JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Took one of my latest builds out this morning. It shot really well, once I got it shooting. So, this is not the first time I've fired the upper, but it's a new lower I just built out recently, and this is the maiden voyage with that upper on this lower.

The problem I experienced happened right out of the chute. I popped in a magazine and pulled the charging handle to chamber a round, though it didn't quite 'feel' right when I let the handle go - it seemed to close almost too easily. I went to fire a shot and just click and nothing. I waited, checked the chamber, and it was empty. Pulled the handle again, same thing. Removed and reseated the magazine, recharged and nothing again. Tried another magazine and same thing. Did a quick search online on my phone and someone suggested locking the bolt back, then trying it, and darned if that didn't work. After that, each round loaded normally.

I'm newer to AR's, so this is a problem I'm not familiar with. Any suggestions as to what may cause this and how I can fix it? I know I'm pulling the charging handle all the way back, so I don't know why locking the bolt back and then loading would be any different. Thoughts??

FYI, this is the AR I was shooting today, and below that is a shot of my 100 yard group as I was dialing in the scope. For the first time out with this setup, including the new scope, using off the shelf 55g ammo, I'm pretty darn pleased. I'm sure others could do much better, but as 100 yard shooting is newer to me, I'm happy.

Side note - a guy had set up to shoot just a few benches down from me. We had chatted briefly during cold range about our guns, etc. I noted he had an interesting chronograph that didn't have any wires to shoot through. Just a big box - he said it used radar to chrono the rounds, pretty cool. As I was packing up, he had noted that he had stopped shooting for a bit because my muzzle brake was getting picked up by his chrono - throwing him off. But rather than interrupt me, he let me shoot and waited for me to take a break. I wish he had told me earlier, I would have worked with him to take turns.

IMG_8585.jpg IMG_8784.JPG

Reread your post, realized that your charging is off not your overall system.

My advise is futile.

Last Edited:
are you doing this from a close bolt? sometimes guys load 1 too many rounds in the mag (31 in a 30rd mag) and with a closed bolt the mag wont seat all the way. literally, i know it sounds dumb but ive done it.

also, are you SURE you are pulling the charging handle ALL the way back? maybe something is obstructing your charging handle or buffer? is your charging handle hitting your stock? is there debris in your buffer tube?

are you doing this from a close bolt? sometimes guys load 1 too many rounds in the mag (31 in a 30rd mag) and with a closed bolt the mag wont seat all the way. literally, i know it sounds dumb but ive done it.

also, are you SURE you are pulling the charging handle ALL the way back? maybe something is obstructing your charging handle or buffer? is your charging handle hitting your stock? is there debris in your buffer tube?

Yes, I was doing it from a closed bolt, which I've done before without an issue. When I'm out just to target shoot, I typically only load 10-15 rounds in a magazine, so I know a full mag wasn't the issue. I also had a metal mag and a PMAG, both had the same issue. The mag not seating fully did cross my mind, so I was sure to give it a good smack to seat it each time. When I locked the bolt back, the problem went away, but I've loaded mags with a closed bolt before and not had an issue, so this seemed odd to me.

I did consider whether I was pulling the charging handle back fully. The layout of this gun is that there isn't anything in the way preventing me from pulling it back all the way. I did make sure I felt myself hitting the back of the pull before I released it. I wouldn't expect any debris in the buffer tube as I just finished building this lower, everything is new and clean.

The issue did only happen when I loaded a mag on a closed bolt, though it was never with a fully loaded magazine. If there are issues with loading AR's on a closed bolt, that's news to me.

Yes, I was doing it from a closed bolt, which I've done before without an issue. When I'm out just to target shoot, I typically only load 10-15 rounds in a magazine, so I know a full mag wasn't the issue. I also had a metal mag and a PMAG, both had the same issue. The mag not seating fully did cross my mind, so I was sure to give it a good smack to seat it each time. When I locked the bolt back, the problem went away, but I've loaded mags with a closed bolt before and not had an issue, so this seemed odd to me.

I did consider whether I was pulling the charging handle back fully. The layout of this gun is that there isn't anything in the way preventing me from pulling it back all the way. I did make sure I felt myself hitting the back of the pull before I released it. I wouldn't expect any debris in the buffer tube as I just finished building this lower, everything is new and clean.

The issue did only happen when I loaded a mag on a closed bolt, though it was never with a fully loaded magazine. If there are issues with loading AR's on a closed bolt, that's news to me.
which buffer are you using?

reason i ask is my buddy used to have this issue but it wasnt really an issue. he had a kyntec hydraulic buffer in and when the bolt would stop it was not all the way back until you pulled it back hard thr last 1/2" because the hydraulic ram in the buffer needed compressed.

i showed this to him... he laughed and said "i hate you" lol

Try other mags. Consider some sort of buffer/spring non compatibility. A default condition would be running a OEM buffer and spring. Make sure the mag catch arm protrudes into the mag well just a little. Another default condition would be a OEM charging handle.

Safely load the rifle on a closed bolt slapping the mag bottom smartly. Slowly retract the charging handle all the way to the rear. See if the bolt stripes the first round. Make very sure the muzzle is pointed in a safe direction doing this. The first round should strip off.

Long shot. Change out the buffer tube.

Are you riding the bolt handle when you close the bolt? That is a no no right there if you are.

Definitely not doing that, something I learned a while back. I also don't ride pistol slides forward for the same reason. Good thing to consider though.

Mayhaps the mag is seating on the closed bolt, in that lower, but just a smidgen "off". Bolt open and the tiny bit "off" is removed & your gtg.

A few of our AR's won't seat various mags on a closed bolt, so we've taken to seating on an open bolt just out of habit. Probably should go back thru them and figure out which is which & such, and label mags range only...but our system works for us now.

Mayhaps the mag is seating on the closed bolt, in that lower, but just a smidgen "off". Bolt open and the tiny bit "off" is removed & your gtg.

A few of our AR's won't seat various mags on a closed bolt, so we've taken to seating on an open bolt just out of habit. Probably should go back thru them and figure out which is which & such, and label mags range only...but our system works for us now.
i feel like i really have to push the mag in hard when loading it with a closed bolt. it would make sense the mag isnt getting seated all the way in @etrain16 situation

Try other mags. Consider some sort of buffer/spring non compatibility. A default condition would be running a OEM buffer and spring. Make sure the mag catch arm protrudes into the mag well just a little. Another default condition would be a OEM charging handle.

Safely load the rifle on a closed bolt slapping the mag bottom smartly. Slowly retract the charging handle all the way to the rear. See if the bolt stripes the first round. Make very sure the muzzle is pointed in a safe direction doing this. The first round should strip off.

Long shot. Change out the buffer tube.

I had two different mags with me today - tried both, same issue. Mag catch arm seems to be right where it should be - I've built several lowers previously and haven't run into an issue with the catch. Definitely getting a positive lock/catch when I seat the magazine and a nice free drop when I release it.

I did try slowing letting the bolt forward once or twice, but didn't see it strip a round off. But again, if I locked the bolt back first, it would grab the round.

I'll keep the buffer in mind as a possible issue, though the gun itself ran 100% once I had a round in the chamber.

No solution other than some that have been mentioned as I have never experienced this sort of thing. :confused:

On the bright side the bolt will lock back when the mag is empty so the second mag should run flawlessly. :D

No solution other than some that have been mentioned as I have never experienced this sort of thing. :confused:

On the bright side the bolt will lock back when the mag is empty so the second mag should run flawlessly. :D

Yep, the gun ran flawlessly once I got a round chambered. Just seems odd to me that on a closed bolt I can't get it to strip off a round when I pull the charging handle. I am pretty sure the issue is me, just not sure what else to check. As noted above, maybe the buffer is something to take a closer look at.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top