JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a 5.56 AR that I built.It has a 20" barrel with a 1:7 twist rate.
They say this will allow the use of heavier 5.56 rounds (69,77 grain).
I'm thinking of a tactical scope for longer ranges and maybe one of the holographic sights for closer in.
Does anyone have any experience with the 45 degree sights I see some of the 3 gun shooters using?
It seems that you could have the best of both without having to remove your optics.
Thanks for any input.
82nd Infidel

its probably the fastest way to go if you get the right red dot at your 1 o clock position

faster than a flip to side or a 1x4 simply tilt the rifle

although my personal favorite is the accupoint 1x4

Personally if you plan to use the red dot close up more often i prefer a 1x4 or aimpoint with fts
if going back and forth a lot or using magnification more, the 1 o clock red dot is preferred

I have a 5.56 AR that I built.It has a 20" barrel with a 1:7 twist rate...

I'm thinking of a tactical scope for longer ranges and maybe one of the holographic sights for closer in.

20" barrel, 1-7 twist, sounds like you are wanting to shoot at longer ranges. Try any one of the many 1-4X24 scopes on the market. Curt's in Oak Grove and NFA in Milwaukie stock different 1-4's, go try one out.

I have a 5.56 AR that I built.It has a 20" barrel with a 1:7 twist rate.
They say this will allow the use of heavier 5.56 rounds (69,77 grain).
Does anyone have any experience with the 45 degree sights I see some of the 3 gun shooters using?
It seems that you could have the best of both without having to remove your optics.
Thanks for any input.
82nd Infidel

I was looking for a combination of a longer distance optic with BDC reticle and also a close range red dot. I ended up choosing a high value option, the Leatherwood CMR (which I am very happy with). It was 300 something dollars and 70 for the Burris PEPR mount I use with it. There are many informative youtube reviews on the scope, check them out!

As the above poster said I like the CMR as well. I have it on one of my .22 AR's right now since I will shoot it lots. Right now I have a couple thousand rounds down range and really like it. I plan on getting one for my .300 Whisper also. Here is the best price I have found, Leatherwood 1-4x24 CMR Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope Kit

DSC_0004-4.jpg

While it does ok at longer ranges if that is what you are really after then you need a quality long range scope. I really like the IOR 4-14x50 with MP8 Dot reticle and is what I have on my "target" AR and "target" M1A. I am going to put the 6-24 version on my .300 WM.

DSC06840.jpg

For the most part there is only so much crap you can hang off your gun and still have it functional. Yes you can put a long range scope, and a dot and a light and bipod and a and a and a........... At some point it just gets to be too much. The competitive shooters have guns set up for a very specific and limited role in a controlled setting. Is that how you are going to use your gun? I cant say what is right or wrong for you but look at how you plan on using and that will help determine what you need.

Example the top AR is very light and handy. I carry it around lots and shoot the heck out of it. I carry it in the muzzle down ready position on the sling while riding my ATV lots. It is set on 1x for quick shots and can be zoomed in for longer shots. On the other side of that my target AR weighs a ton and is next to impossible to shoot standing unsupported. But with the properly adjusted stock, the good scope, the bipod I am easily able to hit anything within 700 yard.

I don't know if you are riding on public, or private land, but in Oregon, in OHV areas, this applies;

Class B Traffic Violations:
• Operating ATV in posted restricted area (821.192)
• Committing unlawful damage (821.280/285)
• Dangerous operation of ATV (821.290)
• Operating ATV with loaded firearm (821.240)

I also found this, for Washington:

RCW 46.09.130 Additional violations — Penalty.
(1) No person may operate a nonhighway vehicle in such a way as to endanger human life.
(2) No person shall operate a nonhighway vehicle in such a way as to run down or harass any wildlife or animal, nor carry, transport, or convey any
loaded weapon in or upon, nor hunt from, any nonhighway vehicle except by permit issued by the director of fish and wildlife under RCW 77.32.237: PROVIDED, That it shall not be unlawful to carry, transport, or convey a loaded pistol in or upon a nonhighway vehicle if the person complies with the terms and conditions of chapter 9.41 RCW.
(3) For the purposes of this section, "hunt" means any effort to kill, injure, capture, or purposely disturb a wild animal or bird.
(4) Violation of this section is a gross misdemeanor.

It appears that the 2 states have opposed views on this.

Ligito are you referring to my post?

If so where do I say loaded?

Second between myself and a couple neighbors there is over 1000 acres of private land I ride. Out there an LEO has to have PC to even get out there let alone try and charge me if I was carrying loaded.

Third I am very well aware of the law and have never had contact with an LEO while my rifle was loaded. Just like I have never had a seatbelt violation yet I dont wear one and get pulled over lots for speeding.

I don't know if you are riding on public, or private land, but in Oregon, in OHV areas, this applies;

Class B Traffic Violations:
• Operating ATV in posted restricted area (821.192)
• Committing unlawful damage (821.280/285)
• Dangerous operation of ATV (821.290)
• Operating ATV with loaded firearm (821.240)

I also found this, for Washington:

RCW 46.09.130 Additional violations — Penalty.
(1) No person may operate a nonhighway vehicle in such a way as to endanger human life.
(2) No person shall operate a nonhighway vehicle in such a way as to run down or harass any wildlife or animal, nor carry, transport, or convey any
loaded weapon in or upon, nor hunt from, any nonhighway vehicle except by permit issued by the director of fish and wildlife under RCW 77.32.237: PROVIDED, That it shall not be unlawful to carry, transport, or convey a loaded pistol in or upon a nonhighway vehicle if the person complies with the terms and conditions of chapter 9.41 RCW.
(3) For the purposes of this section, "hunt" means any effort to kill, injure, capture, or purposely disturb a wild animal or bird.
(4) Violation of this section is a gross misdemeanor.

It appears that the 2 states have opposed views on this.

Weren't the Oregon laws changed recently to allow riding atv's with a weapon?

Daniel Defense makes a 1 o'clock mount designed to be mounted inbetween your scope rings. Looks somethin like this sporting a primary arms microdot (not mine):

100_0321.jpg

TNVC also makes offset scope accessory rings in various sizes:
<broken link removed>

You could also just use a 45 degree offset picatinny rail if you have a railed foreend (or mount a piece if it's got A2 handguards but I don't know how well that would hold zero).

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top