JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here was a random thought of mine I had while in a crawlspace and i came accross various aged plastics, how well does the polymer of the Pmags hold their age?

After seeing how brittle the aged plastics were left in that crawlspace after 5-10 years.. I can only imagine the same for the Pmags if left to the elements in a SHTF scenario..
So it only reaffirmed my faith in USGI mags. I know over time theyll hold up.

Just a thought.

So I don't keep my equipment in the elements, nor so I plan too, unfortunately, if things came to an Shtf situation, I will run out of ammo far before a breakdown of a polymer. At least that's my thought

So I don't keep my equipment in the elements, nor so I plan too, unfortunately, if things came to an Shtf situation, I will run out of ammo far before a breakdown of a polymer. At least that's my thought

Every polymer mag Ive seen hasn't held up under hard use.
Ive had the feed lips crack and had one crack down the spine from a simple drop onto cement.
That hasnt happened to any GI mags of mine.. After experianced that Pmags to me became like every plastic mag Ive ever owned.

While magpul mags run exceptionally well they aren't the exception.. is all Im saying.
Its easy to become too partial in opinion about something someone enjoys.. But it doesn't mean it doesn't have its faults.

Even time, not just elements can break down polymer, metal etc.
which will last longer depending on circumstances is anyones guess.

Buying Pmags cheap and stacking deep may not play out as well as folks think is all Im saying... Being thin polymer.. Im not so sure every tier zero operator out there can baby his Pmag from rifle to pouch in every situation. A good drop from here to there may end the life of a plastic mag.

Being well rounded mag-wise may be a better prepping strategy.

Every polymer mag Ive seen hasn't held up under hard use.
Ive had the feed lips crack and had one crack down the spine from a simple drop onto cement.
That hasnt happened to any GI mags of mine.. After experianced that Pmags to me became like every plastic mag Ive ever owned.

While magpul mags run exceptionally well they aren't the exception.. is all Im saying.
Its easy to become too partial in opinion about something someone enjoys.. But it doesn't mean it doesn't have its faults.

Even time, not just elements can break down polymer, metal etc.
which will last longer depending on circumstances is anyones guess.

Buying Pmags cheap and stacking deep may not play out as well as folks think is all Im saying... Being thin polymer.. Im not so sure every tier zero operator out there can baby his Pmag from rifle to pouch in every situation. A good drop from here to there may end the life of a plastic mag.

Being well rounded mag-wise may be a better prepping strategy.

Good point, I agree, in a combat scenario, most don't retrieve mags after the battle, drop and go. At the range on nan average day, it's bang x30, then remove, tuck away, insert new. In the woods shooting or at an action rifle range, a little different. Less controlled and they hit the deck pretty hard, esp the way I eject the mag by rotating the rifle to sling the mag out, but I do that for a couple reasons. (It looks cool, not goin to lie). Then again, I don't or hope not have the thought I will be fighting a battle outside my carpeted home. I unfortunately do think my semi auto rifles will be a match for fully auto assault team if the government comes for me, maybe if I need to ward off a few idiots if everything fails. I would bet over 85%of the folks on this forum does not shoot for survival! I am part of that! it's a hobby! a recreation and a passion! but now I am not an operator anymore, I don't shoot for survival. Couple reason, areas to train and really train are limited or non existing. I read about a lot of folks going to classes, but shooting and tactical/survival shooting is accomplished by training. High stress, little sleep, and less than ideal environments are essential to train and be ready. One time of dry fire through a shoot house does not cut it. Anyways, sorry to bore, just my opinion.

I like the Lancer LW AWM mags, particularly the translucent smoke versions: durable polymer body, steel feedlips, and the translucent plastic means you don't have to rely on just a window to see your round count.
This. I was gonna say get a couple different types and see which ones function best in your boom stick, for feed reliability, locking back after the last round and drop free during a mag change. Also test them in any load bearing equiptment, battle belt or plate carrier. I like magpul mags but I don't love them, those wide bases (floorplates) make them hard to fit in some mag pouches, otherwise they are very nice. Lancers are excellent but I have to pop them fairly hard to get them to seat on a closed bolt.

Another vote for Magpul here but I also love the Lancer Systems L5 AWM Advanced Warfighter Magazine. Functions flawless, Steel feed lips and looks real good on my Tavor!

I have at least that many of every kind and all of them work perfect. The only issue I have had was a 10 rounder.

With the experience I have had,if I was buying that many again I would go on price first.You may have a few that don't work,(not my experience) and then you buy a few more.

Last Edited:
i like the USGI ones the best. Can't stand magpul but if they are cheap I will buy them. Have heard good things about the lancer ones but never tried them out plus they are more expensive.

I have a few of the 20round lancer mags. I like them. The 20 round mags weren't that much more than the 20round p mags. I have mostly p mags, haven't had any feed issues from any of them.

Here was a random thought of mine I had while in a crawlspace and i came accross various aged plastics, how well does the polymer of the Pmags hold their age?

After seeing how brittle the aged plastics were left in that crawlspace after 5-10 years.. I can only imagine the same for the Pmags if left to the elements in a SHTF scenario..
So it only reaffirmed my faith in USGI mags. I know over time theyll hold up.

Just a thought.

I doubt that pmags are made of from the same recipe as whatever it was you found in your crawl space.
I've not run over p mags in a 4X4, but I've regularly dropped them, loaded and unloaded on dirt, in puddles and on concrete. They have scraps and nicks on some of the edges, but none have hiccuped yet.
I have bundles of GI mags and a few of the smoked lancers, all seem to work fine, but as another poster mentioned, they're consumables.
You've replaced all the plastic followers in your USGI mags then ?

Last Edited:
I doubt that pmags are made of from the same recipe as whatever it was you found in your crawl space.
I've not run over p mags in a 4X4, but I've regularly dropped them, loaded and unloaded on dirt, in puddles and on concrete. They have scraps and nicks on some of the edges, but none have hiccuped yet.
I have bundles of GI mags and a few of the smoked lancers, all seem to work fine, but as another poster mentioned, they're consumables.
You've replaced all the plastic followers in your USGI mags then ?

First off, I work IN crawlspaces.
Many many things found in them, metals, plastics.. All plastics can have a different polymer blend.. However the Pmags are no exception.

Do they work well as range mags, sure.
Do they just about feed 100%, sure.
Are they a great product, sure.

Can they withstand a good'ol drop when fully loaded..
No. Perhaps if they land right. But Ive had more than my fair share crack down the spine and around the feed lips.

Magpul Fanboys will defend them tooth and nail, but when I made my comment about purchasing mags for storage or SHTF I mentioned to be well rounded and invest in some GI mags as well.

As for the follower, yes the attempt to discredit my opinion is moot.
A follower is by far the least of my concerns and can be manufactured out of many various materials should the chemical composition break down over time and it in turn fail.

The primary issue is an entire mag body
Yes the weak point is the feed lips on polymer mags as well as the fusion point and floor plate

AK guys know what I mean.

Also, Being made of polymer with excessive exposure to the elements it like everything else in this world it will break down, but my opinion is that itll break down sooner than a GI mag.

MAGPUL PMAG MOE 5.56 30 Round Black

Pmags $9.49 ea with quantity discounts. I think 10 is around $100 shipped to your door.

You can also get the Magpul PMAG M3 30 round mags for a dollar and some change more. I'm pretty sure Hartatac has flat rate shipping too!

I just ordered 10 M3 pmags for $149.95 but that includes free shipping and a 50$ Palmetto State Armory gift card. So in reality, I paid $99.95 since I already have soemthing else I am going to use the 50$ gift card on from PSA.

I was thinking of asking this question the other day. Now that the polymer mags have been around for years, is anyone noticing any degradation in the plastic? Also, how many of you store the PMags with the dust cover or whatever they call it? I heard you want to use them in order to keep pressure off the feed lips, loaded or unloaded. Has anyone that doesn't use the cover ever had trouble with the feed lips on PMags?

I was thinking of asking this question the other day. Now that the polymer mags have been around for years, is anyone noticing any degradation in the plastic? Also, how many of you store the PMags with the dust cover or whatever they call it? I heard you want to use them in order to keep pressure off the feed lips, loaded or unloaded. Has anyone that doesn't use the cover ever had trouble with the feed lips on PMags?

I've heard rumors that the feed lips can degrade if left loaded for EXTENSIVE periods of time, but to be honest, for 10 bucks a pop, I'm not too concerned with them wearing down. First off, it would take MANY YEARS for the plastic to degrade down to effect reliability. Second, I always keep my PMAGS loaded, and never have had any issues. I do like the dust cover things tho

With pmags or any non steel re-inforced feed lips, I definitely use the dust covers for long term storage. Wanna protect those feed lips!

Short term storage... Not a big deal.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads