JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Yes, I am brand new to the sport. I have fired a variety of .22s, but I'm looking to purchase something of a larger caliber. I know that there is an endless debate over which is better, the AR or the AK. I have been doing a lot of research and I understand the benefits and drawbacks of each. However, I've never fired either of them myself. I think it would only be prudent to do so before I lay down a chunk of change. I know there are ranges that will rent out handguns, but is there any way to test out these two platforms prior to purchase? I live in Kitsap County and as far as I can tell neither of our ranges do this. I also don't know anyone that owns a firearm, so that avenue is out also.

Any ideas?

Welcome to the board :) .

Perhaps a board member near to you will read this and offer to let you try their's out? I would, if you want to come down to Clatskanie and bring some ammo for each.

Keith

Depends on the intended application. ARs tend to be more accurate but more prone to jamming (unless you opt for a gas piston AR expect to pay some cash for this option and if you ever need parts they are brand specific there is no milspec piston system) and ARs are very customizable and easy to assemble/build one yourself which appeal to a lot of AR users. Aks are generally cheaper and more reliable but accuracy is usually 2-4 moa at 100yards Vs most ARs will shoot 2" or less. If you plan to scope your rifle ARs are the route to go. I would let ammo prices help determine the decision as well as I can buy 1080 round pack of AK74 ammo for around $175 vs reloading my own .556 which comes out to $180-200 per 1k and that is buying bulk bullets 6k at a time, 8lb kegs of powder, bulk primers and does not include the used brass I buy at $50 per 1k or all the money I have wrapped up in reloading gear. Hope this give you a little to think about.

with the price of AK's where they are today versues what an AR costs I would go with the AR all things being equal. AK's are my favorite but I think there price has to go back down before i will buy another, hence the reason i am looking at another AR.

Did anyone other than me actually read the OP's post? He's asking where he could go to try out each type of rifle before he commits to a purchase, not their relative merits.

Keith

Yes, I am brand new to the sport. I have fired a variety of .22s, but I'm looking to purchase something of a larger caliber. I know that there is an endless debate over which is better, the AR or the AK. I have been doing a lot of research and I understand the benefits and drawbacks of each. However, I've never fired either of them myself. I think it would only be prudent to do so before I lay down a chunk of change. I know there are ranges that will rent out handguns, but is there any way to test out these two platforms prior to purchase? I live in Kitsap County and as far as I can tell neither of our ranges do this. I also don't know anyone that owns a firearm, so that avenue is out also.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the offer trainsktg. If I was closer, I would take you up on the offer. I actually had to look up where Clatskanie was :)

I have a feeling that I will be purchasing both eventually. I'm just trying to decide which to purchase first as it will be years before I acquire another rifle. Also, since I've never fired anything other than a .22 I would like experience both before deciding on one over the other.

Make it down to my neck of the woods Sunday and Ill let you pop off a few rounds from both platforms. Hillsboro, OR. We'll then drive up to a spot I go to.

Both will be basic entry level models. No fancy bells or whistles.
This helps not distract the shooter or first time buyer. They get a real feel for the platforms.

Im also taking a coworker who is in the same boat who hasn't had the opportunity to fire either.

This place has rifles you can rent.
Rental Firearms at Bellevue Gun Club
675 NW Gilman Boulevard
Issaquah WA,98027

AK-47, Yugo M70 (7.62x39mm)
AR-15 by Core-15 with EoTech optic (5.56mm)
ATI AT-94 (9mm)
Colt Carbine (9mm)
FN Herstal PS-90 (5.7x28mm)
FN Herstal SCAR with Trijicon ACOG optic (5.56mm)
Mossberg 590 (12 gauge)
Remington 870 (12 gauge)
Ruger 10-22 (.22LR)
Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 (.22LR)
Sig Sauer 551-A1 (5.56mm)

dwaineshort,

Thanks for that. I might have to check them out. Being in Kitsap County has it's merits, but it does make anything on the other side of the water a day trip that requires more planning on my part.

Anyone know of any resources in Kitsap County or Puyallup/Tacoma area?

dwaineshort,

Thanks for that. I might have to check them out. Being in Kitsap County has it's merits, but it does make anything on the other side of the water a day trip that requires more planning on my part.

Anyone know of any resources in Kitsap County or Puyallup/Tacoma area?
Maybe here. Website not clear on what they have to rent.
New & Used Guns, Indoor Range, Ammunition, Accessories - Buy, Sell, Trade - Federal Way, WA - Federal Way Discount Guns
Federal Way Discount Gunsmore info‎
1401 South 324th Street
Federal Way, WA 98003
(253) 927-5229

The range is actually at the Bellevue location (I-90 and I-405), not the Issaquah location.
This place has rifles you can rent.
Rental Firearms at Bellevue Gun Club
675 NW Gilman Boulevard
Issaquah WA,98027

AK-47, Yugo M70 (7.62x39mm)
AR-15 by Core-15 with EoTech optic (5.56mm)
ATI AT-94 (9mm)
Colt Carbine (9mm)
FN Herstal PS-90 (5.7x28mm)
FN Herstal SCAR with Trijicon ACOG optic (5.56mm)
Mossberg 590 (12 gauge)
Remington 870 (12 gauge)
Ruger 10-22 (.22LR)
Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 (.22LR)
Sig Sauer 551-A1 (5.56mm)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR