiance or dont want to share dont read/post.

Yes I own several of both, have experience on both, but quit being a child and do some research of your own instead. There is more to read out there on this subject than you should have time for. This isn't xbox, you're not going to find ammo caches on the street corner, and if you can't look up ammo prices or be observant enough at a store to price check, you're probably not bright enough to make big boy decisions on your own, which is why you're asking someone to tell you the answer in the first place.

Thats an interesting thought, My worry would be that i woudnt be able to shoot largish game with it. I like the ammo consolidation idea though. What the price on those, or rather what is your personal experience?

Matt

I really don't know much about hunting so I can't comment on that, but for self defense they are great. The hi point 9mm runs 150-350 bucks depending how hard you look and have a lot of good upgrade options for them. There are 15 round mags for the 9mm and my favorite part is it has about as much recoil as a 22 so follow up shots are gravy. I haven't shot the 40/45 but I'd imagine the recoil is still low. Worst case scenario you can pick one up dirt cheap and if you don't like it the resell value is very high. I also haven't tried the kel tec or beretta ( price ) but I've heard good things about them also

Being the minimum leagal cartridge for hunting in Washington is .24 caliber I`d choose the AK, Or the AR in a .308. If your reloading I`d choose the AR as the vast amount of AK mil surp ammo is steel cased..For a general SHTF rig its a tough choice as they were both designed as man stoppers..

I agree with the "one of each" statement, but I am more partial to AR's.

223 a good reloader caliber. Brassmanbrass always has cheap 223 bullets, and everyone and their unka-boo have 223 brass sitting around (well, maybe not unka-boo, he's a bit of a 7.62 lamer..). I'm loading 223 right now for 18 cents/round. Surplus ammo always has good prices on loaded 223 rounds (BVAC and PMC both work greak for plinking around).

Yes I own several of both, have experience on both, but quit being a child and do some research of your own instead. There is more to read out there on this subject than you should have time for. This isn't xbox, you're not going to find ammo caches on the street corner, and if you can't look up ammo prices or be observant enough at a store to price check, you're probably not bright enough to make big boy decisions on your own, which is why you're asking someone to tell you the answer in the first place.

Seriously? Dont come on the thread and be a jerk. Its uncalled for, especially when you dont know me.

Matt

AR. You can get the upper in various calibers for different uses and you only have to buy 1 lower.

In a SHTF situation, you better already have your ammo stockpiled. Steel cased .223 is about $.20 a round which is fine for plinking. Brass cased is a buy under $.30 a round. So, once you decide on the gun, start buying the ammo. Like they say on AR15.com, "Buy it cheap, stack it deep".

They'd also tell you to buy BOTH.

Thanks, Matt
Matt, is that really the approach you want to take to get people to help you? Doesn't sound very friendly to me.
Let me turn it around for you. If you don't like those people's posts, just skip them when reading the tread.

AR. You can get the upper in various calibers for different uses and you only have to buy 1 lower.

In a SHTF situation, you better already have your ammo stockpiled. Steel cased .223 is about $.20 a round which is fine for plinking. Brass cased is a buy under $.30 a round. So, once you decide on the gun, start buying the ammo. Like they say on AR15.com, "Buy it cheap, stack it deep".

They'd also tell you to buy BOTH.

Matt, is that really the approach you want to take to get people to help you? Doesn't sound very friendly to me.
Let me turn it around for you. If you don't like those people's posts, just skip them when reading the tread.

You make a good point my friend. i should have a better attitude so consider it changed, i still dont appreciate being called names and such on an adult forum.

Matt

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads