JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Do you people stock up on the good ones, such as Pmags, or whatever is cheapest, such as aluminum mags? Or a mixture? I'm debating if it is worth the extra cost to buy Pmags or not.

I buy pmags, they aren't that much more expensive you know. Only $14/ea after all. How many magazines do you need? I guess if you buy 10 at a time it is the difference between $100 for regular mags or $140 for pmags but still, it isn't *that* bad. It isn't like buying $50 sig mags lol.

I buy pmags, they aren't that much more expensive you know. Only $14/ea after all. How many magazines do you need? I guess if you buy 10 at a time it is the difference between $100 for regular mags or $140 for pmags but still, it isn't *that* bad. It isn't like buying $50 sig mags lol.

Well cheap aluminium mags can be found for $5, while nice windowed Pmags cost about 15 each. So there is a huge price difference. Ten magazines and that's an extra $100.

Well cheap aluminium mags can be found for $5, while nice windowed Pmags cost about 15 each. So there is a huge price difference. Ten magazines and that's an extra $100.

Where are they $5? Old used and abused GI mags are not something I'd want to buy except for range use. Bad magazines are the #1 cause of malfunctions in firearms. Maybe if I was going to take a carbine class, had no magazines and needed 20+ right away I'd go for them but other than that, meh.

Now if these are new production mags for $5... that's quite a deal, link please! :D

I have a mix of both Aluminum and Pmags. As I found out at the last PR match, green GI followers suck. Had a double feed that wound up tilting the follower locking it in place. I was unable to make the mag work again on the clock so it ruined that stage for me. So, all my aluminum mags that have GI followers are getting switched to Mag Pul followers. And thats that. Also, treat magazines like they are disposable (when your buying them, not when you are using them ;) ) and you will be in good shape.

I have a mix of both Aluminum and Pmags. As I found out at the last PR match, green GI followers suck. Had a double feed that wound up tilting the follower locking it in place. I was unable to make the mag work again on the clock so it ruined that stage for me. So, all my aluminum mags that have GI followers are getting switched to Mag Pul followers. And thats that. Also, treat magazines like they are disposable (when your buying them, not when you are using them ;) ) and you will be in good shape.

I have a few c-products aluminum mags with anti-tilt followers. They are alright, much better than the green GI followers. I prefer my pmags... but for $3/ea that's hard to pass up.

I have a few c-products aluminum mags with anti-tilt followers. They are alright, much better than the green GI followers. I prefer my pmags... but for $3/ea that's hard to pass up.

yes, yes they are hard to pass up at $3ea ($4.20ea with shipping). I am a total mag whore. Kind of nice to have extras. That said I do need to get more Pmags at some point. I also want to get some of the new mags that are coming out from Troy Ind. They look kind of interesting. Also need to get a few more 20rd mags as well. I really prefer them for bench and prone shooting at the range. The old colt mags and the one d&h are getting a little "battle worn".

Just called and asked. They are the complete magazines!!! I might order the limit of 10, heck after shipping, the total comes to $41.14 for ten magazines shipped to your doorstep.

My bad experience with C-Products 9mm AR mags would stop me from buying those. I just buy a couple P-Mags at a time (whenever I see a decent deal) and work those into the mix. Not to sound like some kind of mag snob but the P-Mags work for me, and I don't see the point of having low priced mags that may or may not work, even for "range use". When I use my mags at the range part of what I am "testing" is the mags' ability to do it's job. If I am using $3 mags that I don't plan on using if I NEED them to work, I am depriving myself of testing time to prove to me my go to mags do what they are supposed to do. I'd rather have 10 mags I can trust than 30 that I am unsure of.

I buy aluminum USGI mags but recently I picked up a couple p-mags with the window and am impressed with the quality.
Where do you find windowed pmags for $15 ea? The ones I got were from Midway and they were $17.50 or so.

This is a simple question to answer, if we look at it from two different philosophies of use. Let's say you have a $600 to $800 AR15 that you don't plan on investing a lot of time and money into, and plan on using it for recreational use. Then with that low investment in mind, those cheaper magazines should fit your needs just fine, where if one or two go down, you will have 8 more out of a set of 10 to keep running through for the rest of the day. Now lets say you have a $1200 to $1600 AR15, that you plan on investing time and money into if you haven' already, with plans on running it as a fighting platform. Then your high investment in the rifle will direct you towards buying the more expensive magazines, where you want to be sure that every magazine is going to feed and function flawlessly. For this mindset it is better to have fewer magazines that have been shown to work under adverse conditions, than to have many magazines that have reliability issues when you run your rifle hard.

Pmag's are cheap! $14 to $17 a piece is a cheap investment in quality. Why own a thousand dollar rifle and use garbage $5 mags in it? Just end up with an expensive single shot rifle. Ask a buddy of mine that owns a ruger mini 14 and uses the el cheapo no name mags he finds in the back of one of those great catalogs that you can also order books on how to make your sks "full auto" or get your copy of the anarchist cookbook. That dudes gun double feeds or some other stupid malfuction every 3 rounds because he won't open his wallet and buy some ruger factory mags (which were the only one's to ever work worth a s*** in mine).

Only aluminum mags I own anymore are Colt. Had a couple aluminum cproduct mags give me reliability issues so I threw those 2 away and gave the rest to friends with a warning I no longer trusted the mags. Not saying cproducts aluminum mags aren't good (they had been fine for thousands of rounds) or that aluminum "g.i. contract" mags aren't good, but once I have a bad taste in my mouth for something, I get rid of it. Gotta remember, originally M-16 mags were meant to be somewhat "disposable" on the battlefield.

For the most part, I own Pmags, h&k high reliability mags (which are sorta spendy and heavy but I've never had any issue with one and abused the **** out of them), and stainless steel cproduct mags (which seem to work flawlessly).

As far as my experience in life goes, sometimes you get what you pay for. Cheap mags may be ok for a guy who's just into plinking, but I'm an anal retentive bastard and when my gun malfuctions I go ape excrement. Not to mention, I'd like to think every gun I own now I could trust to defend my life with.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top