JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So attempting to properly index an SLR muzzle brake on a 9mm barrel and having and issue with using a crush washer. I have tightened and loosened and tightened 20+ times and cannot get the bottom of the muzzle brake past 4:30/5:00 and I need it at 6:00. Now I did notice that when I do not use a crush washer it appears as it would be perfectly timed.... Do I need to use the crush washer? If I do not, does the thread gap between barrel and muzzle brake present an issue?
This is the only thing holding me up at this point with completing my build.

Thank you for your help.

Is it possible with a new crush washer that it will time correctly further out?

Not sure on using used in this application.

Is it possible with a new crush washer that it will time correctly further out?

Not sure on using used in this application.
Sorry, it is a new crush washer I am using. The bottom portion of the muzzle brake started at 1:00 and with all the loosening and tightening I have gotten it to the current 4:30/5:00. I do not think I can get it any further..... Not sure what to do or if using no crush washer is an option..

Contact the manufacturer. They would know. I do know that there are different thickness shim washers to help in this type of problem.

If it times up without the crush washer by all means leave it off. Rarely do they time up without.
Anytime I thread and install a break I always time them so you don't need that darn ugly washer. If your afraid of it possibly coming loose, use a drop of blue loctite.

Also if you do want to use a crush washer and having trouble getting it to time up that last little bit..
Take a big flat file and take the washer small taper side down and take a few file strokes to the washer. All you need to do is remove a few thousandths of material from that small pointy end of the crush washer.. and like magic that crush washer will be timed up perfect.

If it times up without the crush washer by all means leave it off. Rarely do they time up without.
Anytime I thread and install a break I always time them so you don't need that darn ugly washer. If your afraid of it possibly coming loose, use a drop of blue loctite.

Also if you do want to use a crush washer and having trouble getting it to time up that last little bit..
Take a big flat file and take the washer small taper side down and take a few file strokes to the washer. All you need to do is remove a few thousandths of material from that small pointy end of the crush washer.. and like magic that crush washer will be timed up perfect.
Thank you. If I go the no washer route, does the small gap between muzzle device and barrel (threads that would be covered by the washer) created any performance or safety issue? Aesthetic wise it will be fine as that will be covered by the SLR hand-guard.

Not to be captain obvious, but sometimes the crush washer will compress a lot more than I might think, which means tightening it down further will get it to go from 4:30 to 6:00 as you mentioned.

Not to be captain obvious, but sometimes the crush washer will compress a lot more than I might think, which means tightening it down further will get it to go from 4:30 to 6:00 as you mentioned.
That was my thought too, however I have been unsuccessful in getting it that final small distance.... Maybe I am just to weak,,,:(

Sandpaper might be better since you can wet sand the washer on a flat surface and get an even reduction on the surface.

Not sure if you have a wife, but they usually have those sandpaper nail files...my wife had a few of those up and disappear :)

Sandpaper might be better since you can wet sand the washer on a flat surface and get an even reduction on the surface.

Not sure if you have a wife, but they usually have those sandpaper nail files...my wife had a few of those up and disappear :)
Yes my wife has a few... Thank you for the idea.

i got rid of crush washers and started using jam nuts. the dpms brake and others come with a jam nut. i bought a 5 pack of them on amazon for a few bucks

Well I attempted to use no crush washer and could not get it timed correctly. Took a small jewelers file to the crush washer and with a little trial and error and a dab of lithium anti seize and WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER! Thank you all for the help. Once the buid is complete later this week I will post some pics. Waiting on the FDE Shockwave Blade and FDE/Black Raptor CH.

If it comes loose, contact me. I've got a kit of several shims that start out at .001 thickness and up from there. I've got several of my AR's timed perfectly. They are generally small enough that they literally disappear once installed.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top