JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have very little to none knowledge on AR type rifles. Mainly because I cannot afford one. I figured a way get one is to build one, buying parts as I go along building it, like a project.

I've seen some guides on some websites on how to put together lowers and uppers and it actually doesn't look that hard. My question is, are all lowers compatible with all uppers. Can I put a Mega lower on a Bushy upper, etc? If not, do you guys have any charts or material you can post?

What do you guys think on what I am doing? Would I be better off saving the cash and just buying one.

Thanks for your help.
Hugo

Yep, any AR-15 upper should fit any AR-15 lower. No problem with a Mega lower/Bushy upper, etc.

I recently went through exactly what you are doing. If you want to build one to save money, you are going to spend more than you would have just buying a complete one.

You can get a pretty good AR on this board for ~$700 if you are patient. I recommend putting the money away as you can afford it, and jump at the first nice AR for ~700 that you like.

+1. I thought I was going to build one until I actually priced and located all of the parts. I ended up saving about $200-300 by just shopping and buying at a good price. A new Del-Ton can be picked up at most shows and shops for about 800-850 and they are fine guns. I have one and love it. By buying new or used you are only paying mark-up on one thing rather than a whole bunch of parts.

IIRC you can't mix colt's with the clones due to their take down pin size differences. Also, colt lowers can't accept most after market trigger groups. I'm sure Wichaka knows tons more about it than I do considering that he moon lights as an armorer.

I also moonlight as a singer...but I think I'll keep my day job!

You are correct, Colt semi-auto AR's use a .170" diameter fire control pins (Hammer-Trigger), as everything else on the market uses .155"

All Colt full autos use the .155" dia pins. This changed in the late 60's - early 70's if I remember right.

Colt used .155" pins with everything before then.

You can mix and match with Colt if you obtain the take down pin bushings, that allow the smaller pins to fit.

If you are like some folks it is sometimes easier to buy parts here and there. If you have the problem of dipping into those funds for something else before you get it saved up then you might be better off just buying a lower when you have the funds for it, then a parts kit, etc. As far as saving money you probably won't unless you don't mind buying used parts. The lower receiver is one of the lower cost items so I would buy that new. Usually many people that buy complete ARs end up 'upgrading' them and sell the stock take-off parts for a reasonable discount over new. A stock, or set of handguards, for example is something you can usually find at a good price used.

The Colt 6920 is also compatible with the clones. That model currently uses .155 takedown pins.

Colt auto receivers have a .250" take down pins., with .155" hammer/trigger pins.

Semi-auto receivers have .312" take down pins, and .170" hammer/trigger pins. Which is inclusive from 1964 to 1991

From late 1991 to present, both sizes are used depending on the receiver. But still have the .170" hammer/trigger pins.

Are we confused yet?

Now, if Jupiter happens to be aligning with Mars at the time that Colt machines........ :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top